Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 09:45 AM

207 posts, read 260,587 times

Advertisements

Not a viewable link without registration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 10:50 AM

16 posts, read 16,742 times
Here's the text for anyone who doesn't have a username and password for the Charlotte Sun (notice no pool during this part of construction):

The view of Sunseeker Resort got a lot clearer Thursday. Allegiant Travel Company submitted plans for three, 90-foot tall buildings perched on a narrow strip of land between U.S. 41 and Charlotte Harbor.

There’s no giant pool in this phase, but a public harborwalk is included.

“It’s gorgeous. It really is,” said Charlotte County Zoning Official Shaun Cullinan, adding that he had not had a chance to review the application yet.

The county has three weeks to review the huge application for 783 hotel rooms, 63,171 square feet of restaurants and bars, a 36,300-square-foot convention center, and 37,744 square feet for retail sales, spas, salons and fitness centers.

During this time, Sunseeker will request construction permits for some 2,000 pilings upon which the buildings and the harborwalk will rest.

Construction should start in March or April, and be complete in 18 to 24 months, said Hilarie Grey, spokesperson for Allegiant Travel Company, which owns Sunseeker.

This application includes engineering plans for storm water management along with sewage and water systems.

The site plan states that the buildings will be 90 feet, which is allowed by the special zoning district created for Charlotte Harbor. They are actually taller than 90 feet, because the first floor starts above open air for parking and for flooding. The resort is located in a high flood zone and buildings cannot sit at ground level.

In this district, the developer can exceed the 35-foot height limitation, if they allow public access to the water front. Sunseeker will build a half-mile harbor walkway, and has granted the public access. Along that waterway will be restaurants, bars and shopping also with public access.

This is phase one of the project and for the small narrow section of the full 22 acres. A large, wider portion to the north will remain undeveloped for the time being. Sunseeker’s first plan was for nine towers with a possibility for more hotel space on a small piece of county-owned land on the other side of U.S. 41. Sunseeker has said it still plans to build the full project.

A giant, 1,000-foot pool presented in the initial plan is not included in this phase.

The full harborwalk is included in this phase. The walkway is designed to connect on both ends with county-owned waterfront walkways. This allows the public to walk for miles along the water starting in Punta Gorda, across the bridge, and along the waterfront in Port Charlotte.

Cullinan said the submitted site plan looks similar to a preliminary site plan submitted months ago for the first phase, which the county approved. The site plan for all nine buildings did not reach the approval phase. The county and Allegiant were still negotiating the legal easement allowing public access to the walkway. That easement is now signed.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:04 PM

24 posts, read 56,659 times
Ha, Probably the first and last phase. With all the great places to vacation in Florida, do they think people are going to want to spend big bucks to stay in a hotel on a brown water river in an area known for senior citizens (of which I am now one).

Old 02-22-2019, 02:07 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyboy09 View Post
With all the great places to vacation in Florida, do they think people are going to want to spend big bucks to stay in a hotel on a brown water river in an area known for senior citizens (of which I am now one).
I think there is a market for such hotel stays because there aren't that many waterfront hotels in SW FL overall. Marketing with palm trees and dolphins and boat rides, fishing trips nearby, plus sunsets on the pier, plus dining, is enough of a draw. It's still warmer than up north in the winter, and it's still water with palm trees. They'll probably have boat trips to the gulf so people can go shelling and swimming and they'll likely be able to take the boat from directly behind the hotel. Convenience.

It's likely that many visitors would be shuttled from the PG airport to the hotel site, courtesy of vacation packages with Allegiant Airlines, owner of the resort too. Visitors wouldn't need to get a rental car or arrange for their own transportation if they take the shuttle. This makes for an easy get-away vacation and saves money on the rental car. Many people would stay in-site and only leave the hotel for excursions offered by Sunseeker.

Old 02-22-2019, 03:10 PM

3,179 posts, read 6,000,719 times
We can't wait to go in the HUGE pool that is supposed to be built (maybe not in phase 1, but hopefully they don't cut that out completely). We love trying new resorts around the state (especially with lazy rivers), but huge pools are great for playing with our 9yr old fish of a kid

Old 02-22-2019, 07:18 PM

5,172 posts, read 4,942,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
We can't wait to go in the HUGE pool that is supposed to be built (maybe not in phase 1, but hopefully they don't cut that out completely). ...
I can see the bets starting now on which pool will be completed first; the Sunseeker pool or the Murdock water park?

Old 02-23-2019, 07:05 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,000,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
I can see the bets starting now on which pool will be completed first; the Sunseeker pool or the Murdock water park?
Both have been in the planning stage for 2yrs... We'll see which breaks ground first, if either ever do

Old 02-23-2019, 06:37 PM

5,172 posts, read 4,942,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
Both have been in the planning stage for 2yrs... We'll see which breaks ground first, if either ever do
I know where I'm placing my bet!

Old 02-24-2019, 08:42 AM

1,721 posts, read 2,785,732 times
We polrobaly wont seenthe footbridge welcome to charlotte harbor wither

Old 02-27-2019, 02:06 PM

42 posts, read 58,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyboy09 View Post
Ha, Probably the first and last phase. With all the great places to vacation in Florida, do they think people are going to want to spend big bucks to stay in a hotel on a brown water river in an area known for senior citizens (of which I am now one).

LOL I get your point but I do have to say the little beach area in Ponce De Leon Park is gorgeous. The water is no Gulf of Mexico water, but it wouldn't say it's brown....maybe in the little side creeks with all the Mangrove tannin, but the actual harbor; not so much. I'd love a nice condo in that area (but definitely not for what they're asking).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte