Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2022, 11:49 AM

1,655 posts, read 778,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But even here, your implication is that using curse words is not "acting white"--your argument seems to be that "white English" is "proper English".
I never implied using curse words is not “acting white”. In fact, I have another thread here asking why everyone of all races curses so much nowadays. I was simply emphasizing the degree to which she valued education and that insulting the pursuit of it would likely be something she would be insulted by. A flippant “you’re acting white” remark could be taken as an insult to everything she strived for her entire life and tried to impart on children as an educator of 50+ years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2022, 12:20 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,475,595 times
Formal education isn't the only education. Given the demographics of this forum, it's not surprising (if this story is even true) that an older black person would be partial to formal education because: colonialism. When you've been denied something for so long, you may start to feel deprived. But the thing you're "missing out" on. Is it even good for you? Question is rhetorical.

Bottom line is, the world [appears to be] changing, and some people can't take it. One can see why The Book talked about a generation dying off.

Old 08-24-2022, 12:21 PM

5,681 posts, read 3,179,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
Not sure how you draw that conclusion. Some people are just not trigger happy with labeling everything “racist”.
Well, you have skated around it a lot (my opinion) in this thread. You have implied that there is a right way, and a wrong way to talk, and blacks talk wrong, and any white person who sounds like a black person is just putting on and/or showing their low class.
Soooo, maybe not racist, just classist.

Old 08-24-2022, 12:22 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,765,736 times
Quote:
Where did I ever say anything was inferior to anything else? Obviously there is a correct way to spell words and what not but doing so is not something exclusive to any one race.
Right here:

Quote:
What is “talking white”? Pronouncing and spelling words the way they are meant to be said/spelled isn’t exclusive to any one race. Most of us do at least 12-13 years of schooling where that is in part a goal of teachers.
Talking white is "correct" in other words.

(And nice try trying to bring spelling into the discussion. Your OP was clearly about accents and pronunciation.)

Although please feel free to correct my assumptions by confirming your belief that "talking white" and "talking black" are equally of value, equally desirable, and equally correct.

Old 08-24-2022, 12:28 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,765,736 times
Quote:
Noticing, understanding and discussing human behavior from more of an intellectual perspective isn’t really whining and fussing to me.
There is nothing "intellectual" about your argument. In fact, I think it's rather naïve, simplistic and uneducated. It doesn't even skirt the surface of history, sociology or linguistics and relies heavily on anecdotal observations from your limited life experience.

Old 08-24-2022, 12:32 PM

6,311 posts, read 4,215,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But even here, your implication is that using curse words is not "acting white"--your argument seems to be that "white English" is "proper English".

Old 08-24-2022, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Formal education isn't the only education. Given the demographics of this forum, it's not surprising (if this story is even true) that an older black person would be partial to formal education because: colonialism. When you've been denied something for so long, you may start to feel deprived. But the thing you're "missing out" on. Is it even good for you? Question is rhetorical.

Bottom line is, the world [appears to be] changing, and some people can't take it. One can see why The Book talked about a generation dying off.
Children all over the country rebelling saying formal education is colonialism. Haven’t I heard that math is also racist in some way? I guess I’m in the thought process that “correct” either objectively exists or it doesn’t.

Old 08-24-2022, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Well, you have skated around it a lot (my opinion) in this thread. You have implied that there is a right way, and a wrong way to talk, and blacks talk wrong, and any white person who sounds like a black person is just putting on and/or showing their low class.
Soooo, maybe not racist, just classist.
I guess that opens up another discussion — is there a right and wrong way to speak? Does this right and wrong carry over to spelling words how one speaks? Could a child go through the entirety of their schooling spelling lik dis rite her and be gittin dim good grades?

I never said blacks talk the wrong way. Look at my second post. I said there is a way of talking that is predominately found in the black community. That doesn’t imply that all blacks talk a certain way.

Old 08-24-2022, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Right here:

Talking white is "correct" in other words.

(And nice try trying to bring spelling into the discussion. Your OP was clearly about accents and pronunciation.)

Although please feel free to correct my assumptions by confirming your belief that "talking white" and "talking black" are equally of value, equally desirable, and equally correct.
Talking correctly is talking correctly. You tried to lay a trap to get me to define talking correctly as being a synonym for “talking white”. It didn’t work — move on.

Old 08-24-2022, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
There is nothing "intellectual" about your argument. In fact, I think it's rather naïve, simplistic and uneducated. It doesn't even skirt the surface of history, sociology or linguistics and relies heavily on anecdotal observations from your limited life experience.
You are free to have your thoughts. I welcome opposing opinions. If you’re participating with multiple posts over the course of days you are stimulated on some level and that in itself can be a good thing even if the discussion lacks scholarly insight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology