Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 05:59 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingyouth View Post
From the WCPPS Handbook:

3243 Gifts to Employees 3243
School employees shall not accept cash gifts. School employees shall not accept any other gifts, except token gifts of insubstantial value; provided however, that school employees shall never receive or accept any gift, reward, gratuity, or other compensation from any manufacturer, merchant, dealer, publisher, or author for influencing or recommending to the school system or any school that it use a seller’s goods, wares, merchandise, materials, supplies, services, or equipment.

State law can be found here:

GS_138A-32
While I don't know for sure how the board is structured in terms of reporting and pay, I don't believe they are held to the same standards as employees of the school system? Boards are a different animal and there are numerous way to structure them. I am also unsure if the Wake County School Board reports to the state? I understand State oversight but not sure who oversees them and who they are beholden to ???Perhaps someone can give us proof here via a link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 06:26 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
That's true. I didn't even notice the salutation. If I'm not mistaken, "Honorable" is used when addressing judges.
You're thinking of "your honor" when addressing judges. "Honorable" is the correct written salutation for most elected officials.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:36 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
I'm looking forward to the N&O to look into this situation -- having the GOP try to raise funds (even in the guise of a birthday present) for a school board official.

If they don't look into it, I will be very disappointed.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:41 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I'm looking forward to the N&O to look into this situation -- having the GOP try to raise funds (even in the guise of a birthday present) for a school board official.

If they don't look into it, I will be very disappointed.
Campaign funds are one thing but a solicitation for birthday gifts in connection with being low on cash is very questionable. Are business contributions going to be used to help pay his mortgage?

Old 01-20-2011, 06:58 PM

519 posts, read 982,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
You're thinking of "your honor" when addressing judges. "Honorable" is the correct written salutation for most elected officials.
I was thinking of more how to actually address someone when sending them a letter, but I do see your point.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:59 PM

544 posts, read 852,601 times
People tend to forget when "their side" is being praised by the public or the press. But they always notice when "their side" is being attacked.

On the WRAL and the N&O blogs, there are many school board supporters crying foul when board critics state their case --- lots of name calling and ad hominem attacks. There are claims of biased news coverage, liberal conspiracies, etc. What they forget is that the role of journalism is to play devils advocate and make newmakers defend their positions.

What many board supporters also forget is that the OLD board frequently faced withering criticism from the very people who support the new board.

What goes around, comes around.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
While I don't know for sure how the board is structured in terms of reporting and pay, I don't believe they are held to the same standards as employees of the school system? Boards are a different animal and there are numerous way to structure them. I am also unsure if the Wake County School Board reports to the state? I understand State oversight but not sure who oversees them and who they are beholden to ???Perhaps someone can give us proof here via a link.
Since members of the school board are members of the WCPPS, I would think those regulations would be in effect.

This may be a case of something being legal, yet probably unethical. I would have thought that the Wake GOP chair would have been on the correct side of caution and simply asked people to send Mr. Tedesco a birthday card and leave it at that.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:07 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Quote:
From the WCPPS Handbook:

3243 Gifts to Employees 3243
School employees shall not accept cash gifts. School employees shall not accept any other gifts, except token gifts of insubstantial value; provided however, that school employees shall never receive or accept any gift, reward, gratuity, or other compensation from any manufacturer, merchant, dealer, publisher, or author for influencing or recommending to the school system or any school that it use a seller’s goods, wares, merchandise, materials, supplies, services, or equipment.

State law can be found here:

GS_138A-32
Are school board members considered to be employees?

I remember the reason the public was given for Tedesco's quitting his job. He SAID it was so that he could devote the time to the school board.

Now, on the website that asks for "gifts", it says he left because the funding was going to be stopped for the organization he was working at.

Which is it? Don't you hate being lied to???

Vicki

Old 01-20-2011, 07:34 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,247,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedratermi View Post
The Wake County Republican Party is asking people to mail "gifts" to JT:

http://www.wakegop.org/

A little further down on the webpage, is this quote:
"Personal Responsibility – we all need to take “ownership” of our own lives, our decisions, and the consequences of those decisions, rather than relying on our government to make these decisions for us, or bailing us out from our own bad judgment."

All I can say is... WOW!
This might be the best post that ever was. Too bad I already rep you too much. Might have to bookmark this to come back and rep it when it's allowed.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Are school board members considered to be employees?

I remember the reason the public was given for Tedesco's quitting his job. He SAID it was so that he could devote the time to the school board.

Now, on the website that asks for "gifts", it says he left because the funding was going to be stopped for the organization he was working at.

Which is it? Don't you hate being lied to???

Vicki
The gifting idea was not Tedesco's idea and it is unfortunate that with all of his personal problems, the Wake GOP may have inadvertently piled on. Wake GOP was looking for a reason to blame the liberals, yet it really makes them look petty.

And yes, I hate being lied to. Yet I hate the hypocrisy more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary