Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 12:56 PM

407 posts, read 1,074,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
So it's gone from " you must be from NY" to "you must be from the east coast"?

Personally I find it rude. The guy is there spending his hard earned money on their tourist locale, and they best they can do is insult where he comes from? There are better ways to get your point across and be friendly.
Well, the way he described his encounter to me was that the store clerk's remarks were more out of caring for him rather than to be insulting. Maybe he was showing his frustrations and she was just trying to have him relax and take it easy...who knows??? Regardless, I have to agree with the other post in saying you're as relaxed as you allow yourself to be. My only concern is that we're moving to an area that is a lot less busy and congested as the one we're living in now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 03:35 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,228,635 times
When I was moving here from the DC area 4 years ago my boss told me I would have to take a valium so the people down here could understand what I was saying because I talk too fast. I am happy to report I haven't had to take one yet and people understand me just fine. I think this area has calmed me down and chilled me out quite a bit and I love it

Old 08-11-2011, 03:49 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,687,840 times
Very interesting...I DO find people friendlier here and perhaps more relaxed. I did move down here from a much less populated area with less traffic and a slower economy. For some reason people there were often rather pessimistic and negative.

BUT because I have accepted certain realities: Single mom w/2 kids, live in Raleigh, work in Durham, all I've done for 10 weeks since I got here is RUSH RUSH RUSH. I don't take it out on others because I know there is no point to that...I've really been internalizing it...and I have no time for myself. I find myself trying to shoehorn one more errand into every day.

There are lots of great lifestyle options here but I don't know when I'll be able to try them out.

Frankly, I'm exhausted.

I don't know if it really has to do with the culture here or just me making the transition from being unemployed mom to working 40 hours a week mom.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:32 PM

455 posts, read 1,118,059 times
I'm from Durham, and moved to SD last year. San Diegians tend to be more "live-life" and relaxed in posture. It's sometimes hard to be motivated when every day is 75 degrees and sunny with coastal breezes.

I also don't like it when people say "you must be from the east coast" as a comment..it's like saying people in SF and SD are the same. Just like every state, some people here are absolutely clueless to what it's like outside CA, even if they live in the city (i.e. not from rural parts).

Old 08-11-2011, 07:12 PM

226 posts, read 506,883 times
Having lived in the South my entire life, I've always found this "pacing" issue odd. What exactly does it mean? Are people in certain areas just busier and have less time to themselves? Do they work longer hours? Are they always overcommitted and rushing from place to place? Do they order coffee and expect it to be handed to them along with their change?

Am I wrong to feel that the pace is pretty much what you make it? I can rush when necessary or take my time (which is preferable) otherwise.

Anyway, not really being facetious, but rather trying to understand this perception little better.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:34 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,872,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mussakka View Post
Having lived in the South my entire life, I've always found this "pacing" issue odd. What exactly does it mean? Are people in certain areas just busier and have less time to themselves? Do they work longer hours? Are they always overcommitted and rushing from place to place? Do they order coffee and expect it to be handed to them along with their change?

Am I wrong to feel that the pace is pretty much what you make it? I can rush when necessary or take my time (which is preferable) otherwise.

Anyway, not really being facetious, but rather trying to understand this perception little better.

In a word, yes.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:45 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,596,180 times
Quote:

No, you're not. Someones pace of life is strictly dependent on how they choose it to be.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:20 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,092,775 times
The "pace" for me is exactly what I'm used to after living in the Greece and Charlotte areas of Rochester, NY, which of course, is located in the Northeast. San Diego is much bigger than Raleigh, so maybe just the size requires people to be more manic about some things.

Earlier this year, I went to a Whole Foods store in Manhattan. OMG. Definitely insane. Multiple lines of people, waiting to pay for their groceries, stretched through every food aisle. Every single aisle. It was literally elbow-to-elbow throughout the store, with line standers and food browsers intermingled. The lines weren't fast, either. Would make anyone antsy.

I can't imagine a place like that in San Diego. And we certainly don't have such insanity in Raleigh, either.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:36 AM

881 posts, read 2,253,189 times
Quote:

Well just as a comparison to here verses my time in NYC I found many businesses I dealt with in NYC are quicker in terms of service. For example at lunch time here in NC from what I have seen people will take an actual lunch whereas in NY it's grab something and quickly eat it (many times at your desk). People there expect business to be able to handle a high volume of people quickly. Here I find if somewhere is busy people are much more patient if things aren't moving quickly along.

I won't speak for all industries but at a former company I worked for we worked 40-50 hours a week, those at our NYC office (and at my internship in NYC) typically worked 60+ a week, they would often come in on Saturdays.

There is a reason many NYers might be apt to have things groceries, dry cleaning/laundry delivered.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:18 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,687,840 times
It's a vicious circle...you work harder to make money to pay for conveniences such as delivery...so you can spend more time working.

I agree that many of us choose our pace as well as choose our perception of that pace or our attitude about it. Many of those who claim to hate a fast pace wouldn't actually make any changes if they sat down and thought through their priorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary