Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 08:59 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times

Advertisements

The issue they've had with busing yesterday and today is like none I've ever seen in Wake County (and I was student in WCPSS K-12, and have a student who has been through the system K-12, so that is 24 years of dealing with WCPSS buses).

This is NOTHING like normal first day of school bus issues I've encountered in the past. Some people's kids came home after 6 PM yesterday! That is unacceptable!

Last edited by lamishra; 08-28-2012 at 09:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 09:05 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,156,454 times
Yeah I can't say I've ever heard of anything like that either. Are they just trying to run too many routes with too few buses?

Old 08-28-2012, 09:16 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
The issue they've had with busing yesterday and today is like none I've ever seen in Wake County. This is NOTHING like normal first day of school bus issues I've encountered in the past. Some people's kids came home after 6 PM yesterday! That is unacceptable!
I've had kids in WCPSS for 17 years now, and I was a WCPSS student myself. I have never seen anything so messed up and widespread as what happened yesterday, save for the early release snowstorm fiasco of 2005 that had some kids trapped at school overnight.

My daughter was told that her bus had too many kids assigned to it and they had to wait for another bus to take part of the kids off her bus.

She forgot to take her cell phone or she could've just called. Poor kid got out at 2:15 and didn't get home until 4:30 and we live about 5 minutes away by car.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:18 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Yeah I can't say I've ever heard of anything like that either. Are they just trying to run too many routes with too few buses?
Yes. I suspect this to be the problem. They have a ton of routes to Green Hope this year. Two pages of them. They only had one page before. Sooo, if this is true of all schools? I cannot see how they'd have enough buses or drivers.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:19 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by touretteboy65 View Post
From someone who is seriously considering moving to North Carolina (Raleigh area) with two children, this concerns me greatly. I have already read numerous threads concerning the chaos of Wake County schools, and this certainly doesn't help matters. I'm leaning towards Johnston County as a result. Should we expect the same amount of chaos there? Most of what I read seems to be positive, especially when comparing the district to Wake County.
there are "hundreds" of CD users from Wake County. There are "tens" of users from JoCo. Wake County school system is probably 5x the size of the Johnston County schools. Johnston County schools are fine schools as well.

When people are mad, they complain. When people are satisfied, they are silent.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:21 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I'm not trying to argue in favor of the current choice-based assignment plan, but I'm leery of using first day transportation issues as proof that the plan is flawed. In a system as large and complex as Wake, there are likely to be some problems at the start of a school year. This is not the first year some families have encountered transportation problems.
it's an annual occurrence. anywhere that's high growth. We added another 5,000 students this year.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:58 AM

546 posts, read 1,679,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
I was under the impression this new bus thing was due to trying to save money in the budget. By placing less busses and bus drivers and trying to merge, it was going to save money?

ETA: yup
Quote:
Dozens of buses were taken out of service this year to cut costs, maintain efficiency and keep state funding
http://www.wral.com/news/education/w...tory/11475954/

Old 08-28-2012, 10:59 AM

683 posts, read 1,885,051 times
I like to say positive things whenever I can, so I just wanted to say that I was very pleased with my son's transportation yesterday and feel fortunate that he did not have any issues. He is a Sophomore at Cary High School and rides the same route from Oxxford Hunt that he did last year. The bus came right on time to and from school yesterday and to school this morning. Again, I feel fortunate.

From what I've heard from others, most of the issues seem to be more focused on elementary and middle schools. Have you all heard of many issues with the high school transportation?

Old 08-28-2012, 11:02 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
my child is at Cary High too, only we don't have a bus! All I can say is that the carpool line at Cary High yesterday was a complete and total disaster!!!

Old 08-28-2012, 11:15 AM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
WCPSS gained well over 3,000 new students this year, of course we are having trouble getting them all bussed to school. By all means, please move to Johnston County!
LOL, thanks for the laugh. I really don't get the vaguely threatening undertone to these "NO WAY AM I MOVING TO WAKE COUNTY" posts. Okey dokey....move along, nothing to see here!

There are so many buses at our same-campus elementary and middle school this year they can't all fit in the bus loop at once.

And our bus is un-airconditioned. They took 50-something buses off the road but left the ones from the Year of the Flood on the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary