Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 05:45 AM

129 posts, read 682,889 times

Advertisements

What are pros/cons? Why would reasons be that you wouldnt consider a place like this (houses btwn 190's and 240s).

THanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 07:56 AM

53 posts, read 169,877 times
The vinyle siding not a issue. Run fast and far from a slab fondation. In NY the area I am in and in other towns the homes on slabs nothing but issues.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:05 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,059,173 times
Actually, I hear that slab foundations are not a problem here in North Carolina (perhaps because we don't suffer from the harsh winters found up north?).

Here's a post from an old thread with more info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
I am a building inspector with extensive knowledge of foundations. There is absolutely nothing better or worse about slabs from a structural standpoint. The pros and cons are this:
Pros:
no rotted floors or any other issues related to crawlspaces, be it humidity/moisture or insect/animal intrusion
more for your money because slabs are less expensive to build compared to a crawl/basement

cons:
no crawlspace access for running home theater wires etc
slabs almost require high grade padding for carpets on the ground level
slightly more susceptible to termites since they dont have as far to go to reach the wood structure

slabs are extremely common in many areas of the country like florida for example. they are relatively new to our market so people are still getting used to them. Hope this helps, if you want more info feel free to ask away and I will give you all the boring in-depth detail you desire lol.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:06 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janineh View Post
The vinyle siding not a issue. Run fast and far from a slab fondation. In NY the area I am in and in other towns the homes on slabs nothing but issues.
See...that is a real problem. You are in NY, not down here. Yes, in NY and other colder places (such as Ohio where I moved from) slabs are not good due to the ground freezing.

NC is not NY. I'd personally perfer at least a crawl space, but slabs don't have the same issues down here.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:17 AM

154 posts, read 597,862 times
Interesting thread, subscribing.

-Any vinyl siding, slab foundation experts lurking around?

Old 07-15-2007, 09:17 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,841,368 times
I still stand by my original post regarding slabs

Vinyl siding is a great product. Just cut your grass with the mower blowing towards the neighbors house as a high velocity rock will put a nice hole in it. Also, do not grill to close as it will melt/distort from the heat.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:33 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,657,162 times
No comments on vinyl siding...

Slabs are considered to be better construction that a crawlspace in NC. At least this is what my dad the plumber tells me. Slabs in MA are bad news due to the expanding from the cold.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:56 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Slabs are NOT considered better in NC.

In past years, only the lower priced homes were on slab and had vinyl.

Times are changing but I would never make the statement that you made.

Most plumbers that I know do not like slabs because if there is a problem with the buried pipes, they must drill right through the floor in the house to get through the slab to get through to the pipes.

I have never personally known anyone that has had to do this and I have no problems with slabs, although I prefer crawl for the cosmetic look, but I must disagree with your statement.

Vicki

Old 07-15-2007, 11:48 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times
I'm on my third house with a slab foundation (1 here in NC, 2 in VA) and have no issues with them. Heck, my houses in VA were 30 years old and did just fine on their slabs all that time. I figured it's one less thing to worry about (vs. a crawlspace or basement). Also, on a very level lot (which I prefer), it's pretty logical to build on a slab.

Anyhow, in your price range you might find a crawlspace home but I doubt you will find anything else but vinyl. The downside of builder grade vinyl is that it's thin and usually installed improperly. I had both my houses in VA resided in quality vinyl by a professional installer and they looked great - much better than new construction vinyl.

I wouldn't sweat either to be honest.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:12 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,657,162 times
*I* thought crawlsplace was better construction. My dad said slab was better. Now I am glad that I am renting while I reasearch some homes. I do like the look of a crawlspace better. Which has better resale? Slab or crawlspace? Any home inspectors on this board to answer our foundation questions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary