Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 09:08 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,049,009 times

Advertisements

My little Reggie is gone.
We got a call Friday night from a man that said "I have your little dog, Reggie" and I said "OMG! Thank you! He mustve just gotten out of the yard, where are you? I'm on my way" and he said the street, then "Im afraid he's hurt though, he's been hit by a car" Well, we rushed down and found my sweet baby boy, sitting on the ground, hiding between some boats, I was shouting his name and running towards him, and he didnt come to me like he always does. I felt him over, and couldnt find any obvious injuries, but he was soooo quiet and thats just not him. So we carefully scooped him up and brought him home. Laid him on some towels and kept him by my side all night long. First thing in the morning, I took him to the vet. Oh, he was so good! What a wonderful brave boy! I know he was scared, and hurting, but the whole time, he kept his big brown eyes locked onto me, waiting this out for me to fix. Even when the vet was moving and prodding at him, he never once snapped/growled/ or tried to get away. Such a wonderful good boy...Well, they did the x-rays and we got very bad news. His pelvis was busted. Badly. The bone jutted right out into him. They said he must have internal damage too. If we insisted, they could set it and try and cast him, but that it was a very slim chance he would ever walk again (must less bounce, and see, he was a rat terrier mix, he was always jumping and bouncing everywhere) and that he wouldnt be able to void on his own again either. So, I had to make the worst choice of my life ever. And say we needed to release him from the pain and not make him live like that. They had given him morphine so we waited for my husband and the kids to all come say goodbye as well. He kept his eyes locked on mine the whole time. Never waivering. Even in the end, they remained open and on mine.
This is ripping me apart. I wish so bad we could have fixed him. I keep thinkin of him waiting and trusting me to fix him, and that he probably went to sleep thinking he was going to wake up again and all would be fine. But instead, I had him put to sleep forever. The guilt is overwhelming, the grief is constant and sharp. And all anyone outside my little family wants to speak of/think of is that today is Easter, yeah, lets celebrate and be happy. I cant. I just cant.
I'll never see his huge smile when I call him my Mr Handsome. He'll never prounce around again when I tell him he's my show dog (hes rat terrier/bision frise mix) I'll never see him run to the fence and bark so fiercely at the neighbors pit bulls, he was the fiercest bravest boy ever! He thought he was HUGE, he was actually the runt of the litter and well under 10lbs. I'll never see him run SO FAST!!! again across the fields. He was such a good boy. He had never nipped or growled at anyone before, excpt once. Reggie was the one who alerted us by barking like crazy when a guy high on meth had gotten into our garage and was trying to break into our house through my sons window. He saved us.
and I couldnt save him.
Attached Thumbnails
GoodBye my sweet Reggie boy, My Mr Handsome :(-reggie-peeking-under-ryans-arm.jpg   GoodBye my sweet Reggie boy, My Mr Handsome :(-why-yes-i-am-lap-dog.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 09:21 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,005,392 times
I'm so sorry for your loss. Just remember, he's now waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge. As hard as it was you made the right call, and showed your undeniable love for Reggie. It's been 3 weeks since my DH and I had to make the same choice for our cat, and I am still crying. Don't let anyone tell you your grief isn't important. Who cares if it's Easter or not, grieve all you need to today.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:55 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,473,344 times
Oh, Tiffela, I'm so very sorry. You will see each other again - I firmly believe that. Please take comfort in knowing that he loved you, and you cared for him when it was the hardest thing to do, that is, making that choice. I know he thanks you from the bottom of his little heart.

Anyone who can say that animals do not sear their souls into our very being, has never truly loved a pet. You bore witness to that. Never forget he is healthy now, playing and pouncing, just like always.

Never feel bad about grieving the loss of another soul, however tiny. Take your time, please. Be as kind and loving to yourself as you were with Reggie. I know it's very hard. It takes great love to make a choice that was the best for Reggie.

He looks like an angel. Blessings and beautiful karma sent your way~~~~

Old 04-04-2010, 01:28 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
I am so sorry for your loss. You did what was best for him.

Old 04-04-2010, 03:22 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,327,091 times
I'm so saddened to hear of your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Old 04-04-2010, 04:58 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,578 times
I'm so sorry for your loss. What you feel is natural.You relieved him of his pain which is what anyone would do. It was a terrible accident that had a tragic ending. It will take time to heal your pain, and for you to grieve is the best thing you can do. It will lead to healing. Your family should understand that you don't want to celebrate Easter.
My thoughts and prayers are with you. Rest in peace sweet Reggie.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:29 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
I'm so sorry for your loss. I can feel your pain as I read your words. Please do not feel guilt over a decision that was made out of love. We can't always save the ones we love; though I wish that we could. There are things worse than death that I've seen in my own life . . and that is suffering. So you chose not to let Reggie suffer. What a loving and unselfish thing to do.

I believe that Reggie is running now - SO FAST - as you loved to watch him run - at the Rainbow Bridge.

Peace be with you today.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:20 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,590,447 times
My heart breaks for you as I am so sorry for your loss. Making the decison to put a pet down is NEVER easy but it is often that last act of love and kindness we can give them. Do not feel guilty as not all things can be fixed.

My dog Dash also kept his eyes locked on mine when I put him down and I wonder if it is because they are body language pros and unlike us see small changes in pupil size that carry meaning with them so perhaps they see our suffering and are watching us wanting us to know they are sorry for having caused us to suffer? Years ago I rushed my old dog that suddenly went in to congestive heart failure and was dieing right in front of me to the vet to be put to sleep .She was in the other front seat of the car and just before she passed out she extened her paw and put it on my thigh and passed out leaving it there. To me it was like a sign of her saying to me It is really OK It is my time to leave and you will be fine with the puppy beast back home.

Please do not feel that it is your fault that you could not save him as that was not in your hands as so often is the case. You did what you could and that is all anyone can do. I send you heartfelt hugs and prayers that you can find some comfort in this horrible situation. He knew you loved him and he died knowing that more then alot of animals or even people can say.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:54 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
Oh My deepest sympathies! Know he is free of pain and romping and rolling over the "Bridge".

Old 04-05-2010, 09:26 AM

811 posts, read 1,386,853 times
I am so sorry for your tragic loss. I feel you did the right thing, and Reggie showed his love for you right until his journey. The grief HURTS....I know, because I just went through this loss a month and a half ago. I'm so sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge