Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 12:19 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,112,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nclover View Post
My second grader has had three nights in a row of homework that took more than 1 1/2 hours. Yesterday, I let her do one hour of homework then work a note that explained that I thought it was time to run around outside!
Geez, what the heck did she have to do that it took 1 1/2 hours in the second grade? That's overkill. Even my middle schooler doesn't have that much nightly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 12:40 PM

277 posts, read 797,924 times
Unhappy I agree!

My second grader has an hour and I think it's too much!
I'm new to Cary and am regretting my choice in schools for her already.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:44 PM

823 posts, read 3,923,667 times
An hour plus for a second grader is excessive. We were told in Chapel Hill to expect 10 minutes per grade. Our second grader is told to read at least 15 minutes per night for her homework. 20 minutes of homework seems like a reasonable max for 7 year olds. Those kids need to burn off steam, play, and relax.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:38 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,449,611 times
How long it takes one child to do something is not a good indicator of how long the assignment takes on average.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:42 PM

836 posts, read 3,470,692 times
I agree with roscomac's comment. When I found it was taking my third grader and hour or so to get her homework done, I went in her room to check on her every 10 minutes or so and saw that she spent much of the time playing with things on her desk, staring in to space, drawing on her paper. I started putting a timer in there and that helped. She also is not allowed to play outside til she does her homework and piano...that has helped speed her up too!

Old 09-13-2007, 04:13 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,670,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaNC View Post
I agree with roscomac's comment. When I found it was taking my third grader and hour or so to get her homework done, I went in her room to check on her every 10 minutes or so and saw that she spent much of the time playing with things on her desk, staring in to space, drawing on her paper. I started putting a timer in there and that helped. She also is not allowed to play outside til she does her homework and piano...that has helped speed her up too!
Exactly! If my daughter is motivated...she can have it done in good order...if she's...well....if she's being a kid....it can take twice or even three times as long.

We have the same rule, by the way, no playing unless homework is done and done properly. We sometimes make exceptions, but there has to be a good reason.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:46 PM

420 posts, read 1,397,959 times
Same rules here, no playing until after homework is done. They do their homework at the dining room table. I am usually in and out of the room doing dinner and chores and available for any help that might be needed.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:07 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,112,765 times
Yes, I also have my elementary school child is do her HW at the dining table as well so I know what she's doing. If I sent her into her room to do it, she'd probably do anything BUT her HW, but I don't have the no playing rule. I like her to come home and blow off some steam after school with her friends. She is allowed to play until 6 PM, eat dinner, do her HW, have a bath and then off to bed.
The other problem comes in the winter when it's not light enough to play outside later, so I prefer her to play first and do HW later when all the other kids have to go home for dinner anyway.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:19 PM

997 posts, read 4,645,875 times
I let my kids play for a bit and unwind after school and then homework. My son does his homework at the kitchen table so I can check on him while I am doing things. It takes my son longer to understand assignments and he usually likes to rush. I like having him near me so I can keep an eye on things.

My daughter on the other hand is completely different. She does her homework in her bedroom. She usually gets in done right on the first go around and it is always very neat. She is more independent.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:54 PM

35 posts, read 293,061 times
and we wonder why America's children are becoming obese - too much sitting around - it's a shame they can't come home and run around (and heaven forbid socialize) oh well - I guess that's what summer is for!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary