Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 09:20 AM

5 posts, read 9,682 times

Advertisements

Good point Carbondated. I will check into that and report back. I can't speak for the Venice area but I can see what I can find out for the Charlotte area. I know they are working on the areas on the main system and they are in the process of being set up there but the public site is a separate program. It may not be in the first release but MFR is very responsive and I am sure they will consider it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 09:26 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbondated View Post
Thanks again SoFLGal.
Is there any way to find out if they are going to reinstate the old zone system (V99, P103, for example) search tool? Or perhaps have a subdivision search tool?
With over 1200 single family home listings, for Venice alone, zip codes are far too broad to use.

I just emailed your question to Marty Hunt and Linda Pizarro. This was a big problem with Realtors as well when they said they were taking away the different zones. In a meeting I attended they said that they were going to build these zones into the new system as they were in Innovia, for the Realtors. It would be nice if they had them for the public as well.

From what I understand all of the voting will be over today at noon. I'm not sure how long it will take to tally the votes up. When they tell us the results I'll let you know and I'll let you know when they respond to my email.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:26 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
I have a few points to ponder - whether you are a buyer / Real Estate Agent (RA), or seller. Some may be expanded upon - which I am sure they will - this is a great site for open discussions. Anyway here goes . . . These are not in any special order - just my thoughts - you can select the points and rate them by your own priority system.

1. I think the information in the MLSs is inputted and filtered by RAs. Except for Confidential information RAs will get and disclose most of the information found on the search sites to interested parties by various means. Especially if it is pertinent to what one can see or find through inspection or other public sources. So not providing open access to all the pertinent information is not helpful to everyone.

2. It helps interested buyers do their own searches quickly which in turn:

a. Helps cut down a lot of wasted time for the buyers and the RAs - thus speeding up the process to generate a sale increasing the RAs profit / bottom line, and reducing the cost & frustration of the buyer & seller.

b. There is a lot of back and forth communication - or lack of communication - (some intentional some because some people just cant communicate well), when trying to describe the desirable features they want in a house/ property, or how a buyer prioritizes those desirable features. The MLSs let the buyer/owner find a better solution for those needs more efficiently and effectively, and range in on the number of options quickly and efficiently. This helps all of the buyer and the RAs.

c. Buyers will change agents quickly if they are not well served - this does not help the agency - especially if the buyer is willing to do most of the work themselves, at their own expense. I applaud those that look to help themselves - only you can make yourselves happy - by making the right choice for yourselves. And, like many are doing here - say so (where ever you can, and as often as necessary) - if you aren't being helped.

3. If your real estate agent (RA) is not helping you effectively / efficiently find one that will - you have the wrong one. (((I am not one, but will make a good recommendation if your looking in the area, although I probably don't have too.)))

4. MLSs may be a private company; they have a desirable helpful product. They have the right to operate in their best interest. That said, it may help to point out that their best interst is to help the public in a better way. Ultimately it is the public that they serve. Obviously some RA get it and some dont.

5. Real estate companies should support open access - it helps them operate more efficiently & effectively and as I stated it should help quicken the sales process. The competition among RAs will will under cut the faults "registration" advantage some RAs think helps them.

6. Having a refined search engine with good criteria / information is more helpful to all in finding a home - then viewing the pictures and Virtual Tours allows a huge time savings for all. Gas & time is expensive for all. If you can reduce that it is win / win. Especially since a lot of buyers in Florida are from out of town, with limited time to visit & inspect houses of interest. If out of town buyers can be ready when they come town it will help all parties. That is a big market in FL, it is not the guy across the street who is looking.

7. It seems as thought he IDX data base may be good - when it is ready if it allows a quality thorough and accurate search with sufficient information to all. It seems foolish to take down one system before you have the other system up and running and at least Beta tested. Did the RA vote on and get a system and not know what it was getting? It seems that way - especially if it isn't already up and running and helpful to the RAs that need the information now. It seems like a thoughtless business move if my observations are on target.

8. Was the Innovia system bought out by the current MLS provider? Why isn't it available and competing with the current system - which seems to be operating as a monopoly - limiting access - limiting information - dictating a fee? It seems like a good business opportunity to come in and compete - unless they really do knock the socks off with their information / cost / speed / eas of use / and timely access it.

9. d4g4m made a good point that buyers will usually search out RA that are int hte area where they want to buy. I think that is true - a good local RA is valuable and helpful in a lot of other ways besides just being able to transact the sale. The information they provide is extremely valuable, if you don't know something like FEMA's flood mapping is grandfathered in this are you can pay thousands of dollars a year more than necessary for insurance - an agent from outside the area would never know that.

10. The MLSs seem to be only targeting RA as their only customer. They and the RAs are missing the bigger picture - they haven't figured our how to help the customer (the buyer and seller). When they do their product will be of a much higher value. It seems that they are going through a learning process right now - and this board, and the people on it are contributing to that. SoFLGal and Mike (don't know who that is) is leading the charge and making sure the voices are heard. I hope they don't discount the valuable information you are trying to pass on to them. It would be a shame, because it will help them deliver a better product - no question - if they listen - which they seem to be. Patience will tell.

11. The Maps (street locations by Virtual Earth type format) are great. It allows you to get your bearings, see how far the town and other area points of interest are from the property being reviewed. That is very important to most of us (the public). Also having as much information and pictures is important so you can see the condition of the property. Many people want fixer uppers, and many don't so that is helpful. Also the virtual tours are a great help as well. They all help the process of finding a home proceed more quickly. It helped me save time in my house hunting, led to a sale for my RA, and I am sure it will help others. I did a lot of the work myself, which helped my RA know I was a real buyer, because I had done so much work - they could tell I was serious. I was also prepared, I had realistic expectations, but the help I received before and since has been VERY valuable, and VERY appreciated.

12. Being able to search a database by using the MLS #, as well as the street address is helpful. If you are going to be able to search on the criteria, and then it will give you the address why can't you search on the address and see the criteria? Some allowed that and some didn't. If you find a house (address or MLS #), and want to review the other information - it will help the process.

13. Most people searching will look to Zillow, Cyberhomes, Lending Tree, Trulia, and others - why - because it easy. Serious buyers will contact a local agent (in most cases, and if they are smart), and will look to the MLSs because it is expected that the most accurate information, listings, and house prices are listed there. Agent websites are not updated regularly or consistently.

A good centralized system is not the point. It is helping the customers first - that will in-turn make the sale - helping the seller and buyer (the customer and secondary client of the MLS), and first and foremost the Real Estate Agent because it will help them all make a sale quicker, more effectively, and more efficiently and will make them more profitable (which is the mission . . . isn't it).

I hope this helps. Sorry for being so long worded.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:39 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
I see that the Charlotte Board re-instituted the charlotteareamls to a search site, but not with inovia, not even their own mid florida site, but a site belonging to a state wide Florida Board of Realtors. Evidently done to quite the complainers.
I gave it a test.
Every city in the state is listed, so you must know the zip code you want, otherwise you will get every listing in a city. I picked a zip code in Punta Gorda and a price range of $100,000 to $250000
Then the amazing part of the selection. There are 6 items to narrow your search. Three of the choices are - fireplace?, air conditioner? gas heat? Is this for real? Was the software programmer living in Ohio when the program was designed? The other three choices are just as useless. I'm looking at this in disbelief. The Florida Board of Realtors actually paid for this garbage? I wonder how much time, thought and home buying knowledge was put into the program.
It seems to me that the only people who know how to design a functional, makes sense search page with a listing showing everything you want to know about a property is Inovia. But sad to say, they got the boot.
I click search and get 126 listings. Looks like I have to look really close at the miniture photos to find a house with a two car garage. And I can't discount homes built before 1994 without viewing the listing [$2000 a year insurance rate difference between pre and post 94]
I clicked the listing. There is no information concerning if a house is in a flood zone or not. That's an additional $750 a year and required by the mortgage company. No info if the house is in a CDD. That can be an additional $1800 a year. Monthly maint fee $120 to $400 a month. Special assessment for the new sewer installed last year? All minor items to a realtor but can add $600 a month to a mortgage payment. How about wanting to know up front a basic need to know fact if the house has county water or a well, septic or sewer.
All these items are important for a buyer to make a decision [before giving up your phone # and burning $4 a gal gas] but are not on any RE listing sites. And you won't find them on this site. You might learn about these facts after you write a deposit check. Do you see why search items are important?
Bottom line evaluation of this site. Just another one of the poorly designed, tells us nothing sites with worse search options than the other RE broker sites.
Looks like we were really spoiled with the inovia web site.

Last edited by d4g4m; 06-26-2008 at 04:00 PM..

Old 06-26-2008, 03:57 PM

Here are the vote results. It looks like we are keeping the new system. Great post BigHouse with some very valid points. d4g4m-The site left me scratching my head as well. Doesn't seem to really make sense, does it?:

JUNE 26, 2008

We hereby certify that the vote tally for the PGPCNP Association of REALTORS® ballot measures of this date are as follows:

AMENDMENT 1 205 FOR
620 AGAINST

AMENDMENT 2 225 FOR
601 AGAINST

Both ballot measures failed.

Inspectors: Cynthia Logan, Robert Gray and Nancy McClary

Old 06-26-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
I see that the Charlotte Board re-instituted the charlotteareamls to a search site, but not with inovia, not even their own mid florida site, but a site belonging to a state wide Florida Board of Realtors. Evidently done to quite the complainers.
I gave it a test.
Every city in the state is listed, so you must know the zip code you want, otherwise you will get every listing in a city. I picked a zip code in Punta Gorda and a price range of $100,000 to $250000
That helps No one.

Quote:
Then the amazing part of the selection. There are 6 items to narrow your search. Three of the choices are - fireplace?, air conditioner? gas heat? Is this for real? Was the software programmer living in Ohio when the program was designed? The other three choices are just as useless. I'm looking at this in disbelief. The Florida Board of Realtors actually paid for this garbage? I wonder how much time, thought and home buying knowledge was put into the program.
Typical lack of leadership. Pay for something, provide little direction, don't follow up, and you get a poor quality work product as a result. That is a poor service even to those members that need and rely on the service they have helped pay for.

Quote:
It seems to me that the only people who know how to design a functional, makes sense search page with a listing showing everything you want to know about a property is Inovia. But sad to say, they got the boot.
Again, make your association buy into something, without making sure you have something better, and . . . don't forget to charge them more $$.

Quote:
I click search and get 126 listings. Looks like I have to look really close at the miniture photos to find a house with a two car garage. And I can't discount homes built before 1994 without viewing the listing [$2000 a year insurance rate difference between pre and post 94]
I clicked the listing. There is no information concerning if a house is in a flood zone or not. That's an additional $750 a year and required by the mortgage company. No info if the house is in a CDD. That can be an additional $1800 a year. Monthly maint fee $120 to $400 a month. Special assessment for the new sewer installed last year? All minor items to a realtor but can add $600 a month to a mortgage payment.
All these items are important for a buyer to make a decision [before giving up your phone # and burning $4 a gal gas] but are not on any RE listing sites. And you won't find them on this site. You might learn about these facts after you write a deposit check. Do you see why search items are important?
Bottom line evaluation of this site. Just another one of the poorly designed, tells us nothing sites with worse search options than the other RE broker sites.
Looks like we were really spoiled with the inovia web site.
Some agents will do what is necessary to make the sale - regardless of their clients best interest. Some take the higher road - thank goodness, and put in a little extra effort to ensure you have the best information, which is the service you expect. A good local agent can help you with many of these costs or help get quotes from recommended companies that you can use to make a good founded decision. That is best for all parties, and the industry too. The MLSs should work in a manner to "insure" the best outcome by providing the best, most accurate information. The better informed buyer is better for everyone.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Here are the vote results. It looks like we are keeping the new system:

JUNE 26, 2008

We hereby certify that the vote tally for the PGPCNP Association of REALTORS® ballot measures of this date are as follows:

AMENDMENT 1 205 FOR
620 AGAINST

AMENDMENT 2 225 FOR
601 AGAINST

Both ballot measures failed.

Inspectors: Cynthia Logan, Robert Gray and Nancy McClary
What does that mean? What did they vote against?

Old 06-26-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
What does that mean? What did they vote against?
I only had it in PDF form so I had to retype it-here's what the ballot looked like:

SPECIAL MEETING OF THE MEMBERS OF THE PUNTA GORDA-PORT CHARLOTTE-NORTH PORT ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS, INC

June 26, 2008 Ballot
Proposed Amendment number 1

The Board of Directors recommends you vote AGAINST this amendment:

On the matter of the proposal to amend Article XIII, Section 1 of the Bylaws in its entirety to read:

Article XVII-Multiple Listing-The Association of Realtors shall maintain for the use of it members a Multiple Listing Service which shall be a lawful corporation of the state of Florida, 100% of the stock of which must be owned solely and exclusively by the Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte/North Port Association of Realtors. Amending this section in any way, shall require the board of directors set an election on the issue to amend it. In order to take effect; any amendment to Article XVII Section 1, authority must be passed by the majority of the Realtors members to vote in the election.

I hereby cast my vote on Proposal Amendment Number 1 as follows:

------------ For (in favor of) the amendment

---------------- Against (opposed) the amendment

The Board of Directors recommends you vote AGAINST this amendment:

2. On the matter of the proposal to amend section (c) of Article XI, Section 6. Removal of Officers and Directors of the bylaws in its entirely to read as follows:

(c) The special meeting shall be noticed to all voting members at least ten (10) days prior to the meeting, and shall be conducted by the President of the Association unless the President’s continued service in the office is being considered at the meeting. In such case, the next ranking officer will conduct the meeting of the hearing by the Members. Provided a quorum is present, a majority vote of the Membership present and voting shall be required for removal from office.

I hereby cast my vote on Proposed Amendment Number 2 as follows

--------------------For (in favor of) the amendment
------------Against (opposed to) the amendment

Old 06-26-2008, 04:56 PM

Well then, I hope they make it better for everyone. Unfortunately the area has a lot of unique issues / features / opportunities that do not fall within the normal housing market, and will most likely not show up in the MLS features.

Again, since many people interested in the area come from outside the area, they most likely will not be well served. It may cost the area a good hard look, because much of the beauty and unique features will not be found. Thus people will look elsewhere for the answers, and the process when it does go through the full course to a sale will take much longer and be more costly to all parties.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:47 PM

5 posts, read 9,682 times
Please have some patience as we deal with the transition to the new system. You will ( I believe and hope) be happy with the public website when it is available in August. Yes, Innovia had some nice features; the MFR system (Market Linx) owns Innovia so there are many similar features but it takes time to build a site. Be patient. It will be there soon. In the meantime, you have the alternate site through the Florida Assn of Realtors. Admittedly, it isn't quite as good, but it is better than nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte