Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2012, 11:45 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I don't disagree, but my point is that is changes the dynamics of the statistics when in some (many) countries, those who are "functionally illiterate" are not even included in the education statistics, yet here they are. It make the US look low in rankings, and in theory it is, but only because we are including EVERYONE whereas other countries are only including the best, the brightest and the ones with enough money to go to school.
Exactly, and the main reason why NC is often near the bottom of lists of SAT scores while states such as Iowa are near the top: in NC, almost all HS students interested in going further take the SAT specifically, while many other states use the Achievment Tests, etc and only a small number, generally the top kids, take the SAT, so of course the scores from the small sample are better than those from "everybody".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 02:41 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,166,601 times
I had friends in HS who took the SAT and yet had not taken the required classes to even get into college! I did not understand why back then, and still don't. But it surely drags down the average scores when these people take the test "just because" and score a whopping 500 or so overall!

Old 10-21-2012, 07:44 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,657,757 times
It just gets better: Wake school board's Goldman named colleague Malone in theft - Wake County - NewsObserver.com

Old 10-22-2012, 06:44 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
It gets even weirder. Today's N&O reports that the Goldman household called the cops more than 3 dozen times since 2010:

Quote:
Wake schools board member Debra Goldman’s report of a burglary at her home wasn’t the only Goldman call to Cary police. She and her family have made dozens of reports involving fears of theft, intruders and domestic disputes.

Cary police have been called to Goldman’s home or visited at department headquarters by her or her family members to investigate suspicious noises, plastic forks in the driveway, reported thefts and burglaries.
Goldman residence source of many calls to police - Local/State - NewsObserver.com

The N&O also has a story today on speculation of whether the Goldman/Malone affair will impact their campaigns for statewide offices:

Fallout over Goldman-Malone drama uncertain - Politics - NewsObserver.com

Old 10-22-2012, 07:46 AM

809 posts, read 2,188,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
It gets even weirder. Today's N&O reports that the Goldman household called the cops more than 3 dozen times since 2010:

Goldman residence source of many calls to police - Local/State - NewsObserver.com

The N&O also has a story today on speculation of whether the Goldman/Malone affair will impact their campaigns for statewide offices:

Fallout over Goldman-Malone drama uncertain - Politics - NewsObserver.com
What in the world ??? I wonder if N&O checked on all the school board members backgrounds.

This is just crazy.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:58 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,449,222 times
"The News & Observer received a copy of the narrative report from an unknown source on Thursday."

Old 10-22-2012, 07:59 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
I wonder who is making the calls....I understand it's been a very contentious divorce.

I have to say, nothing screams terror like finding a plastic fork in the driveway.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:02 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
"The News & Observer received a copy of the narrative report from an unknown source on Thursday."
1. Politically motivated, of course, and the N&O was tickled to enable.

2. Read the whole article, and if the politics are back-burnered, it is a very sad story, IMO, going beyond a disputed affair and into a marriage with apparent abuse and mental instability.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:28 AM

387 posts, read 1,045,882 times
I'm just avoiding the article because it's definitely a matter between the families and the police and the details are none of my business. It really bothers me that with all the other crap going on about the political division on the school board, and the Tata firing, that we now have a sex scandal to add to the mix

Old 10-22-2012, 11:31 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
1. Politically motivated, of course.
Yes, remember, Debra Goldman is running for state auditor.

Unfortunately, there is a different guy named Malone running for office who may get mud splattered on him from this (Charles Malone, running for Congress in Dist 13).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary