Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 07:13 AM

249 posts, read 321,755 times

Advertisements

This has been a problem for many years down here. When we first lived here in the mid 80's we ran into that same problem of no shows. Three decades later it's still happening. I still stand by my words, if a person follows through on their promises they can make a boat load of money down here. Premium business practices will garner premium prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 07:17 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,274,892 times
I remember you talking about that and that was no less than a LACK of Honesty by the customer.. But Maybe you were saved an Ulcer... HOWEVER its still remains ... You did what was right and honest etc etc etc .. That is what's important.. it is THAT Code of Ethics that pays dividends $$ In The End..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
I have to tell you, you are all right...BUT it can work both ways.

A year ago a realtor I know (very nice lady) reached out for some help on a double lot a couple from Texas were considering buying.It has a drainage easement issue, which after a number of calls and meetings with the county, I resolved. However they were still concerned and asked me to check out another lot for them. which I did, sitting there for an hour or so taking pictures at sunset as that was key for them.

a month or so later they visited the area, came and saw my model and thanked me. I told them it was all free all I asked was the chance to bid for their house when they decided to build. the guy shook my hand ,looked me in the eye and promised he would.

last week I got a call from the realtor, they had gone behind her back as well as mine and dealt with another builder direct...............nice huh ? Buyers are liars too................

Old 12-15-2015, 09:20 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,091,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
I remember you talking about that and that was no less than a LACK of Honesty by the customer.. But Maybe you were saved an Ulcer... HOWEVER its still remains ... You did what was right and honest etc etc etc .. That is what's important.. it is THAT Code of Ethics that pays dividends $$ In The End..
Very true. But remember everyone - trust is earned, and not given as a blank check. As a policy, I have always paid promptly and immediately when promised, and when the work is finished. NEVER pay in advance for labor. I will offer to buy materials so that the work can begin, and schedule payments weekly if necessary so they know they are not out of pocket either. Expect until proven otherwise that the people you hire, who have not worked for you many times over a long period of time, to not trust you - they have all (in all likelihood been burned too), but generally want a trusting good working relationship.

I've had contractors and subcontractors (that I worked with for more than 30 years) begin work mobilizing hundreds of thousands of dollars in equipment, materials and labor, on a handshake with me, knowing the contract and paperwork would follow. And, they would put huge manpower recourses to work on my job - because 2 days after I was paid, they were. Ordinarily contractors would hold funds for 30-60-90 days to pay people for their work. My jobs always finished months earlier than much of my competition!

Old 12-15-2015, 10:32 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,226,583 times
Quote:
oh heck yea, welcome to my world !!!

I be I could even name the contractor FLH fan posts about

I don't like to name names but his initials are BJ. Seems fitting because all I got was lip service.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:35 AM

I am on the same page with you.. going both ways as well. SOME ...... people, companies, organizations could trust me to be good for my word and on the other hand I could trust them. But there were others I needed a signature on the dotted line, because I had been told NOT to trust them for more than I WAS WILLING to take out of My Personal Pay-Check . Loyalty works as well .. A company I ran a lot of work for, who had at the time in or around 500 E.E.'s on the payroll World Wide.. still did tiny little jobs for our original client list.. we lost money so I am told, on every job.. but they always supported / used us when the company started around 1900.....and we don't leave loyal customers hanging, just because we became HUGE.. That company since the recession exist in name only .. They just couldn't remain in business with jobs much smaller than 100 Electricians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Very true. But remember everyone - trust is earned, and not given as a blank check. As a policy, I have always paid promptly and immediately when promised, and when the work is finished. NEVER pay in advance for labor. I will offer to buy materials so that the work can begin, and schedule payments weekly if necessary so they know they are not out of pocket either. Expect until proven otherwise that the people you hire, who have not worked for you many times over a long period of time, to not trust you - they have all (in all likelihood been burned too), but generally want a trusting good working relationship.

I've had contractors and subcontractors (that I worked with for more than 30 years) begin work mobilizing hundreds of thousands of dollars in equipment, materials and labor, on a handshake with me, knowing the contract and paperwork would follow. And, they would put huge manpower recourses to work on my job - because 2 days after I was paid, they were. Ordinarily contractors would hold funds for 30-60-90 days to pay people for their work. My jobs always finished months earlier than much of my competition!

Old 12-15-2015, 11:02 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,152,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHfan View Post
I don't like to name names but his initials are BJ. Seems fitting because all I got was lip service.

that's the guy......did the same to me and then 2 years later a cleitn told me the same story so I said 'was his name Bi,, ja,,,,,,

and he was 'wow yea how did you guess...'

Old 12-15-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:

correct , as my old boss said...'the only person I have to answer to is the one I see in the mirror every morning'

he instilled in me to be true to your word even if it costs you money, better to lose that than your reputation

Old 12-15-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
correct , as my old boss said...'the only person I have to answer to is the one I see in the mirror every morning'

he instilled in me to be true to your word even if it costs you money, better to lose that than your reputation
I strongly believe in ... As you bless others , so shall you be blessed..
How's business? I didn't have to ask because I read its good..

Old 12-15-2015, 12:06 PM

773 posts, read 786,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03bluecoupe View Post
I complained to the owner yesterday and was basically told "you're getting a good deal so what are you complaining about", I was livid.
Livid? Glad to see you were able to control yourself. I would have fired the guy on the spot and dealt with the fallout, so long as he wasn't ahead on the payment vs work done schedule.

If you decide to keep him, you may want to turn things around on him when it comes to paying him. If he complains about not getting paid on time, you can say, "Hey, I put you to work! What are you complaining about?"

Old 12-15-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:

I strongly believe in ... As you bless others , so shall you be blessed..
How's business? I didn't have to ask because I read its good..

very good thanks.

we started a new home this week, presold at full asking price.

got the go ahead on a 2600sf 4 bed this week , handshake deal, before client knew final price.
got go ahead yesterday on a 1900 sf 3 bed pool home with an investor on a profit share cost basis
got the go ahead today on a 1800 sf lake home in PG , client couldn't find a builder there so she paid a premium and said do it, again no final price agreed
just finishing the design of a 3300sf custom lakefront home, again all on a handsake

I think my karma and blessings are good right now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte