Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 10:36 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,760,935 times

Advertisements

As someone who was born in St.Louis but has lived in the Dallas area for the last 3 years, I was wondering what is the overall make-up of Raleigh in terms of religious or non-religious affiliation? As someone who sees no need for religion in my life, it was hard adjusting to Texas with seemingly a great deal of people who wanted me to "come to Jesus" all the time. With N.C being in the "Bible Belt" also I presume, is that something that holds true in Raleigh or other cities alot? I know this thread will offend some with strong ties to faith, but it is something I now consider when moving to a different area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 10:40 AM

6,449 posts, read 9,809,163 times
I moved here 2 years ago and not 1 person has asked me about nor tried to tell me anything about religion.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:41 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,247,610 times
It's a mixed bag here. As long as you're in the Raleigh/Durham/Cary/Chapel Hill/Carrboro/Apex sorta areas you're not going to get too many people attempting to convert you. The further you get out into the countryside, the more likely you'll find things of that nature.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:42 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,342,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
It's a mixed bag here. As long as you're in the Raleigh/Durham/Cary/Chapel Hill/Carrboro/Apex sorta areas you're not going to get too many people attempting to convert you. The further you get out into the countryside, the more likely you'll find things of that nature.
Ditto this.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:46 AM

355 posts, read 957,931 times
You will be expected and pressured to follow the one true faith: college basketball.

Religious strife is common between the sects: NC State, Duke, UNC, and those wretched heathens at Wake Forest.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:47 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,193,387 times
Nobody here has ever pleaded with me to come to Jesus. Lots of people are very churchgoing, and I occasionally have neighbors or friends invite me to church with them, or tell me about their church, but not in a weird way. Usually I just thank them, but no thank them.

I do try to avoid the door-to-door Jehovahs and Mormons by closing the curtains when I see they're in the neighborhood. There's something much less agreeable about having strangers tell you about their religion than neighbors.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:16 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,213,961 times
Some go to church, some go alot, some go rarely and others do not go at all...

Old 03-31-2011, 01:55 PM

248 posts, read 754,400 times
Plenty of Agnostics, Atheist, Baptist, Catholics, Born Agains, Jews, Muslim's, Sikh, etc. So as stated nobody pushes any one faith on you.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:30 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,821,323 times
The Raleigh area is not "The Bible Belt" as it is usually thought of. While there are many churches here, a lot of those are "liberal" (Unitarian) or moderate in denomination; not really too many of the "fire-and-brimstone" sort and if there are, you'd never know it. It is common for neighbors or co-workers to ask a newly-relocated person about their church or whether they belong to a church, but it is done in a helpful way, not an "in-your-face-you'd-better-think-just-like-me" way. Just politely say you are not in the market for a church or that you aren't really a church person, and the shouldn't ask again (if they do, they are being rude).

"Old Southern culture" is based around churches, less so for the religious doctrine than for the "congregational" aspect, where people always had something to do something with, familes met other families with kids, etc. Churches still serve that purpose, of course, but those who grew up in the South will feel more strongly attached to that purpose of a church than just as somewhere to go once a week. So give someone the benefit of the doubt if they mention a church unless it's in a particularly proselytizing way, at which point you have the right to take offense.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:33 PM

310 posts, read 575,573 times
Here is 9 pages worth of opinions on the subject:

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...y-raleigh.html

I grew up in Dallas and lived in Austin before recently moving to Raleigh. My impression after 6 months is that the bible thumping seems a bit more subdued here than the Texan variety. I have found out people are church goers when they say something about what they did after church or something to that effect, but they haven't said anything about what goes on in church. I haven't had anyone want to discuss the glorious sanctification or our Lord Jesus Christ or anything (thank Bob Church of the SubGenius - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary