Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 07:09 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnstrick View Post
I am glad to see everyone is OK and no major problems from Colin. I just hope that everybody takes a lesson from this little storm, It was barely a tropical storm, never came closer than 200 miles, yet there was still a lot of coastal flooding and water damage (at least here in Tampa). Just imagine if A CAT 1 or 2 or god forbid higher, took the same track. I fear that we have become too complaisant about these storms and don't take them seriously enough. We had people out on JET SKIS during the middle of this thing. It was just a baby but the water was still a dangerous place to be. WHAT ARE PEOPLE THINKING??
They're thinking of the thrill of the moment, with some sort of sense of invincibility (is that a word?), I guess. The sad thing is that you see these thrill-seekers out there when any storm is approaching, whether it's a minor tropical storm ( like Colin was), or a major hurricane. This despite repeated warnings from the authorities and the news media to stay away from the beach and water at these times. Of course, some of those warned have challenged the reporters who stand there in harm's way in their rain slickers on those beaches breathlessly and dramatically reporting the terrible conditions for the entertainment of the public. It's true, it's dangerous for all who aspire to challenge Mother Nature like that, regardless of their motives, and IMO no one should be out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 11:26 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,778,590 times
This, today, courtesy of Shea Gibson from WeatherFlow:

"We have another flare up of convection by the Yucatan Peninsula deemed Invest 95L as Easterly trade winds continue to surge fast moving air and moisture into this area. The NOAA NWS National Hurricane Center is giving this a low 10% chance for development next 48hrs and 10% next 5 days. This area is expected to move into the Bay of Campeche, where the environment for development is possible.

Quick Note: Tropical Storm #Danielle just made landfall in Mexico recently off of a 10% initial forecast from the NHC. Next storm name on the list is "Earl"."

Old 07-10-2016, 11:56 AM

FYI if you are looking for a good deal on a Portable generator, our local membership club in Murdock has the Honda Black Max 7000/8850 watt unit I paid a thousand dollars for on a clearance price. Last model left priced at $649. It's in the back of the warehouse, near the water bottles. Hurry!

Old 07-11-2016, 07:20 AM

4,864 posts, read 2,674,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
FYI if you are looking for a good deal on a Portable generator, our local membership club in Murdock has the Honda Black Max 7000/8850 watt unit I paid a thousand dollars for on a clearance price. Last model left priced at $649. It's in the back of the warehouse, near the water bottles. Hurry!

got it!..thanks for tip MA..I've been looking for a generator and you just saved me a few hundred bucks..I really appreciate you for taking the time to post up the info..and we all know that Honda makes some pretty good stuff..now to get the electrician back in here to install a transfer switch..this forum is the best..thanks again MA, and happy fishing..

Old 07-11-2016, 12:27 PM

I'm thrilled one of the CD members got the deal! I recommend you use ONLY Rec 90 non-ethanol fuel in it.
I run a gallon through mine once a year to keep the legs stretched. Let it run clean out of fuel, then store it dry.

Have your transfer switch mounted outside the garage. I had mine in, figuring I could use fans to keep the fumes out of the garage but I was wrong. I used a 4 gas meter to measure carbon monoxide levels in the garage and no matter what method I used to keep the fumes out, they were still present. I will plan on using locks and chains to secure my genset outside if ever deployed, then will run the 30 amp cord into the garage for the transfer switch.

Again, I'm happy for you! Good job recognizing a bargain when you see it.

Old 07-11-2016, 01:30 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,027,614 times
That genny looks like a good deal, but why is it so loud? At 80db it is about 4x louder than the Honda brand with the same exact GX390 engine. The Honda does cost 4x as much, but just wondering where all that noise is coming from. Different muffler? Brushless alternator?

The Honda at 60db, you can have a regular conversation right next to it and barely even hear it 15ft away. Most $300 gennys are in the 75db range, which is very loud in comparison. 80db, for a $1000 (reg price genny with a Honda) seems way too loud. Is that a misprint or is this thing really that loud? MA, 66?

PS, Honda sells a propane conversion for that engine so you can run it off a big propane tank and not worry about having enough fresh gas on hand....also no worries about the carb gumming up while sitting.

Sorry for the hijack.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:06 PM

747 posts, read 1,012,656 times
soooo much easier to store propane than have gas.

that's a smart idea to have the conversion kit available in a pinch.

80db is loud. really loud. my rigid is about that loud, with a subaru engine (gas).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
That genny looks like a good deal, but why is it so loud? At 80db it is about 4x louder than the Honda brand with the same exact GX390 engine. The Honda does cost 4x as much, but just wondering where all that noise is coming from. Different muffler? Brushless alternator?

The Honda at 60db, you can have a regular conversation right next to it and barely even hear it 15ft away. Most $300 gennys are in the 75db range, which is very loud in comparison. 80db, for a $1000 (reg price genny with a Honda) seems way too loud. Is that a misprint or is this thing really that loud? MA, 66?

PS, Honda sells a propane conversion for that engine so you can run it off a big propane tank and not worry about having enough fresh gas on hand....also no worries about the carb gumming up while sitting.

Sorry for the hijack.

Old 07-11-2016, 04:40 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,632,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
MA
What appliances can you run on that and how much fuel does it burn?

Thanks Gary

Old 07-11-2016, 05:09 PM

4,864 posts, read 2,674,972 times
good advice here from all posters..MA, my intent is to have the transfer switch mounted on the outside of the garage..Harbor Rat, propane conversion kit sounds like it might be a good idea..I will look further into that..here's a link from a quick google search about it..

Run Your Gasoline Generator on Propane | Surviving Doomsday

all in all, I look at this as like having an insurance policy..hope to never have to use it, but like the old saying goes, 'better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it'

Old 07-11-2016, 07:33 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,226,583 times
Is a permit required for a transfer switch? Looks like an easy DIY install.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte