Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2011, 01:44 PM

3 posts, read 4,798 times

Advertisements

MY wife baby girl and myself are looking to move to North Carolina, from Detroit, Mi. we are looking at Charlotte or Raleigh. We have been to Raleigh and we both like it she has been to Charlotte and she said it was very nice, but she refers Raleigh, because it is more layed back, I looking at Charlotte because it is bigger and have more things to do. We are both African America she is a medical biller and coder and I am a journeyman floor installer and I am working on getting my builders license now, we are looking to leave the cold and the crime can you give us some advice.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 01:49 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
Read this forum until you want to poke your eyes out, and then read some more. Lots of good info here on a huge number of topics. If you want more specific advice, you'll need to ask more specific questions.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,633 times
Hello,

Well its a small world I am an African American from Detroit as well and in the Coding field. I am not sure of you and your wifes interests but if you are into pro sports, jazz festivals and events downtown occasionally.. I strongly suggest for you to move to Charlotte. We recently moved to Raleigh from Florida and it leaves alot to be desired. We are in our 30s with children and we thought we wanted laid back as well but not this laid back. This is a great place if you are from NYC or Boston etc and want to get away from the BIG city and dream of owning a home one day or a much slower pace.

If you are like most people from Detroit you just want to get away from crime and bad weather.. NOT big city features..

Go with Charlotte suburbs.. you will thank me later

Old 03-30-2011, 10:49 PM

Hello

Thanks for reply foreverflorida, that is something you and my wife just might know each other and as for florida that was our first thought, the Tampa Bay area, but we have no family there but a timeshare in Indian Shores, so we deceided to kept it as a vacation spot.You are right we want to get away from the crime and awfull weather and poor school system and etc. Charotte suburbs huh ok will look into it.

Thanks

Old 03-31-2011, 05:23 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
If you are planning to live in the suburbs, there is very little difference between Raleigh and Charlotte subruban life. It is true that as far as downtown ammenities go Charlotte has more pro sports than Raleigh though I sometimes wonder if the Bobcats and Panthers still qualify as "professional".

Seriously though, I find the two areas are more alike than different. I would visit the two and see if one strikes you. In the end I think you woul be best served by picking the area that offers you the best employment opportunity. Good Luck!

Old 03-31-2011, 03:42 PM

Thanks

Old 04-16-2011, 01:22 PM

16 posts, read 49,517 times
I would choose Raleigh and commute to Charlotte for special events. More people more problems less is truly more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary