Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2022, 06:13 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
From watching various documentaries, I've also noticed that kids in third-world countries seem generally happier ...
Have you been to a Third World? I have. There is a lot of begging. They lack hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2022, 06:15 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I think you're confusing comfort with happiness.
Being comfortable makes one happy.

Old 12-09-2022, 07:21 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,903,282 times
Money might not buy happiness but having no money certainly buys misery.

Old 12-09-2022, 07:25 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,073,200 times
Money does not necessarily buy happen it’s but constant lack of money most definitely “buys” sadness.

Edit: didn’t look at the entire post, looks like someone posted the same comment 4 minutes ago.

Old 12-09-2022, 07:38 AM

7,103 posts, read 4,531,425 times
The poverty I saw in the Caribbean was heartbreaking. You need enough money to meet your needs and a little extra. One study said people were happier at an income level of 75k/year and additional money didn’t make them happier. However, I can’t remember if they took into consideration the COL because that can make a huge difference.

Ideally kids should have a range of experiences so they can see that free activities can be just as fun as paid ones and sometimes more so. People that give their kids everything do them a disservice. My best memories with my grandparents didn’t involve the times that they spent money on me. It’s all the times we played games, cards, talked and walked in nature. It’s the same for my kids.

As a kid the best memories with my dad were the fun I had going on errands with him and all the long walks in the fields so our beagles could run. We had the best in-depth talks and I was so close to him because of the time we spent together.

Old 12-09-2022, 08:11 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
The point is that the people who have much more are just as miserable as those who are in relative poverty because of their expectations.

Like those whining about not having a million dollars saved up for retirement by age 40 are just as unhappy as people who live with very little. If they have 500K, they could retire to that 3rd world country right now, yet all they think is doom and despair.

The owners of my company are all just about 60 years old, and they work us like dogs. I mean most of their kids are already through college. But ... it's never enough...

Also, if you're not making any money, you're also not working and you're not flogging people in a corporate office setting. So ... there's that.

I mean, sure people from poor countries dream of living in the states and working a corporate job, but ... they don't know what the reality is.

Last edited by jobaba; 12-09-2022 at 08:42 AM..

Old 12-09-2022, 08:45 AM

70 posts, read 52,166 times
Money "buys" stability, feeling safe. Anyone who had to worry if they'll be able to pay the bills at the end of a month knows that this feeling is priceless. Now, happiness is much more than that, I agree, but it's difficult to be happy if your children are hungry. So it depends if we're talking about extremes or average examples, I would say.

Old 12-09-2022, 09:04 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beariswear View Post
Money "buys" stability, feeling safe. Anyone who had to worry if they'll be able to pay the bills at the end of a month knows that this feeling is priceless. Now, happiness is much more than that, I agree, but it's difficult to be happy if your children are hungry. So it depends if we're talking about extremes or average examples, I would say.
I don't know, I was a lot happier when I couldn't pay off my credit card balance in full and I really had to check my bank account to make sure I had enough money to take a trip.

Granted I was younger, and I had safety nets...

Old 12-09-2022, 09:14 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
To get a little more philosophical here... I used to spend considerable time pondering the nature of money. Tokenized exchange, how it is a reflection of the nature of the human animal to be highly social, intelligent and to specialize. We figured out a very long time ago, that if we need houses built, chickens tended to, clothing and tools crafted, and a herd of sheep or goats looked after...it was gonna work a lot better if we had one person do each of those things, rather than every member of the group trying to do all of the things one after another in each of their days. And having one guy who tended the goats, and another who built the houses, meant that one of them might get really good at one job or another. Then they could all trade the product of their work. But then, we are not little villages anymore, we're massive societies and we have all of this tech and many more things to exchange, to buy and sell...we could never do any of this with a simple barter system.

I thought and I thought, about all of these things.

And then one day when some of my thoughts were coming out of my mouth in the airspace I shared with my long-suffering husband, he stopped me and he said, "I have a question for you. Where does money come from?" I began to launch another spiel of theory when he stopped me once more and said, "No. It's simple. Money comes from other people."

Husband is a very wise man, and he's got a way of taking ideas that I make really complicated and rendering them nice and simple. I love that about him!

So what does that say about money and security and happiness? One might say that it is human nature to be social and cooperative, to specialize and to thrive through using the abilities of the many to benefit all. That we really don't do well as isolated individuals in little bubbles trying to meet all of our own needs by ourselves. Money just represents one's success in persuading other people of the value of something that you are, or you've done, or whatever. Money comes from other people. Do well with other people, and you do well with money.

This also means that other people may have the power to withhold your prosperity and security. And it's not always fair, people can be tricked, scammed.

Old 12-09-2022, 11:19 AM

2,234 posts, read 2,404,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Have you been to a Third World? I have. There is a lot of begging. They lack hope.
No, and I'm sure it's pretty bad.. but it just seems like the kids there at least appreciate the simple things and don't have as much societal pressure to deal with..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology