Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 07:47 AM

463 posts, read 867,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
How do you all think a new independent BBQ joint would do here? The only one now is the chain, Sonnys, and I'm no big fan of their fare. My bro in law is a master griller/smoker of ribs, brisket and chicken. If I find myself out of work soon...and I might....maybe thinking of partnering with him on his dream to move from Texas to FL and open a place. He's been selling his stuff successfully at work at his aerospace place in Dallas for years. He takes lunch orders, cooks all weekend, packages it up and brings it into work for lots of co-workers.

It would be a dice roll for both of us but it could also be a good thing. Thoughts?

I have watched alot of people spend thier life's savings on a restaurant just to lose every penny.I have owned and operated them since 1988 and it is a tough life. I am 53 and still doing 65 hour weeks. And I moved here to slow down, I used to run seven full service restaurants in a four state region of the midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 09:40 AM

2,837 posts, read 2,696,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNE17 View Post
That's our go-to. If we're in PG for, say, a week, we're at River City Grille at least 2-3 times!

During middle of summer the waitress told us it's 2-fer's for the locals (need proof of residency). We couldn't get down there this summer to test it, however.

What has happened the last few Summers at the River City Grille is that they put out coupons for buy one get one free dinners. But you don't really need the coupon. You do however have to ask for the special when the waiter arrives. If you do not ask they will charge you regular. I have never been asked to produce proof of residency.

Old 10-26-2014, 01:09 PM

93 posts, read 126,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
You may be thinking of Wally's Southern Style BBQ in PC. Been there a few times and always had a good meal.
YES thats it !!

Old 10-26-2014, 02:52 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,965,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
You may be thinking of Wally's Southern Style BBQ in PC. Been there a few times and always had a good meal.
Sonny's used to be on 41 up around Veteran's. Forgettable chain stuff, no loss. Wally's is BBQ, but far below average (depending on your point of reference).

Old 10-26-2014, 02:57 PM

Sorry, forgot to add "IMHO" - opinions on BBQ can't be tossed around carelessly.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:36 PM

165 posts, read 254,202 times
Just tried Smokin Pit BBQ on Kings Hwy this last Friday. Its in the old Capt and the Cowboy location. Great meats, large portions, smoked very well, not overdone. Chicken was a bit dry however. Great beef ribs. Service was great and fast.
Stopped ever going to Sonnys. The staff there has given up. Id recommend trying it if you can

Old 10-26-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCHI View Post
Just tried Smokin Pit BBQ on Kings Hwy this last Friday. Its in the old Capt and the Cowboy location. Great meats, large portions, smoked very well, not overdone. Chicken was a bit dry however. Great beef ribs. Service was great and fast.
Stopped ever going to Sonnys. The staff there has given up. Id recommend trying it if you can
I'll try Smokin Pit this week.

Do you mean Sonny's here? Where did they move to?

Old 10-27-2014, 09:02 PM

93 posts, read 126,118 times
WOW I find no less than 10 BBQ joints in the general PC PG area Smokin Pit in Port Charlotte (33948) with Reviews & Ratings - YP.com

Old 10-28-2014, 03:05 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,788,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcozad1 View Post
I am 53 and still doing 65 hour weeks. And I moved here to slow
I did the same I though id take more time more off I miss the down town I used to have in the winter. sitting around the shop watching the snow drinking coffee &watching tv

Old 10-28-2014, 03:42 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,632,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
What has happened the last few Summers at the River City Grille is that they put out coupons for buy one get one free dinners. But you don't really need the coupon. You do however have to ask for the special when the waiter arrives. If you do not ask they will charge you regular. I have never been asked to produce proof of residency.
Jacks on Marion has 2 fer Tuesday no coupon needed

Gary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte