Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 07:55 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,770,721 times

Advertisements

Jillian's would draw a decent crowd on weekends, but I'd go shoot pool on Sundays and it was dead. Same thing a couple of times during the week when we did a work outing there. It has to be hard trying to make it as a business when all your business is a couple of big nights a week. I guess those problems occur in most night life places, but can get magnified the bigger you are. And Jillian's was massive. A lot a sq ftage to be paying for, heating, cooling, paying taxes on, etc. when not anywhere near capacity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 08:43 AM

6 posts, read 16,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
According to their website, they only have 55 locations nationwide. That probably limits their exposure..
If they can put a D&B's in Oklahoma City they can put one in Raleigh.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:02 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,281,123 times
In a world where most households have nice flatscreens with HD TV and everyone seems to have an X-box or nintendo wii at home I don't see the attraction to places like Dave & Busters growing much. In terms of the dining experience, there are plenty of nicer sports bars with much better food I would go to first. Honestly, the D&B thing was pretty cool in the 1990's but it seems like a dated business concept to me now.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:15 AM

6 posts, read 16,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
In a world where most households have nice flatscreens with HD TV and everyone seems to have an X-box or nintendo wii at home I don't see the attraction to places like Dave & Busters growing much. In terms of the dining experience, there are plenty of nicer sports bars with much better food I would go to first. Honestly, the D&B thing was pretty cool in the 1990's but it seems like a dated business concept to me now.
From my experience with going to D&B's its a place for mainly for the ages of 18-40 and people that age don't like to sit home all the time and play video games and watch TV. So IMO, D&B's could do well in the triangle which is full of college students.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:24 AM

246 posts, read 627,146 times
Jillian's used to be the place to be for college night when I first came up here for undergrad. Everyone I knew would go there Thursday night.

There are just certain things with the arcade experience you can't get with home consoles. Shooting games, racing games are enhanced by the equipment. Your opponent right next you. The sounds of skeeball and bells and whistles. Tickets! And the fact you are out being social rather than inside your home. I miss old school arcades. I was sad when the one in Crabtree closed.

Last edited by ProjectE; 05-05-2011 at 10:52 AM..

Old 05-05-2011, 09:26 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,281,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityJay1 View Post
From my experience with going to D&B's its a place for mainly for the ages of 18-40 and people that age don't like to sit home all the time and play video games and watch TV. So IMO, D&B's could do well in the triangle which is full of college students.
Right - and the fact that this area has a lot of college students may detract from the appeal given most people in their 30's and 40's probably wouldn't want to hang in a location saturated by a college crowd - which would probably happen if a D&B openend up in this area.

Could it do well? Sure. I can think of a lot of places were a D&B might be supported by the local population, but I don't expect them to pop up everywhere. Of course, if you would like to get some skin in the game I'm sure the city would welcome your millions of dollars of investment in opening such a business.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:21 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,821,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityJay1 View Post
If they can put a D&B's in Oklahoma City they can put one in Raleigh.
So, why don't you open one, instead of just complaining about it? Contact their corporate HQ and go to town! What exactly was your point in starting this thread?

Old 05-05-2011, 10:38 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,540,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Jillian's would draw a decent crowd on weekends, but I'd go shoot pool on Sundays and it was dead. Same thing a couple of times during the week when we did a work outing there. It has to be hard trying to make it as a business when all your business is a couple of big nights a week. I guess those problems occur in most night life places, but can get magnified the bigger you are. And Jillian's was massive. A lot a sq ftage to be paying for, heating, cooling, paying taxes on, etc. when not anywhere near capacity.
Don't forget the predatory tow trucks. The details were a bit fuzzy as it was >10 yrs ago, but at a daytime corporate outing there, one of my co-workers partially parked somewhere he wasn't allowed to and the tow truck was there to tow him before he had completely gotten out of his car - very bizarre.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:58 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,540,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
I think the area could support it easily. Just need to find the right location. Either Glenwood south or potentially Northills area could really make it big. Ah well.
North Hills has Sparians which is a similar concept just revolving around bowling. I was there for a birthday party a few Saturdays ago and they were jam packed. Our server said sometimes people wait 5 hours for lanes (which to me is a ridiculous amount of time to wait for anything), but they are filling seats. A D&B in the same area may drive them both into the ground.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:36 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,277,543 times
With all do respect, Jillians was no D&B in terms of games and activities for kids/teens. Jillians was a huge Carlolina Ale house with spots of entertainment (not teen friendly in my opinion.) I like Jillians but the D&B model is a perfect match for the Triangle...Southpoint Mall area would be ideal. As someone stated earlier, I think the Triangle could support both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary