Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2018, 09:43 AM

306 posts, read 391,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrrinmass View Post
Hey Sarge thanks for the reply. I see your lot is on a canal. Does it have access out to major waterways. I would assume those lots have higher prices. Are there HOA fees at SGC? How long does the home build process take? Did you have a lot already or did the builder/realtor find you that lot. I have seen a lot of canal front lots on line and most seem to be around 1/4 acre. Is that pretty much standard for the area? Sorry for the million ????? but want to go down kind of prepared with the basics down before visiting next month (May 3-10). When do you take the keys for your new digs? Bet you can't wait. Finally 65 degrees here in Mass. yesterday but freezing rain forecast for tonight and tomorrow. Just about had enough for my lifetime lol. Thanks for your time.
Ask away, not a problem! I wish I knew about this forum before starting this process.

Yes there are HOA fees, but you don't have to join and it's only about $75/year, give or take.

How long does it take, or how long should it take?! Well, 6-9 months is normal I think. We're already at 10 months but, we weren't in a hurry either. Our build is taking longer than it should have honestly.

We didn't have a lot, we went down there with a realtor and looked at a bunch with her and on our own. Ironically, the first of about 16 lots we looked at, was the one we ended up choosing.

Yes, 1/4 acre is typical down there, but you can always buy two! Most people in FL don't spend a lot of time on their lot, it's in the pool, on the boat or at the beach! So, having a smaller lot is typical. I would prefer bigger but, that's more to mow!

Lots on the canal can be bought for about $80k, give or take. Corner lots are more, end of canal are often less.

Yes, you can build a house for $350k all in, but you would have to pick your amenities carefully. Things like granite, tile, appliances, lighting/fans, can all increase your budget, quickly. All depends on your taste and if you want to upgrade now, or later. We chose now. Especially things like tile floors, tough to upgrade that later, IMO.

We go down on the 26th for our walk through inspection, then based on what needs fixing, we'll find out when we can close. I'm hoping, by the 2nd week of May, at the latest! With the crappy weather here in Chicagoland, still snowing, we're soooooo ready to leave!

I dunno if there going to be done by the 26th either, still lots to do....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 09:49 AM

Default Personal pref

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrancour View Post
We picked our lot using various web sites....
1) Zillow to see which lots were for sale.
2) The Charlotte County GIS system (Charlotte County GIS)
for lot information like dimensions, etc.
3) Google Earth for "driving" around

If you want a pool, consider the direction of the lot. We selected one that the back of the house faces southeast so the sun can heat the pool in the morning and day, and the lanai be usable in the evening.

Once you purchase a lot, there are many builders willing to build for you.
Recommend you take a week (or more) and interview.
(MrAndMrsSunshine seem like ethical and quality builders. I signed with another builder before I found this forum )
Good info. here about research, we used google street and satellite views as well. Though not current, it sure is helpful to get a feel for the area.

As for the backyard, it's personal preference IMO. Our backyard faces west which is what we wanted for sunsets over the canal and late afternoon warmth. We have a hurricane/privacy screen we can lower to block the sun coming into our house, if needed.

Old 04-16-2018, 03:06 PM

Default A few more pics

Getting there.

Gutters, fascia, soffits, granite all installed. Plumbing and electric is next.

Still need, pool cage, pool liner, toilets, appliances, lift canopy and a few more things. We're down next Thursday to do an inspect/walk through, I have a feeling it won't be quite done then...
Attached Thumbnails
New home is coming along!-20180416_160028.jpg   New home is coming along!-20180416_160043.jpg   New home is coming along!-20180416_160119.jpg   New home is coming along!-20180416_160207.jpg  

Old 04-17-2018, 12:01 PM

21 posts, read 22,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtRich View Post
Nothing dramatic to post, house is plodding along, which is fine by us, we're in no hurry.

Looks like they're about to put in the stem wall for the pool, drywall is pretty much finished, cabinets should be going in "soon".

Hi

Saw your pool pictures on your thread. I am trying to plan a pool installation and budgeting for a possible new home in SGC. I was wondering what size your pool is. We were just looking at plans online for 25x15x7 (at deep end). And prices seem to be all over the place.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Well, sorta.

I certainly have the list of changer orders and that's about, oh, $20k worth for the house then another $22k for the pool. Much of that $20k is purely self-inflicted: power outlets in all 4 corners of soffett; insulated garage door; upgraded side-mount door openers; electric for future generator etc...

I think the biggest "gotcha" has been in the various allowances, NOT being adequate, for our tastes at least. Could we have stayed in the allowance range? Sure, in most cases. But, you only get one chance to build it the way you want, right?

For instance, $800 for lighting/fans, we were double that.
Granite? My wife always seemed to pick the top tier product, I couldn't care less, they all looked nice to me!

Appliances? Well, there she goes again! ;-)
Of course, I really wanted that inductive cook top too, it's so slick. Then, Bosch this and that and things add up in a jiffy.

So, all in all, I guess we're at about $42k over base, which does include a dock/lift, which is all I really wanted!

I don't feel we've gotten ripped off in any way, but yes there were some surprises not mentioned in the initial build. That, is probably our fault for being build rookies honestly.

Wow. Am I reading this right? You built a pool, dock & lift for $21k? I must be reading something wrong.

Hope you don't mind me asking, but your info is so very helpful. By the pictures, it looks like you have about a 40 x 7 dock. What did you pay for that? And who built it for you?

Old 04-17-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrancour View Post
Sarge.... I with you 100% on this one... Allowances.
Heck, the ceiling fan for the great room was $600. I only have one light left
Lighting... ended up triple the allowance.
Granite... doubled that.
Plumbing... doubled that.
And I don't think I have anything extravagant. Only slightly better than "builder grade".
We tried to stay within allowance; just no way it can be done.
I am also about $20K over budget.

I think it is time for those builders to look at the allowances and figure out what they would put in their house. But that is how they keep the bottom like cost down.

Hi

Hope you don't mind me asking.

We are working on budgeting ... you mentioned you upgraded to better appliances. I was just wondering how far above the allowance you had to go. We are probably like you, we don't need the swedish stuff but we want really nice appliances.

Thanks

Old 04-18-2018, 07:08 AM

82 posts, read 91,015 times
Default Overage on allowances

I would say to estimate 10% to 15% on the "little extras" that are not in the contract price as a contingency fund.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:33 AM

298 posts, read 948,663 times
Sarge, Can you tell us what the cost of the dock and lift were? If you like I can DM you? Was the seawall in place when you bought the lot or did you have to install that as well? I tried to plug an address of an empty lot into the FEMA website to get an idea of flood zones but I did not get smart at all out of the map that they showed me. Guess I am just not up on flood zone issues. It listed the lot at 8ft elevation. What does that tell me? I guess I am just looking to know whether the flood insurance would be $1000/yr or $5,000/yr. lol. I have heard horror stories about the cost of insurance in Florida. Wooohooo 2 more weeks until we venture down. Oh I gotta DM MrandMrsSunshine again to book his time..........

Old 04-18-2018, 09:14 AM

Default Answers to questions.

Hi All,

Happy to help, keep asking questions and I'll do my best. As I wish I had asked before starting!

So, the pool was about $54k total, our allowance was $34k, so we were about $20k over. The pool shape is a cloud, 12'x27' depths 3-6'.

The dock is 7'x30' and the costs/allowances break down like this:
Dock- $7,900
10k Boat Lift - $8,700
Canopy for lift - $3,200

Total for dock/lift: $19,800
The planks are an artificial, plastic-like material, looks like wood, doesn't splinter or rot like wood.
Our seawall was in place, the whole canal has it. I personally didn't want a lot without one.
Flood insurance is about $1k/year with USAA. May shop around for cheaper.

Appliances, we picked nice stuff but not Viking nice, all stainless steel. Samsung Fridge, GE Profile cooktop and double oven. Added a beverage fridge, selected an induction cooktop, things like that.
The appliance allowance is crazy low for us, like $4k, we blew that by $7k and this is just the kitchen, still need washer/dryer.

Did I miss any questions?

Definitely do your research on the pool companies, their prices vary a lot, their reviews do too. In general, Casa, Fulton get good reviews on average. There are others that do too, just drawing a blank on name.

Just found out the pump that goes in the canal to our irrigation system, wasn't included in price! So, here comes another surprise change order/cost.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Hi All,

Happy to help, keep asking questions and I'll do my best. As I wish I had asked before starting!

So, the pool was about $54k total, our allowance was $34k, so we were about $20k over. The pool shape is a cloud, 12'x27' depths 3-6'.

The dock is 7'x30' and the costs/allowances break down like this:
Dock- $7,900
10k Boat Lift - $8,700
Canopy for lift - $3,200

Total for dock/lift: $19,800
The planks are an artificial, plastic-like material, looks like wood, doesn't splinter or rot like wood.
Our seawall was in place, the whole canal has it. I personally didn't want a lot without one.
Flood insurance is about $1k/year with USAA. May shop around for cheaper.

Appliances, we picked nice stuff but not Viking nice, all stainless steel. Samsung Fridge, GE Profile cooktop and double oven. Added a beverage fridge, selected an induction cooktop, things like that.
The appliance allowance is crazy low for us, like $4k, we blew that by $7k and this is just the kitchen, still need washer/dryer.

Did I miss any questions?

Definitely do your research on the pool companies, their prices vary a lot, their reviews do too. In general, Casa, Fulton get good reviews on average. There are others that do too, just drawing a blank on name.

Just found out the pump that goes in the canal to our irrigation system, wasn't included in price! So, here comes another surprise change order/cost.

Thank you sarge. This is all a big help for us.

I assume the pool price included pool, pavers, cage and stem wall? Is that correct?

And did your dock price include bring electric and water to the seawall?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte