Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2012, 10:28 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,923,224 times

Advertisements

Just an update - my system is consistently putting out 31-35 kWh of power per day lately with all the sun and decent temps. Amazing! I bet it will surpass 40 or even 45 kWh in summer when the days are longer, but maybe the temps are too high and I'll lose some to heat.

They're coming Monday to install my monitoring hardware and software so I'll be able to more closely see my usage and production and further modify my usage for best results. The meter reader came yesterday and while she couldn't tell me anything, I suspect I'll have a very low power bill once it shows up, and I think right now the meter runs backwards most of the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 01:37 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
That is a huge amount of power. It will be interesting to see if the heat does reduce the output and how much. Maybe there is some tipping point where it pays to run fans blowing across the panels to keep them closer to ambient temp.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:32 PM

5,892 posts, read 6,958,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
The meter reader came yesterday and while she couldn't tell me anything, I suspect I'll have a very low power bill once it shows up, and I think right now the meter runs backwards most of the day.
Did the meter reader write down the numbers on the displays, or use an optical probe to capture the information? If she wrote down the numbers, the displays will rotate through and display information for energy delivered, energy received, etc. In the picture you posted earlier, the display said 48 00000. The 48 is just a number indicating what the meter is displaying (eg, energy delivered) with the 00000 being the reading for that register. I assume if you ask, P-E will tell what each display item is.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
That is a huge amount of power. It will be interesting to see if the heat does reduce the output and how much. Maybe there is some tipping point where it pays to run fans blowing across the panels to keep them closer to ambient temp.
My friend and I were discussing hooking up a small water sprayer to spray water on them to cool them evaporatively in summer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Did the meter reader write down the numbers on the displays, or use an optical probe to capture the information? If she wrote down the numbers, the displays will rotate through and display information for energy delivered, energy received, etc. In the picture you posted earlier, the display said 48 00000. The 48 is just a number indicating what the meter is displaying (eg, energy delivered) with the 00000 being the reading for that register. I assume if you ask, P-E will tell what each display item is.
Right, I know about the screens but the PEC employee who installed the new meter only knew what 3 of the numbers were. The rest he could not tell me. Other people have told me they are pretty secretive about it, although I'm sure some Googling would turn up the answers.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:12 PM

My eGauge was finally installed today - here's a snapshot from just now. You'll note solar production is totally crappy - it's currently 100% overcast outside and raining, so that's why.

I'm not certain why we're using so much power - 1300W is a lot for 2 computers, 4 screens, a few networking gizmos, a couple DVRs, 2 fridges, and not much else on that I can think of. Part of that could be one of the fans - we do have the heat on today as it's been chilly. I think each blower fan uses about 500-600W of power.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:31 AM

This will be my last post in this thread unless someone asks for more information because I think we've pretty much covered it all but here is a more accurate graph showing what the eGauge looks like with some decent sun during the day:

Old 10-11-2012, 07:54 AM

374 posts, read 1,182,111 times
Thanks for the updates. I think you should update it 1 more time with a full months worth of data.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammester View Post
Thanks for the updates. I think you should update it 1 more time with a full months worth of data.
Valid idea. I'll do that in late November - remind me if I forget.

I could also do a full year (or every quarter/season) so we can see how the power varies based on lack or abundance of sun and other weather.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:19 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
I think we all need to know just what it is you're doing at midnight to use so much power.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I think we all need to know just what it is you're doing at midnight to use so much power.
I wish I had an interesting answer for that, but the largest spike is when both my pool pump and the robotic cleaner are on. The cleaner stays on for about 90min (I may reduce that after leaf drop season is over) and the pump for 5 hours at low speed. It appears that the cleaner pump uses about 1500W and the low speed setting I have the main filter pump on uses about 500-600W. It's much more when I run it during the summer.

During the non swimming months I run these at night to both coincide with freezing periods (it's set to automatically turn on during freezing weather to avoid damage to equipment) and also to avoid peak demand charges and thirdly to run it when it only costs me 5 cents per kWh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary