Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 07:24 AM

275 posts, read 1,114,836 times

Advertisements

I love this board...I just called TWC, whined a little, and got $32.00 off per month!!!

Our service has been ok except on the phone...although I think it might be home wiring problems. They have to come out after big storms to fix it...probably 5 or 6 times now.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:15 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,724,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaClaire View Post
Heh- we have DirectTV because our remote neighborhood in Orange County doesn't even HAVE cable. I had always had Time Warner before, and frankly, my Time Warner went down more often than my DirectTV does now. We may have lost signal twice in three years.

I do miss the Movies on Demand service, but we do have some Pay Per View options where you have to select a certain movie at a certain time.
Directv will have VOD (Video on Demand) later this year. You need a HR20 connected to a ethernet cable that is connected to your router/computer.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:25 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,724,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
I'd say the biggest downside to Directv is if you want to have it in multiple rooms - the "cable ready" wiring in most houses will not support it so you have to get additional work done. I just have one TV, so it's not a problem for me.
It should work. My townhome is prewired for cable and the Directv guy connected the wires from the dish into the cable connections in the "box" outside of the house. Then all I had to do was connect a cable to the cable outlets and connect the other end of the cable to the DTV reciever. For my dvr upstairs the installer had to run second wire. Luckily, my living room has two cable outlets so the installer didn't have to run a second line into the living rm for the dvr down there.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:31 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times
Yes, it should work - but as you said, the installer had to run additional cable. If someone is having four rooms wired up, it could be an issue. It also depends if you want to have the wire fished through the walls, or don't mind it strung on the outside of your house. In my case, the dual coax runs down the side of my gutter, ~20' along the foundation to my living room and through the wall. My existing "cable ready' wiring is used just for TWC internet at this time.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:37 AM

3,295 posts, read 9,188,072 times
We moved into TWC area from Comcast where On Demand beats TWC's HANDS DOWN...TWC's is P*SS poor compared to theirs.

In the 3 months we had TWC, we had pixelation that you would expect on a dish setup. Even after several reboots and several service calls, they could not get it fixed. Figured if we were going to get a pixelated picture, may as well go dish and save money.

In the month since we switched to DirectTV, we've had two small outages due to weather. Glad we switched. TWC needs to get their act together. Liz

Old 08-22-2007, 10:22 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Guess TWC varies by area. Ours is crystal clear.

Since no commitment and 30 day money back, worth trying TWC first.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,033 times
Smile TWC vs Direct TV

Hello Everyone.

I have used Time Warner and Direct TV. I like Direct TV the best. Mainly because it is cheaper and you get more channels, especially HD channels. I love the NFL network and the Big 10 network for football. The only thing I miss about Time Warner is the On Demand Cahnnels. SAT never loses signal bad weather. If you want to switch, I can refer you, Moderator cut: no soliciting, dm info please

Thank You, Rob

Last edited by autumngal; 12-23-2007 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: soliciting

Old 11-27-2007, 09:30 AM

754 posts, read 1,693,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob19028 View Post
The only thing I miss about Time Warner is the On Demand Cahnnels.
If you've got an HR20 DVR, then on-demand channels are coming to DirecTV, too. AFAIK, it's currently in beta. You just need to hardwire an Internet connection to it or use a wireless bridge. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds good from what I've read.

If you're an HD fan, here is DirecTV's current ridiculous HD lineup:

2007 DirecTV HD Channel Rollout Information -54 channels added (most recent: 11/14) - AVS Forum

Old 11-27-2007, 09:30 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Default If they are making lots on you they will keep you happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve54 View Post
I called on a Sunday afternoon and literally said I was checking my financial options and asked the lady if there were any offers I could take advantage of and she came back straight away with the $25 - no problem.
I was ready for a haggling session but not required - guess I got lucky
I was a Directv customer for years and always got what I wanted when I called. If the initial person was reluctant I asked for her manager and they gave me what I wanted. Eventually they created a preferred customer program with a higher tier of service. The bottom line for me and others I have chatted with in video forums is:
How long you have been with them
The level of programming you have
If you have been with them a long time and pay your bill on time and have a high level of programming they aim to please. That includes better discounts on equipment.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:58 AM

693 posts, read 2,761,051 times
I just got the agreement from my SO to sign up for DirecTV!! Bye-bye TWC! I am going to directv site right now woo-hoo!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary