Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 01:24 PM

134 posts, read 410,452 times

Advertisements

We're looking for something somewhere between Lutheran and Episcopalian, but with that unique Catholic flair. Very ethnic, but not too spicy. Think garlic, not curry; candles, not incense. Dancing is OK, but heavy bass or excessive use of drums is definitely out. We'd like a strict interpretation of the New Testament, but we're flexible on the Old. In other words, we're pro meek, anti circumcision. And in keeping with our New Testament bias, the preacher can be Greek, but not gay. Oh, and we prefer sermons with healthy portions of red wine, preferably French or Californian (Napa only, please). Bread is definitely optional. Built in bowling alleys are a plus.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 01:35 PM

1,040 posts, read 3,601,450 times
Any recommendations in the Durham (27713) area... South of Southpoint (SOS)

Old 09-18-2007, 11:11 PM

359 posts, read 1,838,035 times
ROFL, JoeChristmas, that was the most unique description I have ever heard. I might have to print that off and post it on my fridge. I mean that with the fondest intention

Old 09-20-2007, 08:20 AM

140 posts, read 1,653,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
I downloaded some Crosspointe sermons (they have many available ) and am happy with them so far. Jonathan Bow, though young-ish, speaks very well. So far I'm seeing him stay on topic, use Scripture as his source, present excellent insights, mix in good humor, and most importantly -- provide life application action points.

I can't tell much about their worship from the sermon audio, of course, but so far, it looks promising.

However, they don't have anything in their statement of faith (broken link) that mentions the use of the gifts of the Holy Spirit. So I'll bet they are not "spirit-filled" in the charismatic sense.

Incidentally, I also enjoyed the preaching from Crossroads Fellowship, though I was only able to get 2 downloads at that time.

Last edited by hurricanedavid; 09-20-2007 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: Added bit about gifts of Holy Spirit.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:54 AM

My friends visited Hope Community Church this past weekend. They loved it. They're a little more upscale than us, and they also have a keen eye for programs for their kids.

I visited there a few times, and even signed up to be on the media crew (media crew there is nice folk).

But what I saw from the congregation was that it was mostly full of pretty, thin people. Not too many "normal" folks there. I'm sure there were some, and that there are some genuine folks there, but that was just my general impression.

But the biggest issue was that I didn't think they were "spirit-filled". At least not in any kind of charismatic way.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:41 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,859,938 times
New Horizon in Durham.

encounternhc.com

We like it a lot so far.

Old 10-07-2007, 01:04 PM

19 posts, read 72,605 times
Unhappy Crosspointe

I just recently moved to the area and checked out Crosspointe a couple of weeks ago. I was not impressed with the service at all. Church began at 11am and was done by 12pm (including praise and worship). I didn't get anything out of the sermon. I'm going to try Kings Park International next Sunday.

Old 10-07-2007, 01:32 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,676,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HItoNC View Post
I just recently moved to the area and checked out Crosspointe a couple of weeks ago. I was not impressed with the service at all. Church began at 11am and was done by 12pm (including praise and worship). I didn't get anything out of the sermon. I'm going to try Kings Park International next Sunday.
What is wrong with a 1 hr service?

Old 10-07-2007, 02:33 PM

19 posts, read 72,605 times
Default 1 hour service???

A 1 hour service is great if you are able to preach and teach a meaningful sermon during that short period. The time frame wasn't the major issue, I just didn't like the service as a whole. Again, that's just my opinion and I'm sure that some absolutely love the church and feel that anyone that's interested should check it out to formulate their own opinion.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:28 AM

well, I just visited the Vineyard this past weekend for the first time.

They have two services on Sunay, 9am and 11am. I chose the 9am. There is seating for about 430, but I only counted about 100 at this early service. I'm sure there are at least 2.5 times as many in the second service.

The regular pastor was not speaking, so no comments on that.

Worship was contemplative and meditative. Not as "rockin" as C3 or Crosspointe. But moreso than perhaps a typical contemporary Baptist church. Some songs were easy-going and some were more fast-paced. If you are at home with the very popular Vineyard worship music you may hear on Christian radio, then you'll be at home here. I really enjoyed it.

I also noticed that the attendees were more responsive, in general, to the music than some churches, but not in a distracting way. Several raised their hands occasionally, several had their hands lowered, but out in a receptory posture. A few were worshipping up front, with their arms out. Several were doing the same, but at the back of the sanctuary. There was also some occasional spontaneous clapping out of joy (from several members), especially when a particularly victorious part of the song came up.

They have small groups, and even one in Cary (they are in NE Raleigh), that is fairly near my home.

The worship band included:
  • two accoustical guitars
  • two electric guitars
  • drummer
  • keyboards
  • percussion
  • violinist
  • one backup singer
The worship leader played an acoustical guitar. She has a very nice voice, and I'd estimate that she's in her mid 20s. I thought she did well.

The congregation seemed friendly as well.

Dress was casual.

After my first experience, I guess that this was a "spirit-filled" church.

Please note that this is my opinion and or perspective. Also, this is after just one visit to the church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary