Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2022, 09:44 AM

10,392 posts, read 6,968,210 times

Advertisements

I have yet to meet anyone that is "happier" because they have resources. Sure, they may have more "options" but, are they happier?

I just wish I had 2 nickels to rub together...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2022, 09:48 AM

23,176 posts, read 12,294,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Define money.............to some people $50,000 would be all the money in the world! To others 50 million.
Good point. I think the expression generally applies to the low end, to people without sufficient money to make ends meet comfortable. I certainly wouldn't expect a person with $5 million to be happier if they suddenly had $10 million. They already have "money".

Old 12-10-2022, 10:03 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,414,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I've been to Russia. I don't know if that's considered a true third-world country, but people there are much poorer than in the U.S. Kids there appreciate the simple things in life and aren't a bunch of spoiled brats.
Russia is not a third World country.

Third World Countries have high poverty rates, economic instability and lack basic human necessities like access to water, shelter or food for its citizens.

Old 12-10-2022, 10:05 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,414,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
For every one of them are dozens who are just fine. And you wouldn't ever know about the mental health struggles and addictions of most of your neighbors, friends, and perhaps even relatives because it isn't plastered all over the internet.

Old 12-10-2022, 11:29 AM

9,518 posts, read 5,315,901 times
Doesn't buy happiness but it sure buys a lot of other stuff!!!

Old 12-10-2022, 11:30 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,145,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
I have yet to meet anyone that is "happier" because they have resources. Sure, they may have more "options" but, are they happier?

I just wish I had 2 nickels to rub together...
This is more of an anecdote, but if you don't know what you want from life, no amount of money will help.

I have a friend who chronically discusses suicide, but all bark, no bite. Well, no attempts at least.

The guy has as a easy job, probably Top 2% easy of all existing six figure paying jobs in this country.

So that hasn't helped him.

On the other side of the coin, there's literally people who live to amass money for no other reason than to amass money and perceived security.

For instance, think about people who brag about how much they saved on a car.

Think about people who brag about how much they save on their cell phone bill.

It can be a game...

Old 12-10-2022, 11:43 AM

7,048 posts, read 4,937,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Russia is not a third World country.

Third World Countries have high poverty rates, economic instability and lack basic human necessities like access to water, shelter or food for its citizens.
Well, I guess that fits the US.

Old 12-10-2022, 01:00 PM

8,776 posts, read 3,942,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffinpuncher View Post
Over the years I’ve had the opportunity to move up the income brackets, and yes it does make me happy. However my family and health make me far far more contented.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffinpuncher View Post
Does money “buy” happiness?
From my perspective, it’s absurd to (even) consider/suggest money can buy a psychological mindset or awareness. That said, while it can’t ‘make’ anyone happy (only you can do that), it certainly can buy a cushy/enjoyable lifestyle which can increase or enhance one’s happiness.

Old 12-10-2022, 01:41 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,452,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I've been to Russia.. I don't know if that's considered a true third-world country, but people there are much poorer than in the U.S. Kids there appreciate the simple things in life and aren't a bunch of spoiled brats.
2nd world...there are poor kids here who are happy too - so not sure your premise holds. Maaaaayyybe if you say more kids are happy and fewer kids are spoiled. But are the rich kids there less spoiled than here? No.

Old 12-10-2022, 03:24 PM

2,244 posts, read 2,418,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
2nd world...there are poor kids here who are happy too - so not sure your premise holds. Maaaaayyybe if you say more kids are happy and fewer kids are spoiled. But are the rich kids there less spoiled than here? No.
There are certainly fewer rich kids there than there are here. There's still so much income disparity there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology