Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 07:54 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,248 times

Advertisements

Start with My Florida Home MLS Listings ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 06:22 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohsmommi View Post
Is all of PC bad? We were looking at the Lakes of Tuscana apartments on Madaca Lane to rent while we are deciding where to build. Is this a bad area?
The quotes in the post above your question could not be more exaggerated. Certainly, everyone has their own opinion but I was compelled to respond and tell you to not take those words literally. Come and see homes, neighborhoods and areas with your own eyes. Your idea to rent first is a good one and Lakes of Tuscana is a good, safe choice.

I'm a retired cop, working my second career while living and loving Port Charlotte. There is NOT a lot of crime in PC, or Charlotte County as a whole. Is PG nicer, overall? Yes, it is. Was it worth the extra $50k for the same features, age, Gulf access and sq footage? When I bought in 2008 my answer was no. We bought in the Murdock area ($199k) south of the PC high schools and east of Collingswood. This past year we had the option to sell and move to PGI. We wanted a pool and pocket sliding glass doors with impact glass opening to the pool area, on the water of course. What I wanted now was going for $450k in PGI. We decided to stay and invested $55k to make this the house we wanted. No regrets here.

The area behind Winn Dixie, known as the New York area of PC, is one of the oldest, poorest and more run down areas in town. There's no Gulf access homes and no one I've ever met looks to retire there to spend their golden years in paradise. Are there whack jobs shopping there? Sure, just like in any small town in America. But my wife worked at that store for a couple of years and never feared for her safety in the parking lot alone.

We found our retirement home in Port Charlotte. You may or may not like it but I felt you deserved a different opinion that the one you quoted in your question.

Here's an example of a nice home that just got listed on my street. Search for 2407 Bendway Drive.

Good luck and happy retirement!

Old 11-25-2014, 07:48 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohsmommi View Post
Is all of PC bad? We were looking at the Lakes of Tuscana apartments on Madaca Lane to rent while we are deciding where to build. Is this a bad area?
If you're looking into Lakes of Tuscana then you should contact, Gemini435. She and her husband moved there with the same idea-Rent at The Lakes and look for a home to buy. I think she's been there about a month now. They're super nice people and I'm sure she'd give you the straight scoop.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:56 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack25 View Post
We currently live in NSB on the east coast. We would like to move to P G. Our budget is is 275k. Fishing is paramount for me. Any suggestions on where we should start our search?
PGI has some homes with harbor and then gulf access, and has some great fishing. It is widely recognized as a boaters paradise. You should check out the sticky thread above.

If you are coming from the East Coast, there are some differences, the water on the SWFL side is not as deep just off shore as it is on the East Coast. So, it depends on what you like to fish for.. I'll DM ya.

Welcome to the board.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:26 PM

63 posts, read 100,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
The quotes in the post above your question could not be more exaggerated. Certainly, everyone has their own opinion but I was compelled to respond and tell you to not take those words literally. Come and see homes, neighborhoods and areas with your own eyes. Your idea to rent first is a good one and Lakes of Tuscana is a good, safe choice.

I'm a retired cop, working my second career while living and loving Port Charlotte. There is NOT a lot of crime in PC, or Charlotte County as a whole. Is PG nicer, overall? Yes, it is. Was it worth the extra $50k for the same features, age, Gulf access and sq footage? When I bought in 2008 my answer was no. We bought in the Murdock area ($199k) south of the PC high schools and east of Collingswood. This past year we had the option to sell and move to PGI. We wanted a pool and pocket sliding glass doors with impact glass opening to the pool area, on the water of course. What I wanted now was going for $450k in PGI. We decided to stay and invested $55k to make this the house we wanted. No regrets here.

The area behind Winn Dixie, known as the New York area of PC, is one of the oldest, poorest and more run down areas in town. There's no Gulf access homes and no one I've ever met looks to retire there to spend their golden years in paradise. Are there whack jobs shopping there? Sure, just like in any small town in America. But my wife worked at that store for a couple of years and never feared for her safety in the parking lot alone.

We found our retirement home in Port Charlotte. You may or may not like it but I felt you deserved a different opinion that the one you quoted in your question.

Here's an example of a nice home that just got listed on my street. Search for 2407 Bendway Drive.

This is exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you!

Old 11-28-2014, 01:11 PM

21 posts, read 25,957 times
Default Looking ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohsmommi

Hello all....wife and I just looked at the beautiful home you mentioned on Bendway Drive...we are currently up north but looking to spend our fast approaching retirement years in the Port Charlotte area. Just an Fyi...that home sold in 2 days...we missed out while we were thinking about making an offer.

The housing market has really heated up over the past few months...we are still looking for our dream home and plan on visiting again next weekend from NY to look at more homes. We also want a canal home with impact sliders that fully open. PGI seems too expensive for us at this point....are there any canals we should avoid? Worried about shallow water in canals at low tide...currently have a 21 foot bowrider...so i just want to be able to use the boat at my leisure...

Any thoughts or advise would be very appreciated! Thanks to all and Happy Thanksgiving

Old 11-28-2014, 01:45 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,150,786 times
The housing market has indeed heated up dramatically.

the sliders I think you mean are the zero corner ones Mod edit and they are without doubt the No 1 hit item with the home.

Mod eidt

Last edited by The Villages Guy; 11-30-2014 at 05:58 AM.. Reason: No RE advertising allowed, per T.O.S.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:19 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,248 times
21' bow rider will get anywhere you want in the canals. Though you didnt say, is it inboard /outboard or an Outboard.. At worst there may be times when your lift wont get low enough because of, winter low tide levels, so you just have to plan ahead sometimes.. 6 of this half a dozen of that. The Markets heating up haahaha Oh Yea.. But thats why you are moving your market has heated up as well. That said what I bought 2 years ago for just under 200K has gained anywhere 10 to 20% IF you can find one... Hummmm IMHO if it sold in 3 days thats NOT A GOOD SIGN.. either they marketed it too low or worse we are heading into another bubble.

Old 11-28-2014, 04:49 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
We bought last February, can't touch what we bought for the price now. Just the nature of the market coupled with a decline of foreclosures. Now, historically, the market will be up during the winter, experience a seasonal slowdown in April, as the snowbirds go back north. But it may not happen this year as the winter appears to be duplicating what happened last year.

Old 11-28-2014, 05:09 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,150,786 times
well we just sold our spec home within 5 days of completion...yes we slightly underpriced but I'm not greedy, we will make a good return, but also we over spec'ed it to bring in clients who want houses built...........and its proving very successful. we already have 5 orders . the best deal is when both parties are happy with the price and that's always a good thing to base a deal on.

I think Restrain is pretty on the money that things wont slow down.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte