Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2022, 05:10 PM

1,443 posts, read 740,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Money gives you a lot more options than being broke.

It's the Lust for money that creates the problem plus being given money and not working for what you have.
I disagree, some of the happiest people I've met were born into money, some of the most miserable people I've met have a ton of money but the job that gives them such a salary is a near constant high stress grind that keeps that money coming in. but only 2 weeks YEAR TO ACTUALLY ENJOY THAT MONEY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2022, 07:49 PM

27,694 posts, read 28,815,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileSauceCritic View Post
I disagree, some of the happiest people I've met were born into money, some of the most miserable people I've met have a ton of money but the job that gives them such a salary is a near constant high stress grind that keeps that money coming in. but only 2 weeks YEAR TO ACTUALLY ENJOY THAT MONEY.
Most people who try to make a lot of money crash and burn from the stress. If it were that easy, then everybody would be doing it.

There is a reason they say get rich or die trying.

Old 12-10-2022, 10:37 PM

603 posts, read 331,409 times
The amount used to be 70k for basic needs and a bit over for security. Not sure what it is now. Depends where you live. Basically a middle class existence. I think more money if it translates to less time for self and family just to have more things, is not leading to more fulfillment. The simplest lifestyles can lead to more contentment. Happiness is elusive, can change by circumstances. One has to have good health first, then good connections to others as baselines. Then there is creativity, sense of higher purpose, spirituality, community,
etc.
On one’s deathbed, are you going to think about your daughter not getting lavish sweet 16 party, horse riding lessons, didn't go to private school? The latter I can see some value in but not if it’s not a truly superior education and just breeds elitism vs a bad public school but not if one works several jobs or a job you hate to get it and don't see kids enough to instill values. On one’s deathbed you might not regret visiting more countries, or you might regret it. It depends on what is meaningful to you. Some regret not having time to pursue a different path they meant to try but they got caught up in a lifestyle that may not be that worthwhile to them but signals success in their circles. And that means a lot to some people, fitting in with their circle. They might not regret it or they might. I cannot relate to it, seems stifling but to each their own their definition of contentment.

Last edited by Ghobi; 12-10-2022 at 10:53 PM..

Old 12-10-2022, 10:39 PM

8,776 posts, read 3,942,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileSauceCritic View Post
I disagree, some of the happiest people I've met were born into money, some of the most miserable people I've met have a ton of money but the job that gives them such a salary is a near constant high stress grind that keeps that money coming in.
The obvious point being, any life must have (a perceived) meaning of sorts in order to be happy; for most, that involves relationships i.e. a significant other, friends, family, community and so on. As such, a career one enjoys/finds challenging may provide additional (personal) meaning - even if it would be considered ‘stressful’ to you. In other words, it’s all relative to a person’s perception; if they think of themselves as being stuck in (or stressed by) a job (or a relationship, for that matter), they aren’t going to be happy (regardless of money).

The logical question, then: Why do the high-earning folks you know (who suffer from ‘constant high stress’ and have ‘a ton of money’) feel stuck in their jobs and/or don’t do anything about it? At the very least, they should consider ways in which their stress can be reduced and/or learn how to cope more effectively.

Old 12-11-2022, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
The logical question, then: Why do the high-earning folks you know (who suffer from ‘constant high stress’ and have ‘a ton of money’) feel stuck in their jobs and/or don’t do anything about it?
Most likely, it’s because they need to make that amount of money to maintain the lifestyle they want or do even better.

Seldom do people want to lower their standard of living.

Old 12-11-2022, 12:44 PM

10,382 posts, read 8,625,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Most people who try to make a lot of money crash and burn from the stress. If it were that easy, then everybody would be doing it.

There is a reason they say get rich or die trying.
Everyone has a different level of what they consider stress. A lot of lazy or fearful people would think that it is too hard.
Please provide a link to the study where the fact that most people crash and burn while trying to get rich is cited.
Or is this just a judgemental opinion you have.

Old 12-11-2022, 12:47 PM

7,170 posts, read 4,883,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
It buys peace of mind, good healthcare, and choices . So yes those things make me happy.
Yes. I was thinking to post pretty much the same thing. Mostly Peace of Mind.

Old 12-11-2022, 01:47 PM

8,776 posts, read 3,942,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Most likely, it’s because they need to make that amount of money to maintain the lifestyle they want or do even better.

Seldom do people want to lower their standard of living.
Yeah. My point being, if Chilesaucecritic’s high-earning friends with ‘tons of money’ aren’t happy, per his/her posts, they need to do something relative to their own happiness. Money doesn’t buy happiness; but it can buy opportunity/security (provided they are able to manage it).

Then again, you’re right; money doesn’t buy common sense, either. :-)

Old 12-11-2022, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Everyone has a different level of what they consider stress. A lot of lazy or fearful people would think that it is too hard.
Please provide a link to the study where the fact that most people crash and burn while trying to get rich is cited.
Or is this just a judgemental opinion you have.
Nearly everybody would like to be rich if they could. It is a universal human aspiration. The fact that most of us fail at it is proof that it’s not as easy as it looks.

Most people cannot fathom working 16 hours a day for years on end. It is probably not in their DNA. They will make excuses and give up. There is tremendous competition and sacrifice involved in getting there, no matter which path is taken.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 12-11-2022 at 04:16 PM..

Old 12-11-2022, 09:22 PM

10,222 posts, read 7,627,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
From my perspective, it’s absurd to (even) consider/suggest money can buy a psychological mindset or awareness. That said, while it can’t ‘make’ anyone happy (only you can do that), it certainly can buy a cushy/enjoyable lifestyle which can increase or enhance one’s happiness.
Having money can, from my perspective, make a person happy. It is almost impossible to be happy when one's basic needs aren't, and can't be, met. Like good healthcare, the ability to buy healthy food, a decent home to live in, utilities, transportation of some sort to work, etc. The stress and anxiety of not having any of that would be daily. If we could wave a magic wand and take all those concerns from someone, that person would become happy, IMO (to the extent that person is ever happy - there are different degrees of happiness, depending on the person's basic nature)

But as several posters, incl. myself, have said: there's a point at which having more money doesn't make a person happier. Being able to buy one more castle or one more vintage antique is very different from being able to buy a much needed meal or paying the coinsurance for cancer treatments in a hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology