Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 07:38 AM

378 posts, read 629,673 times

Advertisements

I have noticed that there has been quite a large number of lots sold in the last six months in my area, about 35 by my count. It is a largely unpopulated area near the Little Mayakka, very close in NP shopping.
I haven't seen this much activity since I began monitoring in 2008.
Wondering if anyone else has seen an uptick in lot sales. With far fewer houses for sale I also wonder if people are beginning to think of building new or perhaps they are just taking advantage of truly low prices on land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 08:29 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,553,563 times
I have had many requests about lot information lately in the area. Most of them are looking to buy as an investment for future building, not to build right now.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:47 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,375,292 times
I have a nice lot in Port Charlotte for sale if anyone is interested. Just thought I'd throw that out there.........

Old 03-04-2012, 09:01 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,779,323 times
I think most of it is from the America's Auction Network I wrote about a few weeks back. They are auctioning lots/homes throughout SWFL 4 nights a week online and on TV. Land locked quarter acre lots go for 3-5k, canal lots 3-4 times that depending on location.

I agree with TamRE; not much building likely to go on.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:02 AM

I did think that might be the case, Tam. The lots are so cheap it is hard to pass up a deal. We are trying to buy the lots around our house to ensure privacy for the future. Have been successful in one purchase so far and am looking at another next door.
Good luck with the sale in PC, NP home. It is a good time to sell I would think.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:10 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,375,292 times
Thanks, I have the lot listed with a great realtor so know if anyone is interested she'll show it to them. It is a lot and a half and has city water and across from a park so hoping at some point someone shows some interest.

We too would like to buy at least one of the empty lots surrounding our home to insure our future privacy. Buying them all would be nice but don't think that will happen.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:32 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,005,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsky View Post
It is a good time to sell I would think.
It's actually a HORRIBLE time to sell right now. Shouldn't sell low unless you absolutely have to. We have a waterfront lot that we will eventually sell, but it's not even worth puting on the market until it rebounds (maybe 2-4 years, or more perhaps)

Old 03-04-2012, 01:27 PM

Buying the surrounding lots has been a struggle. Only one of them is on the market so we have had to approach the other owners. Keep telling myself it is worth all the effort but it has dragged on.
You are probably right about the timing, HH. I was actually only thinking of people who have owned lots a long time and didn't pay an arm and a leg for them. The one lot near us that is listed was purchased for a lot of money but the owners are selling at 1/10th of what they paid. Not sure why they would want to take such a loss, but there it is.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:45 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,779,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsky View Post
Not sure why they would want to take such a loss, but there it is.
They can write off the loss on their taxes, although it will take several years to get the full amount. I think a capitol loss is only written off at $3k a year max but you can continue to take that 3k year after year after year until it's all accounted for. I did that with my stock market losses. So these sellers can get out of paying continuing property taxes and take the write off. Not so bad if your life doesn't depend on the lost investment.

Besides...do it now, before they change the tax code and take away that deduction too.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:18 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,890,349 times
FWIW, the lot we now own was sold for over $250,000. the last time it changed hands, in 2008 or 2006, I can't remember which. It's a simple canal lot in PC, so look at the prices now and imagine what a loss that company took.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte