Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2007, 12:49 PM

12 posts, read 66,101 times

Advertisements

Any amateur stargazers in RTP area? I'm relocating there from a suburban area where I don't suffer too much light pollution for skywatching. Are there recommended areas in RTP that are further away from light pollution for better stargazing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 01:12 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
here is a place that caters to your needs

Morehead Planetarium and Science Center

Old 09-09-2007, 01:39 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,060,843 times
We don't use our telescope here at our house in Durham simply because we have too many mature trees! We just can't see enough of the sky.

Here is the website for the local astronomy club. They should be able to give you some good info.
Raleigh Astronomy Club

The people at Big Bang Astronomy Shop in Raleigh should be able to help you, too.
Telescopes Raleigh NC - Big Bang Astronomy Shop

Old 09-09-2007, 01:48 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,863,147 times
Funny you mentioned this. Next weekend we are going to Jordan Lake for some star gazing. My brother is a big star gazer and he says that it's hard just because the sky isn't that big here. There are too many trees! So he goes with a group of people I believe to the Ebenezer point (I am not exactly sure what they call it) at Jordan Lake with their telescopes. Maybe he goes with one of the groups listed in the previous posts. But it isn't light pollution, it's the "tree pollution" that makes star gazing hard.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:18 PM

823 posts, read 3,923,667 times
Morehead Planetarium has some star gazing expeditions and some of them are to Jordan Lake. See the link above.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:34 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,105,356 times
Having lived in Flagstaff, AZ for a while with incredible stargazing in town due to properly shielded and spaced street lights, I can say that Raleigh has far too many street lights. Driving down many of the major roads, it seems there are at least twice as many street lights as necessary. Not only does this bother me from a light pollution standpoint; it seems quite wasteful from an electricity use perspective as well.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:57 AM

842 posts, read 3,230,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
Having lived in Flagstaff, AZ for a while with incredible stargazing in town due to properly shielded and spaced street lights, I can say that Raleigh has far too many street lights. Driving down many of the major roads, it seems there are at least twice as many street lights as necessary. Not only does this bother me from a light pollution standpoint; it seems quite wasteful from an electricity use perspective as well.
Flagstaff may not be a good comparison. The air there is very dry, so light doesn't reflect back to the ground. In Raleigh, it's always so humid (especially at night) that any amount of light lights up the sky.

However, I think it would be great if they simply turned off street lamps after midnight (think of the electricity saved too!). Unfortunately, I'm probably in the minority on that opinion.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:03 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
Flagstaff may not be a good comparison. The air there is very dry, so light doesn't reflect back to the ground. In Raleigh, it's always so humid (especially at night) that any amount of light lights up the sky.

However, I think it would be great if they simply turned off street lamps after midnight (think of the electricity saved too!). Unfortunately, I'm probably in the minority on that opinion.
It would be a nice idea but then we would get more threads like these
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...et-lights.html

Old 09-10-2007, 08:51 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,105,356 times
Flagstaff is not a great comparison due to the climate differences, however the difference in number and intensity of the streetlights, regardless of climate, is alarming. Turning off all streetlights is not an option as there is certainly a safety factor to consider.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:34 PM

285 posts, read 1,040,161 times
We live in Western Orange County and the stars are often quite visible out here. We often head down the street to Maple View Dairy and lie down in a pasture (after, of course, looking for cow patties)

And yes, Jordan Lake is a great place to stargaze. We viewed the Leonids meteor shower at 3 am a few years ago there. We were amazed to encounter a traffic jam on Farrington Rd in the middle of the night! Afterwards, a group of us headed over to Elmo's Diner in Carrboro to grab some breakfast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary