Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 10:20 AM

216 posts, read 829,498 times

Advertisements

This morning I had to put my havanese, Clyde, to rest.
He was 11 yrs old and became very, very sick.

I've put other dogs down before, but this one hurt the most. He was my "little man", always following me from room to room. My 'velcro' dog we called him.

I can't replace him, of course, but I wonder if there is a recommended time to wait, or perhaps not, before getting another dog.

I know how all of you feel when you have to let go of your beloved pet.

Marilyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 10:27 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,509 times
Marilyn, I am so very sorry to hear about your loss. I was lucky enough to have dogs for a good amount of years of my life and I have been through the terrible experience of losing them as well.

Some of them might not be with me at the moment but one day I will give them all a big hug again, I have no doubt.

Be sure Clyde is now playing with all other friends at the rainbow bridge and will happily wag his tail when you guys meet again.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:38 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,578 times
I'm so sorry for your loss. You will know when you are ready to get another dog. There is no time limit for your grieving whether it be a week, a month, or a year. Rest in Peace Sweet Clyde.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:24 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,586,460 times
I'm so sorry for your loss...it's always so painful. There's no right or wrong time to get another dog, just let your heart be your guide. Some people find adopting soon after a loss helps them through the grieving process, others feel they should grieve before taking someone new into their lives. I am extremely grateful that I have a houseful of animals, as it really took the edge off the pain for me when I lost a cat (Humphrey) a couple of years back to liver failure...I still cried my eyes out all the time, but I shudder to think of the shape I would have been in if there hadn't been animals in my life to comfort me and to need me. Knowing they depend on me gave me the strength to pick myself up and not just sit in a dark room crying 24/7. 5 weeks after he passed, I adopted an abandoned kitten and named him Humphrey II (H2) to honor him, and every time I look at him now, I smile because I know his predecessor is happy I saved the little guy. No one can ever replace him, but that giant hole in the heart can be healed with the unconditional love they give us every day. Hang in there...(((hugs)))!

Old 06-09-2010, 02:10 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
My heart just breaks for you. Death is always toughest for those left behind..with just the memories.
I agree with those above...there is no right or wrong period of time to wait. Everyone handles death differently...some feel the need to go out and get another pet to hold, cuddle and love. Others, feel they have to wait a respectful period of time. I hope you can open your heart and share it with a newbie soon...I'm betting Clyde would approve. ((HUGS))

Old 06-10-2010, 01:06 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
I am so sorry to hear about Clyde and am sending good thoughts your way. You will know when it is the right time to bring another pet into your life. Right now, your heart is breaking, but when it becomes less painful, you will look online at shelter pics and maybe start attending adoption fairs. Then, one day, maybe with Clyde looking over your shoulder, you will find the "one."

Old 06-11-2010, 03:31 PM

Thanks everyone; your kind words are very helpful.

I live in a 200 unit building that is pet friendly. No size restrictions. There must be at least 100-130 dogs here so I get to see them all the time.

I'll prob get a newbie sooner rather than later.

BTW, on my profile there are some photos of Clyde and his older "brother" Casper, also now passed over the rainbow bridge. The 'pink' one is Clyde, when my younger daughter decided to share her manic panic dye with him.

Thanks again,

Marilyn

Old 06-11-2010, 03:40 PM

577 posts, read 1,759,252 times
Marilyn,

So sorry for your loss... Clyde was a cutie! I know some feel they have to wait but really its just a personal decision. I find that the love of a new furry friend is a great antidote for a broken heart and honors that bond between people and their pets.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:21 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
So sorry about your fur-baby. I agree with Jasmine that right away is good - the distraciton of a new pet always makes my heart ache a little less.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:58 PM

I already sent out emails to various breeders of havanese that I know of.
I would rather get a shelter dog, but I need a young, small dog....not too many of those in the shelters but I'm looking!!

Again, thanks everyone. I'm beginning to feel better already even though Clyde's absence is unreal to me.

M
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge