Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2022, 02:01 PM

20,417 posts, read 14,709,812 times

Advertisements

When I took a week long trip to New York to stay with some family up there, I started to shift my speech to pick up the accent. When I spent time in North Carolina with family, the same thing happened. I watched a weekend long Monty Python marathon once and came away with not only a bit of accent but a lot of particular tempo and pausing in my speech. Mannerisms, I guess. If I read a book where I know that the characters are Irish and the dialog is written with a lot of deliberate "voice" then I might actually pick it up in my mental narration.

And when I was about 12 or so, and was in a school with a strong presence of black students who spoke in their own dialect, and I listened to a lot of music that was very popular at the time by black artists, sure...I imitated it. What one hears gets into one's head and comes out of one's mouth. Especially, I think, with young people.

Which as a survival mechanism for a young human being, a member of one of the most social species on the planet, only makes total sense. If a young human in certain points of history or culture is adopted into a new group, it behooves them to try and fit in and not be rejected, and speaking as the group speaks is a part of that.

It is only as we get older, in America, and we start to think about all of the historical-to-present issues of race here, then we begin to need to incorporate more nuanced thoughts, in how we feel about something like this.

I had a close friend in high school who was a black girl from Haiti and she was incredibly intelligent and spoke meticulous English with a trace of an accent. Her grades and extracurricular accomplishments were INTENSELY impressive. Other black students in that school, many of whom were from lower income families, were brutal to her, often attacking her for "acting white." Perhaps even more than they did the occasional white student who mimicked their dialect and mannerisms.

It isn't for me to tell anybody how to act. But I felt...I don't know. Disappointed, I guess? That she faced social hardship for being who she was in any kind of a way. Well, she would laugh it off and say that since those girls straightened their hair and she did not, they should look in the mirror and think about who is "acting white."

I have no judgment on the subject of the OP. I think that people should hopefully find social groups where they feel respected and where they experience kindness. Regardless of their appearance, wherever and however they find it. And I believe that it's only natural then, for them to adopt any forms of speech common to the group. I do not hear this kind of dialect and make assumptions about the speaker's intelligence or behavior. I try to assume the best about other people unless and until they show me otherwise, regardless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2022, 02:07 PM

1,655 posts, read 777,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
You seem to keep trying to control and guide a forum conversation by veiled insults. Trying to tell people what they can say and what they can do in a forum is like herding kittens. You can't be surprised when someone calls you out for moving the goal posts. You can't be surprised when someone is going to call you out on your arrogance.
I personally don’t see how discussing spoken language leading to discussing the written form is arrogance or insulting. I’m simply discussing what comes to my mind in a discussion I started and want to contribute to — there’s no need for reprimanding.

Old 08-24-2022, 02:08 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,760,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
Please don’t make another discussion about me personally. Take what I say at face value or don’t, but please don’t continually derail threads based on personal grievances. I personally don’t think grudges against anonymous forum posters are healthy mentally.
No one knows you here. They only know what you post and how it reflects your credibility. If a poster makes a statement that is demonstrably false or goes against their previous assertions of fact, people take note and that poster can expect to be challenged. << You are here.

Old 08-24-2022, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
No one knows you here. They only know what you post and how it reflects your credibility. If a poster makes a statement that is demonstrably false or goes against their previous assertions of fact, people take note and that poster can expect to be challenged. << You are here.
You have said your peace about ME. I believe any other posts about me that don’t pertain to the thread topic should be considered trolling at this point.

Old 08-24-2022, 02:18 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,760,090 times
Quote:
Since we see so much communication in written form now, I see a ton of people that will also spell their words how they might speak them.
So, where are you seeing this? I would like to check it out. Is there something you can link to?

Old 08-24-2022, 02:20 PM

5,668 posts, read 3,176,878 times
Quote:
Can you give examples of words you speak that are drastically different than how you learned to spell them? Since we see so much communication in written form now, I see a ton of people that will also spell their words how they might speak them. Sometimes it can be hard to understand. But cognitively it’s interesting if they actually know the correct spelling (like if it was asked on a test) yet choose to use some other form…like what’s causing their brain to do that.
I'll give examples from my experience/usage

I spell 'til' instead of spelling out 'until'. I spell 'y'all' instead of spelling 'you all'. It's how my brain works, and even though I know the correct spelling and phrasing of the words I mentioned, what I spell is what I speak. I say 'warsh' instead of 'wash', although I still spell the word 'wash'.

Old 08-24-2022, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
So, where are you seeing this?
Twitter quotes, Facebook posts, text messages, various online forums, communications I stumble upon through Google searches. Enough to where it’s not uncommon to see.

Old 08-24-2022, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I personally don’t see how discussing spoken language leading to discussing the written form is arrogance or insulting. I’m simply discussing what comes to my mind in a discussion I started and want to contribute to — there’s no need for reprimanding.
When you are trying to defend your "right" to move goal posts, that's reprimanding US. You thinking you can just hush us is arrogance on your part.

You thought you could avoid the word 'racist' but still speak in a prejudicial manner just by telling us to not call it that, even though many of us saw it in your discussion. You actually got pretty far with it...but eventually someone decided to call it what they saw.

Old 08-24-2022, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
When you are trying to defend your "right" to move goal posts, that's reprimanding US. You thinking you can just hush us is arrogance on your part.

You thought you could avoid the word 'racist' but still speak in a prejudicial manner just by telling us to not call it that, even though many of us saw it in your discussion. You actually got pretty far with it...but eventually someone decided to call it what they saw.
Defending my right to bring up spelling in a topic about communicating in certain way that I started is reprimanding?

What did I say specifically that you define as racist? At this point I feel you are simply trying to manipulate the discussion into having the thread closed via pointless bickering.

Old 08-24-2022, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Defending my right to bring up spelling in a topic about communicating in certain way that I started is reprimanding?

What did I say specifically that you define as racist? At this point I feel you are simply trying to manipulate the discussion into having the thread closed via pointless bickering.
Interesting that you see it that way. You want to say what you want to say, but want the rest of us to stop saying what we think.

It's a 2 way street brother.

I'm curious...did you look at any of the video I posted? It was very informative in explaining how various accents and dialects came about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology