Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2011, 07:25 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
BH, he comes out where I do, in front of the beach complex. He lives about 3 miles from my place. You boys have fun! Send me some phone pics of fish, and I'll send some of the scantily clad ladies in Key West! My wife is great at pointing them out!

For some reason, I thought he was way east up the Peace River somewhere near the Navigator. I know where he lives now.

That's what I like about you HH, . . . your always looking out for your buds!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
Sorry I meant I'd be down mon-fri but leaving the sat of the fishing tourney (otherwise I'd be in).

I've been fishing up lake winnipesaukee and Squam lake all summer and caught some good bass.

but when it comes to a tourney my money is always on my son.

Whoa! He should hook up a tow rope and an inner tube to that big hoss!

Old 10-13-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyflyfsh View Post
Greetings fishing peeps....Just a heads up...I was out with my friend who is a captain/guide out of Charlotte harbor yesterday and it would appear we have a red tide locally in this area, out to Cayo Costa Flats and in front and back...dead fish all over the place and some rather big ones. Lots and lots of dead grouper, some mackerel, grunts, all deep water fish floating on the surface and that smell associated with red tide was present as well as the odd hue in the water. We went straight out into the Gulf from the launch and where there had been false albacore and tons of bait and birds just the day before, the water looked like the dead sea. No bait, no birds and lots and lots of dead fish.

Just a heads up before you go out. You can check the status of the red tide here: Red Tide Current Status

They will update that info again on Friday when they take new samples.

Sorry for the bad news but you all need to be aware of this.

I read that, and saw it on the news. Thanks for posting that reminder though!!

I am going out this weekend, and I think we are going to stay inside up the bay and fish for trout.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:28 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,026,543 times
Dead fish all over Boca Grande today. Nothing live seen swimming, the red tide is here. I expect to see some floaters in the Harbor tomorrow.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:01 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,884 times
I taking Big House out on my boat today. We plan on fishing in-shore in the southern half of the Harbor. We'll let you know this evening how it went.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:20 AM

463 posts, read 866,857 times
Went out yesterday and did Ok. Fished just north of the pirate harbor channel. Drifted the flats throwing shrimp and cut up lady fishin to the pot holes. Caught a few reds just under the legal size and some very nice trout. the further north we got we got in to the cats.Tried some deeper water off cape haze and nothing was biting.The red tied is around Cay Acosta and pine island. It has been a while since I was out in the sun got fried.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:41 PM

Big House and I fished near Alligator Creek and the Matlacha channel in the morning, then Bull Bay and Pirate Harbor in the afternoon. Yeah, he kicked my butt out there. We both caught too many catfish, some lady fish, BH landed a 25" Cobia, more bonnethead sharks than we could count, a few mangrove snappers and a few skates. All were released alive, except the lady fish, which were released in chunks. No reds, no trout, no snook. Best of all, no signs of Red Tide in our locations.

Good time for us out there, although the winds beat the heck out of us in open water.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:37 AM

For a link to my latest blog chapter, about our fishing trip and problems I'm having with the boat, click here:
Messing About in South Florida

Old 10-16-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
Big House and I fished near Alligator Creek and the Matlacha channel in the morning, then Bull Bay and Pirate Harbor in the afternoon. Yeah, he kicked my butt out there. We both caught too many catfish, some lady fish, BH landed a 25" Cobia, more bonnethead sharks than we could count, a few mangrove snappers and a few skates. All were released alive, except the lady fish, which were released in chunks. No reds, no trout, no snook. Best of all, no signs of Red Tide in our locations.

Good time for us out there, although the winds beat the heck out of us in open water.

Yep, went out with Captain Messing, and had a great day, although the wind could have helped out a bit, and we did get a tad wet now and then. What a great host, and fun guy to fish with!!

I am really looking forward to our first annual fishing tournment that is coming up! I wonder if any beer sponsors are interesting in getting on board! I think it would make a great fishing show! In the next week or so, Captain Messing and I have to agree on the method for judging - I'm sure everyone will be successful, and since everyone wins - there will be a glorious celebration afterward!

Old 10-16-2011, 03:32 PM

3,179 posts, read 6,002,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
For some reason, I thought he was way east up the Peace River somewhere near the Navigator. I know where he lives now.

That's what I like about you HH, . . . your always looking out for your buds!
Sorry for not sending any pics from Key West. Due to NON-STOP rain, there wasn't much to look at. We actually took the ferry back a day early instead of wasting more money. I think we had 20 minutes of dry weather the 2 days we were there. Oh well I guess, try again another time. That ferry ride back in 8ft seas was a riot (unless you're one of the 100+ people getting sick!) Another Miller Lt for me please!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte