Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 05:43 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
On the Topic of JT. Sounds to me like he landed a job heading up an official Lobby Group that wants to influence public policy state-wide. Is it legit to have a lobbyist on a local school board? I wouldn think not.
Lobbyist is a term that gets used in a variety of ways. Unless there was a demonstrated action on his part that violates the boards code of ethics he is fine. Are there lawyers in the state legislature voting on matters that impact their profession? What about doctors? I know is other states there are teacher union paid professional staff serving in their state legislature. It sorta makes a lot of sense to have a board member who is associated with the field of education outside of their board assignment. Can a college education professor serve on the board? Seems like his position is one of advocacy which yes may be lobbying but isn't that what so much of public debate is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 05:45 AM

75 posts, read 124,152 times
Default Does Tedesco's new job create a conflict of interest?

No more of a conflict than being on the school board when your spouse is the mayor of the city and has made it clear where he stands on school issues.

I am not weighed down by political ideology so I do not have anything against the man in that respect. I have reviewed his expansive work in helping the underprivileged. The man walks the walk and for that I give him respect.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:56 AM

Five years ago Liberals were heralding the busing plan of the Wake County Schools as being a national model of school reform. There were the faces of those implementing being held up as role models for other districts. Now you have conservative movement to herald the success of the new wave of school change in the district. The national face of this change will be Tata and Tedesco. Data will be used as before to put the best face on their initiatives and it will probably play better away from the district than it does in the district. Tata was a national favorite of conservatives and now he and the right will have Tedesco to advocate for similiar change elsewhere with THEIR statistics of how well it is working.
Not so sure how he will play out in this capacity. Tata is a better more polished player.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:04 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,564,097 times
Apparently this is the Republican and Conservative hating board. I don't think I would be offered the same right to keep a thread open where I bashed Dems. If you don't like Tedesco fine, but the OP's opening line really urks me. How are they allowed to say such things in the Triangle Board? Where are the Mods?

Old 06-17-2011, 06:24 AM

351 posts, read 770,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Yeah, something is very fishy here. He's lived here all of 4 years, has no children, never worked in a school, and yet is somehow "the best candidate" to advise people on NC schools?
I guess that is relatively accurate.

Then again Keith Sutton, judging by his bio, appears to have no children and never worked in a school. Yet he was somehow "the best candidate" to advise people on Wake County schools and was appointed to fill Rosa Gil's seat on a accelerated vote.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:33 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,838,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Apparently this is the Republican and Conservative hating board. I don't think I would be offered the same right to keep a thread open where I bashed Dems. If you don't like Tedesco fine, but the OP's opening line really urks me. How are they allowed to say such things in the Triangle Board? Where are the Mods?
The mod is right here, and since the mod doesn't live in North Carolina, the mod doesn't even know which politicians are republicans and which are democrats. So claiming any kind of political bias is kinda silly.

If there are democratic politicans that you'd like to discuss -- feel free. Just make sure, please, that the discussion stays *local* (i.e., national politicians [Obama, Romney, Bachman, Weiner, etc.] are off limits).

Thanks.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byebyenortheast View Post

Then again Keith Sutton, judging by his bio, appears to have no children and never worked in a school. Yet he was somehow "the best candidate" to advise people on Wake County schools and was appointed to fill Rosa Gil's seat on a accelerated vote.
Board members can and should bring a wide range of community perspectives to a board. Education is the single largest budget item and has such a wide reaching impact on the community. Clearly the interest of Research Triangle Park need to factored in the school decisions of the various districts in the Triangle. No supply of skilled workers and employers leave and don't relocate to. If you want community buy in you need to offer a recognizable door for them to join the discussion thru.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:45 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,092,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I'm glad you've managed to shake him. He's a turd sandwich.

You, otoh, I like.

I have apparently given you (and most of the folks on this thread) too many rep points. But I HAD to show my support for the term "turd sandwich." It's just about as spot-on as can be. Thanks for the giggle amidst my sorrow.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:55 AM

477 posts, read 1,419,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by byebyenortheast View Post

Keith Sutton has 2 daughters in Wake County public schools. Here is a link to his application for Rosa Gill's seat.
http://www.newsobserver.com/content/...8/3/Sutton.pdf

Old 06-17-2011, 07:12 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,946,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
If there are democratic politicans that you'd like to discuss -- feel free. Just make sure, please, that the discussion stays *local* (i.e., national politicians [Obama, Romney, Bachman, Weiner, etc.] are off limits).
Great. There go all the weiner jokes I was planning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary