Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 12:02 PM

494 posts, read 1,389,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Yeah, something is very fishy here. He's lived here all of 4 years, has no children, never worked in a school, and yet is somehow "the best candidate" to advise people on NC schools? Someone is grooming him for political office and paying his way to get there.
Thank goodness.Maybe he can take over the weasly ,perdoo,crime dou some day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 01:03 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,100,766 times
Isn't the school board supposed to be non-partisan? No party affiliates? Isn't that how it is set up?

I never heard anything about Democrat/Republican until Tedesco turd sandwich showed up on the scene.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:07 PM

75 posts, read 124,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Isn't the school board supposed to be non-partisan? No party affiliates? Isn't that how it is set up?

I never heard anything about Democrat/Republican until Tedesco turd sandwich showed up on the scene.
Most people are either republican or democrat or lean one way or the other. If you eliminate the choices to those of us for are completely unaffiliated in any way you will have slim pickings. The mayor's wife is on the school board and she is extremely partisan. This is not something new.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:08 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,946,740 times
Quote:
Isn't the school board supposed to be non-partisan?
There is no such thing as "non-partisan." Some think that hiding party labels some how takes the partisanship out things (see, e.g., judicial elections). From my point of view, openness and transparency is better than trying to mask reality. Just because you've never heard about it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:27 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,834,607 times
Quote:

His party affiliation (well, the affiliation of the "5 person majority") was all over the news when there became a 5-person Republican majority. Then when Debra Goldman "broke ranks", it was all over the news again, as a "betrayal" of Tedesco, since apparently no Republican is supposed to think for herself, or something? Normally nobody pays attention to the school board's affiliation, I suspect, but it was fairly big news year when the current board took over. Tedesco, in particular, has been mentioned as having gotten his seat in the first place (probably hand-picked and encouraged to run) due to heavy financial support from arch-conservative millionaire Art Pope. Which is exactly why I am pretty certain this latest move is just another Pope scheme to move his protege' up in the ranks.

I would think the same way if it were a rich powerful uber-liberal funding someone's rise through local offices, especially offices for which he/she were marginally "qualified".

Old 06-17-2011, 01:35 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
His party affiliation (well, the affiliation of the "5 person majority") was all over the news when there became a 5-person Republican majority. Then when Debra Goldman "broke ranks", it was all over the news again, as a "betrayal" of Tedesco, since apparently no Republican is supposed to think for herself, or something? Normally nobody pays attention to the school board's affiliation, I suspect, but it was fairly big news year when the current board took over. Tedesco, in particular, has been mentioned as having gotten his seat in the first place (probably hand-picked and encouraged to run) due to heavy financial support from arch-conservative millionaire Art Pope. Which is exactly why I am pretty certain this latest move is just another Pope scheme to move his protege' up in the ranks.

I would think the same way if it were a rich powerful uber-liberal funding someone's rise through local offices, especially offices for which he/she were marginally "qualified".
Yanno? I remember that now. I'd forgotten about the hoopla.

Oh. Because I was concerned with the real issues.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:04 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,171,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post

Seriously?

I didn't even know what party he belonged to when I referred to him as a turd sandwich.

Which, in my nonpartisan opinion, he is.

I'm an independent. I dislike a-holes, regardless of party affiliation.
I'll buy you a bagel (in honor to NJ) on which you can smear the turd.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:31 PM

351 posts, read 770,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Board members can and should bring a wide range of community perspectives to a board. Education is the single largest budget item and has such a wide reaching impact on the community. Clearly the interest of Research Triangle Park need to factored in the school decisions of the various districts in the Triangle. No supply of skilled workers and employers leave and don't relocate to. If you want community buy in you need to offer a recognizable door for them to join the discussion thru.
Agreed. But my real point is about all the hypocrisy in the arguments against the newer board members.

Tedesco never worked in a school -- same as Sutton.

Malone doesn't have an education background - same as McLaurin (sorry, PTA volunteer doesn't count).

Margiotta doesn't have kids in the school system - same for McLaurin again.

Tata is not an educator and was only chosen because he agrees with the new boards policy -- same for Sutton (remember he wasn't elected, but railroaded in by appointment).

The new board members made this political -- sorry, but when your mug shot is posted on Wake County Democratic Party | Bringing Democracy to Life! - it seems is was political way before the 2009 election.

Morrison won't run again because it's too political -- hmmm, it was fine when the board was 100% donkey controlled.

The 2009 election was skewed, I didn't get to vote, waaa, waaa, waaa -- lookup the 2007 election, voter turnout might surprise you.

Etc., etc., etc., etc., etc.,

The hypocrisy is so comical it might be good material for a late night satire.

PS - I stand corrected on Sutton not having children in the school system.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:42 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,100,766 times
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by samdan View Post
Thank goodness.Maybe he can take over the weasly ,perdoo,crime dou some day.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:07 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
I'll buy you a bagel (in honor to NJ) on which you can smear the turd.
I won't even complain about the quality of the bagel.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary