Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 08:49 PM

53 posts, read 247,953 times

Advertisements

Schools have made learning a chore. Reading, mathematics, history were all fun subjects through certain years. But when the teachers were worried about test scores, it turned into a box with chairs and a chalk board.

Learning should be fun and exciting. Do we really want to copy the Chinese. That is why our schools have changed so dramatically. Certain people believe we need to teach our kids how to be droans at an early age so they can be competitive in the world market.

If we stopped allowing companies that sell inside the US, to manufacturer outside the US, our country would be better over night.

If American consumers don't have the funs, they can't purchase even the cheaply made products from foreign countries.

Resolution: Help each other, by creating a self reliant system once again. Our country is dependent on many countries for food, petroleum, metals, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 08:57 PM

245 posts, read 267,249 times
I was referring to reading with the child not the child reading by themselves.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,294 times
Default I believe any teacher would want to child to read by themselves.

Sorry to interupt, thought you might like to know that.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:13 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
My daughter's comments just broke my heart. We're all avid readers in my family and I hate the thought that she doesn't like it because she views it as "homework", not something fun, which is what reading should be!

Old 03-12-2009, 02:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,290 times
I am in middle school. I GET WAYYYY TO MUCH HOMEWORK. People wonder why children become obese... they have no time to go outside and play. I am contantly finding myself buried in hours of homewokr a night... What happened to a social life and family time???

Old 03-12-2009, 07:54 PM

128 posts, read 452,936 times
I have a 15yo sophomore son who will whine at the amt of work he has, while rarely does he actually spend more than an hour doing his work. He spends a solid 30 mins whining about how long it's going to take him and can't he just go out and skate for a little while to "wind down" after such a "long hard day at school" and so on and so forth. Then when he sits down to DO THE WORK, it's done in a flash. And I'm talking about geometry and biology and french. He gets good grades (all As and Bs) but he's just a whiner. I find this to be common among his friends, as well. And don't think every one of them would blow off all family quality time for a chance to hang out with their pals. They'll be fine, but it's true (in middle and high school) that they do need to learn the structure of independent study. It doesn't come to them magically once they hit college.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:58 PM

111 posts, read 574,834 times
(daughter writing ) I go to school in Cary and I am in 4th grade. I get tons of homework and if I forget it at home or didn't do it I have to go to consequence room and make it up. Also, if I forget, my homework folder I had to write two essays, one saying why I need to bring my matierals and the other is why it is important to do my homework and yesterday I had no homework!

Old 03-13-2009, 12:35 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,209,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
It depends on the grade, the school, and the teacher. I have found, even in kindergarten this to be true.
Homework in kindergarten?? Kindergarteners should be finger-painting and taking naps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priorityonecb View Post
My 5th grader has about an hour's worth each night. My 11th grader, well...some nights she is done in an hour. Some nights she has 3 hours. Last night she didn't get done until almost 10pm, starting at 6pm.

I do wish it was less...one hour or so is fine. 3-4 is excessive, IMO. I am all for preparing my children for the rigors of college studies, but I also want them to enjoy family time and social lives while they are young too.
No kidding. Lord knows the majority of college kids do.

3/4 hrs on a regular basis sounds over the top IMO, but keep in mind some kids just take longer than others, so it's also an oversimplification to say X amount of time is right or wrong. It's not just about being smarter or not either; some just work harder, or have better work habits, ie some will get right to it to get it out of the way while others will stall and whine and sit there staring at the book fighting it, etc.

PS and FYI generally: most people growing up often find school/learning a chore (sometimes there's a topic you really like and it's not so much, but overall...). What kids need to realize and learn is life can be hard and there are many things you have to do that are a "chore" ie that you don't want to do. It's all about paying a price for the payoff (diploma, self-esteem at being smarter and working towards/achieving goals, better job prospects etc etc etc). Welcome to reality. That doesn't change when you get out of school either. yeesh

Old 03-13-2009, 07:43 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,083,081 times
[quote=joey2000;7868490]Homework in kindergarten?? Kindergarteners should be finger-painting and taking naps.

Oh how I wish this was true. Kindergarteners are learning to read & write and do simple math.

My daughter gets homework every night. Most recently it has been 1 worksheet that is divided into three different sections. She's to do one small section each night (Mon., Tues. & Wed.) Also on Tues, Wed. & Thurs. evenings I have her write the name of a book we read together into her Reading Log. Then Thursday she writes down the 3rd book we read and draws a picture from her favorite book we read in the Reading Log. & Most recently we have been sent home a book or two for her to read to us on Thursday night as well.

I think the homework is fine, but I have heard complaints from others in higher grades that the homework is too much. My daughter gets hers done pretty quickly.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:31 AM

32 posts, read 150,765 times
Default vertical relevance

The notion that our children need to be exposed to the rigors of homework now in order to prepare them for a good college is ridiculous. The argument is known as "vertical relevance" (ie, If they're going to need it later, let's give them a big does of it now). The question is: Where are they developmentally? Studies have shown that too much homework, esp. in the lower grades, can negatively impact a child's motivation and interest in learning. Homework should serve to reinforce what has been learned that day in the classroom. In the later middle school years and high school, students should be given long-term assignments that involve critical thinking and teach the importance of time management. There will be periods of heightened stress for these students, but if a young child is overwhelmed by excessive homework and parents are spending the entire evening helping them complete it, then something is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary