Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 10:33 AM

407 posts, read 1,074,471 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine was telling me of an experience he had during a recent visit to San Diego. He was standing in line at a grocery store, thinking of all the other things he had to accomplish that day. His eagerness to get through the line and on to his next task was apparently on full display to those around him, because once he reached the front of the line, the grocery clerk said to him, "Relax." She then said he must be from the East Coast, because "out here", we don't really care or worry about much. That being said, he realized he needed slow down and relax more, especially since he was on vacation. Are we all that way? Has life become too fast paced that we forget to take in the great things around us? I'm posting this on the Raleigh/Cary forum because it's an area we would like to move to (we currently live east of Orlando, Fl, where it is incredibly busy). I would hate to move from this to another area of the country that is typically the same. Can you all relate? Is life in the Cary area too fast paced and busy? If so, maybe I should concentrate on areas outisde of Cary, perhaps Wake Forest or Apex? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 10:50 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,676,321 times
I live in western Cary. I've heard maybe 3 horns honk in the 15 years that I've been here. This is not a fast paced area by any means.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:57 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
So it's gone from " you must be from NY" to "you must be from the east coast"?

Personally I find it rude. The guy is there spending his hard earned money on their tourist locale, and they best they can do is insult where he comes from? There are better ways to get your point across and be friendly.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:02 AM

767 posts, read 1,847,720 times
I would say the total opposite...I lived in CA & Orange County just N. of San Diego all my life until moving here. We moved here to get out of that rat race! People have to work like dogs out there to make a living because housing is so expensive...then as reward they get to sit in traffic! I totally disagree! That grocery clerk must have been independently wealthy and just have been working there as a hobby....

Old 08-11-2011, 11:06 AM

29 posts, read 81,334 times
Maybe she referred to NYC instead of NC? I had a friend from NYC visited me (Cary/Apex) a couple of years ago, and she said everything is too slow here, also complained about the service people were not fast enough when we went out shopping. I told her 'What's the rush? It's Sunday and nobody inline, relax, it's NC not NYC, slow down and enjoy life.'

I remember my co-worker here once said, 'we work for a living, not live for working.' I think that's the spirit.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:09 AM

45 posts, read 68,169 times
I moved up from Miami and it definitely is a much slower pace in Raleigh.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:28 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,595,895 times
Regardless, the pace of live for each person completely relies on them

Old 08-11-2011, 11:30 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
There are always those who move from more fast-paced, impatient areas who bring that attitude with them, and complain how slow things can be here (ironically, many of them moved here "to get away from the rudeness and stress" in the first place!) but generally once people realize the culture is different, they generally learn to unclench their -----s and acclimate to the more relaxed way of life here. Or, they move back where they came from because they could never adjust.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:34 AM

621 posts, read 2,218,148 times
Seems slower here and we like it.. moved up here to get away from the Jones' mentality that S. FL was all about.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:45 AM

502 posts, read 1,251,447 times
After almost 10 years in DC and years in other big cities, I can assure you that generally speaking, people are happier, more relaxed, and far more polite here. There are A-holes everywhere, there just seems to far fewer of them here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary