Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 07:54 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,920,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban Dime View Post
I was very interested in your installation data and ran the numbers by my dad who is a scientist with a double major in math and physics. He was impressed! He sent me this:

I did a month by month analysis based on flat plate PV panels tilted at latitude + 15 degrees for Bosch c-Si panels having an efficiency of 15.17% (mfg spec) with the panels facing due South. For this configuration, I get that, for Raleigh, the average "coverage" for this guy would be 60%! Very good! His numbers show a yearly average coverage of just 42%. But, his panels may not be facing due South, clearly some of them will not since they are on different parts of his roof. So, his analysis, provided by his solar supplier, looks to be reasonable. If he could direct all of them south, he would really enhance his payback time!

I have the spreadsheet he created if you want to take a look. Formatting is off to post here but I can email it to you.

Great Project!
Here's my roof orientation. Up is north. I highlighted the two sections where the panels are installed. You can see neither is facing due south, but the ridge between them is pretty darn close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmasek73 View Post
RDUBiker, I saw that Progress Energy had a program to cut you a check for this. Do you know if the other companies in the area (Duke, Wake Electric, etc) have similar programs? I am with Wake Electric and cannot find anything related on their website so figured I would ask.
I'm not certain, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by localyocal'52 View Post
Thanks for posting the project and going into details on the planning and execution. you are providing a community service!

question is what do you do when you need new shingles in 20 yrs? a metal roof would have been a good choice but most hoa's wont approve due to ignorance.
Thanks
Stephen
When I need new shingles, in probably less than 20 years, they'll simply unbolt the panels, replace the shingles, and bolt the panels back on. They are more or less "plug and play". No big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
Would the shingles under the PV system presumably last longer due to limited exposure to the elements?

Also, is the life of PV still around 20 years? So you scrap the PV then and move on to the much-higher-efficiency panels we'll have by then?
Yes, the shingles beneath the panels will no longer see any direct sun or direct rain/hail/sleet/snow, so they'll last longer than the other, exposed shingles.

The life of the PV system is 25-30 years. The panels, inverter, all wiring, and all labor are 100% warranties by Southern Energy for a full 25 years. The solar panel manufacturer also guarantees at least 90% of max output for I think 10 years and at least 80% of max output for at least 20 years. If any or all of the panels stop performing to spec, Southern will take care of it at no cost.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:42 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,539,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
Here's my roof orientation. Up is north. I highlighted the two sections where the panels are installed. You can see neither is facing due south, but the ridge between them is pretty darn close.

I'm not certain, sorry.

When I need new shingles, in probably less than 20 years, they'll simply unbolt the panels, replace the shingles, and bolt the panels back on. They are more or less "plug and play". No big deal.
Your house orientation is about identical to mine. I think I have figured out a way to get my HOA to allow me to cut down 2 very tall "offensive" trees that would partially block the SE corner of my roof. Now to be sure to submit the plans when the leaves are on the trees next year, so the panels look invisible from the street.

In your picture, are those existing solar panels on your rear porch roof? If so, is that to heat the pool water?

Old 09-04-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Your house orientation is about identical to mine. I think I have figured out a way to get my HOA to allow me to cut down 2 very tall "offensive" trees that would partially block the SE corner of my roof. Now to be sure to submit the plans when the leaves are on the trees next year, so the panels look invisible from the street.

In your picture, are those existing solar panels on your rear porch roof? If so, is that to heat the pool water?
There are NC laws in place that prevent an HOA from denying solar PV panels but I'm not sure of any sub-conditions, so you might check into that and go into it armed with this information in case they give you any push-back.

Yes, those other five panels are 4'x12' panels that heat my pool water. They work great, but since the house and a lot of backyard trees shade my pool a LOT, I could use another 5 panels to really get some serious heat on cooler days or early/late season.

I guess I'm really putting the sun to work for me!

Old 09-04-2012, 09:47 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,932,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
There are NC laws in place that prevent an HOA from denying solar PV panels but I'm not sure of any sub-conditions, so you might check into that and go into it armed with this information in case they give you any push-back.
Here is the statute:

Quote:
§ 22B‑20. Deed restrictions and other agreements prohibiting solar collectors.
(a) The intent of the General Assembly is to protect the public health, safety, and welfare by encouraging the development and use of solar resources and by prohibiting deed restrictions, covenants, and other similar agreements that could have the ultimate effect of driving the costs of owning and maintaining a residence beyond the financial means of most owners.
(b) Except as provided in subsection (d) of this section, any deed restriction, covenant, or similar binding agreement that runs with the land that would prohibit, or have the effect of prohibiting, the installation of a solar collector that gathers solar radiation as a substitute for traditional energy for water heating, active space heating and cooling, passive heating, or generating electricity for a residential property on land subject to the deed restriction, covenant, or agreement is void and unenforceable. As used in this section, the term "residential property" means property where the predominant use is for residential purposes. The term "residential property" does not include any condominium created under Chapter 47A or 47C of the General Statutes located in a multi‑story building containing units having horizontal boundaries described in the declaration. As used in this section, the term "declaration" has the same meaning as in G.S. 47A‑3 or G.S. 47C‑1‑103, depending on the chapter of the General Statutes under which the condominium was created.
(c) This section does not prohibit a deed restriction, covenant, or similar binding agreement that runs with the land that would regulate the location or screening of solar collectors as described in subsection (b) of this section, provided the deed restriction, covenant, or similar binding agreement does not have the effect of preventing the reasonable use of a solar collector for a residential property. If an owners' association is responsible for exterior maintenance of a structure containing individual residences, a deed restriction, covenant, or similar binding agreement that runs with the land may provide that (i) the title owner of the residence shall be responsible for all damages caused by the installation, existence, or removal of solar collectors; (ii) the title owner of the residence shall hold harmless and indemnify the owners' association for any damages caused by the installation, existence, or removal of solar collectors; and (iii) the owners' association shall not be responsible for maintenance, repair, replacement, or removal of solar collectors unless expressly agreed in a written agreement that is recorded in the office of the register of deeds in the county or counties in which the property is situated. As used in this section, "owners' association" has the same meaning as in G.S. 47F‑1‑103.
(d) This section does not prohibit a deed restriction, covenant, or similar binding agreement that runs with the land that would prohibit the location of solar collectors as described in subsection (b) of this section that are visible by a person on the ground:
(1) On the facade of a structure that faces areas open to common or public access;
(2) On a roof surface that slopes downward toward the same areas open to common or public access that the façade of the structure faces; or
(3) Within the area set off by a line running across the façade of the structure extending to the property boundaries on either side of the façade, and those areas of common or public access faced by the structure.
(e) In any civil action arising under this section, the court may award costs and reasonable attorneys' fees to the prevailing party. (2007‑279, s. 3; 2009‑553, s. 3.)

Old 09-04-2012, 10:14 AM

Here is the paragraph about them in my HOA's architectural guidelines. RDUBiker, were your HOA's rules similar or more lenient?

All solar collectors require ARB approval. A drawing showing location of the unit on the roof showing visibility from streets and neighboring lots must be submitted to the ARB.

Solar collectors shall be located as inconspicuously as possible. Whenever possible, collectors should be placed on the rear of the home or on the side that has the least public exposure. Collectors should be attached only to the roof, not free standing or ground mounted. Every effort must be taken to camouflage the plumbing and supports for the collectors. This camouflage may require completely encasing the collectors. All metal parts should be painted to match the roof color. There should be a minimum exposure of piping with no piping running down the side of the dwelling. The ideal installation is one that is laid flat on the roof. Any tree removal required to permit increased solar exposure to the collectors must adhere to the tree removal guidelines. No topping or removal of trees on association common areas and/or greenways shall be allowed.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Here is the paragraph about them in my HOA's architectural guidelines. RDUBiker, were your HOA's rules similar or more lenient?

All solar collectors require ARB approval. A drawing showing location of the unit on the roof showing visibility from streets and neighboring lots must be submitted to the ARB.

Solar collectors shall be located as inconspicuously as possible. Whenever possible, collectors should be placed on the rear of the home or on the side that has the least public exposure. Collectors should be attached only to the roof, not free standing or ground mounted. Every effort must be taken to camouflage the plumbing and supports for the collectors. This camouflage may require completely encasing the collectors. All metal parts should be painted to match the roof color. There should be a minimum exposure of piping with no piping running down the side of the dwelling. The ideal installation is one that is laid flat on the roof. Any tree removal required to permit increased solar exposure to the collectors must adhere to the tree removal guidelines. No topping or removal of trees on association common areas and/or greenways shall be allowed.
My HOA's rules made zero mention of solar collectors. How backward thinking of them. It's hard to believe I'm the first solar PV customer in Wakefield, at least the first who's gotten actual approval from the HOA.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Here is the statute:
Thanks for this. My concern is interpretation. My house is 1 removed from a corner so not directly bordering a common access area, but is still visible from a common access area.

See attached picture, if the leaves are on the trees near the street (shaded in yellow), then view of my side roof (most south facing space) is obstructed, but when the leaves are gone, you can see the roof if you want to. Also, the shadows across the yellow shading on my roof are from the trees I need to be removed. They are ~8 ft from my current deck and would be right next to the screened porch I am planning (would include a deck extension as well) - so that is my plan for petitioning to allow them to be cut down. [Just what I want is an 80ft pine tree falling on my house when the next Fran hits].
Attached Thumbnails
Raleigh Residential Solar Photovoltaic (PV) decision, details, numbers, and pictures-aerial-picture.jpg  

Old 09-04-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Thanks for this. My concern is interpretation. My house is 1 removed from a corner so not directly bordering a common access area, but is still visible from a common access area.

See attached picture, if the leaves are on the trees near the street (shaded in yellow), then view of my side roof (most south facing space) is obstructed, but when the leaves are gone, you can see the roof if you want to. Also, the shadows across the yellow shading on my roof are from the trees I need to be removed. They are ~8 ft from my current deck and would be right next to the screened porch I am planning (would include a deck extension as well) - so that is my plan for petitioning to allow them to be cut down. [Just what I want is an 80ft pine tree falling on my house when the next Fran hits].
The only way to find out is to ask for approval and see what happens.

I've removed all pines from my forest area, at least the ones that didn't fall on their own. They are very troublesome during heavy storms.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:46 AM

I submitted my W-9 form and my final paperwork to PEC on Friday of last week, giving them 5-15 business days to swap the meter. At that point I then get SEM to come back out, turn it on, test it, and give me whatever info is necessary, then I should be solarified!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary