Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2011, 09:31 AM

351 posts, read 770,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
No, they represent the 99% of people who were too lazy to vote too. How embarrassing for our democracy that people don't value their right to vote and choose their government. Every election and every vote matter. Kwitcherbitching, get off your ass, and vote. It's not that difficult.
See my previous post about the sarcasm regarding the 1%.

But you're right. It's not that difficult. Especially when early voting opens 3 weeks prior to the election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 10:32 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by byebyenortheast View Post
I am totally on board with you. I researched the 2007 & 2009 voter numbers a long time ago when everyone was complaining about low voter turnout in 09.

My 1% comment was completely sarcastic because this whole voter turnout argument was getting to be like a fishing story in reverse -- 11% only turned out, then 8%, then 4%, then 1%. Heck, by the time next election rolls around someone might claim that only 4 individual voters turned out.

Thanks for providing the facts . I agree, some people might find the numbers are not what they expect.

I wish more people would look into the facts before siding with popular opinion and hearsay. The information is really not hard to find; but, it does require more effort than jumping on the bandwagon.

And if the hypocritical arguments (and there are plenty of them) don't come to an end - locally, regionally, and nationally - WCPSS hasn't seen the bottom yet.
Great post and very true. We are not dealing with the issues that will determine the future of the system.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:54 PM

519 posts, read 982,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
No, they represent the 99% of people who were too lazy to vote too. How embarrassing for our democracy that people don't value their right to vote and choose their government. Every election and every vote matter. Kwitcherbitching, get off your ass, and vote. It's not that difficult.
As I have always said about any election, whether local or federal: don't vote, don't complain.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:32 AM

477 posts, read 1,419,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingyouth View Post
As I have always said about any election, whether local or federal: don't vote, don't complain.
This topic has been discussed ad nauseam in other BoE threads. MANY of us did not even have the opportunity to vote since our districts' seats were not up for election until 2011. We didn't vote, but we ARE complaining. And you better believe that we will be voting in 2011!

Old 01-23-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizunomom View Post
This topic has been discussed ad nauseam in other BoE threads. MANY of us did not even have the opportunity to vote since our districts' seats were not up for election until 2011. We didn't vote, but we ARE complaining. And you better believe that we will be voting in 2011!
My comment was directed towards not only the most recent election, but all of them in the past.

I am always skeptical when it comes to people saying they will vote and those that actually do. It's like the polls during any election cycle when pollsters catagorize voters as either "likely" or "registered." Why would anyone ever take the time to be registered, yet not label themselves as likely? It would simply be nice if the same number of people who were registered to vote were the same number who actually did vote.

I hope you do vote in 2011. But after witnessing the low percentage of people who voted in the past election, I won't be holding my breath on many of your neighbors voting like you say you will.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:02 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingyouth View Post
My comment was directed towards not only the most recent election, but all of them in the past.

I am always skeptical when it comes to people saying they will vote and those that actually do. It's like the polls during any election cycle when pollsters catagorize voters as either "likely" or "registered." Why would anyone ever take the time to be registered, yet not label themselves as likely? It would simply be nice if the same number of people who were registered to vote were the same number who actually did vote.

I hope you do vote in 2011. But after witnessing the low percentage of people who voted in the past election, I won't be holding my breath on many of your neighbors voting like you say you will.
It seems that when people are satisfied with things, they don't take the time to vote. Therefore, the last board election had low voter turnout.

However, those few voters seem to have counted on that.

I find that when people are unhappy with what is going on, they WILL vote. I see and hear lots of unhappy people. I WILL VOTE.

Vicki

Old 01-23-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
It seems that when people are satisfied with things, they don't take the time to vote. Therefore, the last board election had low voter turnout.

However, those few voters seem to have counted on that.

I find that when people are unhappy with what is going on, they WILL vote. I see and hear lots of unhappy people. I WILL VOTE.

Vicki
I would hope that if people are satisfied, they would continue to vote so that their satisfaction would continue.

November is still a long way away, so I guess I should hope for the school board to continue to **** people off.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-23-2011 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: Please don't try to circumvent the language filters.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:43 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,870 times
Default Is anyone going to the WCPSS forum at Cary High tonight?

Is anyone going to the Cary High forum tonight? This school board took an already weird situation (my kids go to elementary in Western Wake, then middle over at East Cary, then High back at Panther Creek--a totally different pattern than 75% of my TINY subdivision) and made it worse (they're reassigning 80% of our elementary school to Davis Drive middle but not our node), which seems totally antithetical to what they have, repeatedly, claimed to be "About."

I was ok with the weird assignments b/c at least I knew my kids would go to middle school with their peer group from elementary, then back again to our side of town for high school and finally be joined up with the rest of our subdivision at the high school level. But no more. So now my kids neither go to middle school with the vast majority of our neighborhood, nor with their classmates in elementary. Totally messed up.

IF you see me there, I hope you cheer me on (I'll be the mom with the petitions and the node maps--or at least one of them). I could use all the support I can get.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:33 AM

477 posts, read 1,419,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
Is anyone going to the Cary High forum tonight? This school board took an already weird situation (my kids go to elementary in Western Wake, then middle over at East Cary, then High back at Panther Creek--a totally different pattern than 75% of my TINY subdivision) and made it worse (they're reassigning 80% of our elementary school to Davis Drive middle but not our node), which seems totally antithetical to what they have, repeatedly, claimed to be "About."

I was ok with the weird assignments b/c at least I knew my kids would go to middle school with their peer group from elementary, then back again to our side of town for high school and finally be joined up with the rest of our subdivision at the high school level. But no more. So now my kids neither go to middle school with the vast majority of our neighborhood, nor with their classmates in elementary. Totally messed up.

IF you see me there, I hope you cheer me on (I'll be the mom with the petitions and the node maps--or at least one of them). I could use all the support I can get.

Best of luck!! It looks like you will have lots of company. WakeEd - Dealing with the large number of speakers at Cary High tonight | newsobserver.com blogs

Old 01-24-2011, 08:30 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
I'm sorry I could not make it to the meeting tonight. I had planned to go to the first one before it was postponed, but had plans this evening.
Annesg, any update on how it went?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary