Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2012, 03:00 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Yes, they could. There is no state law requiring bus transportation in NC.
I think the analysis by a court could be a little more involved than that. Judge Manning has taken a rather expansive view of the constitutional requirements to provide a sound basic education in cases like Leandro and Hoke County Board of Ed. If the withdrawal of transportation - even if not mandated by statute - results in a denial of a sound basic education to some portion of the population, I could see a court stepping in. Look at what the courts did in the Hoke County case dealing with Pre-K programs. The state isn't necessarily required to provide them, but once it did the court held the state to a standard under the constitution to make the programs available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 03:35 PM

906 posts, read 2,380,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Some people really hate sidewalks. When I was growing up in NY, we had no sidewalks where I lived. Always wanted them (not sure why). Then had them when I was an adult and realized they made things look "city-ish" and were prone to buckling and breaking due to tree roots. This road I am talking about is outside the subdivision in question so there's little recourse for them. They are getting a bus, so what do they care?

Now, I walked uphill both ways to HS in NY, and across the frozen tundra of the football field to boot. I preferred when it iced over so I wouldn't sink into the snow!
That's funny because I love having sidewalks and it was one of the things I looked for when buying a house. I don't feel safe taking a walk when I have to walk on the street, especially when my kids were younger and I was pushing a stroller, pulling a wagon or the kids wanted to walk or ride their trikes. I think they make a neighborhood friendly looking. Interesting how different people's perceptions can be.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:36 PM

906 posts, read 2,380,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barli View Post
Am I the only one who walked uphill both ways, through the snow and freezing rain, 15 miles to school, with holes in my shoes???
Wait, you had SHOES?!?

Old 08-30-2012, 05:22 PM

315 posts, read 767,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighjayne View Post
Wait, you had SHOES?!?
Hahaha! Love it!

Old 08-31-2012, 10:12 AM

464 posts, read 1,043,505 times
So as the week has moved on, has the bussing situation improved / gotten worse / stayed the abismal problem it is?

Old 08-31-2012, 12:30 PM

99 posts, read 181,808 times
Quote:
If there were somewhere nearby to park-n-walk I would probably do that, but there's not.

As far as driving for the memories, that gave me a laugh. Their memories would be of me cursing the carpool line that stretches half a mile up the road. When all is said and done the bus gets into the lot faster.
When my daughter was very little I used to complain a lot about how messy her room was all the time. She never picked up a thing. Then one day I met a lady whose daughter had died, and she said to me, "I'd give anything to have that messy room again."

From that day forward it changed my prospective on everything I did, and was the biggest reason why I never let things like carpool lines, or messy rooms, or sticky fingers get in the way of important things. Time with your kids is what you make it, every minute of it. I never wanted to grow old and be one of those Dad's that missed it...

Old 08-31-2012, 01:33 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superhero View Post
When my daughter was very little I used to complain a lot about how messy her room was all the time. She never picked up a thing. Then one day I met a lady whose daughter had died, and she said to me, "I'd give anything to have that messy room again."

From that day forward it changed my prospective on everything I did, and was the biggest reason why I never let things like carpool lines, or messy rooms, or sticky fingers get in the way of important things. Time with your kids is what you make it, every minute of it. I never wanted to grow old and be one of those Dad's that missed it...
First time a post here actually got me choked up. My daughter just got home and sat down beside me to ask what we might do this weekend.

Her room is a disaster. I don't mind.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:40 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
gotten better. my kids ride it home tuesday and thursday, 3:00 dismissal bell though the buses load after. tuesday they got home at 4:10, yesterday at 3:45. 1/2-way or more through the route

Old 08-31-2012, 03:49 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Local news says 27 more buses will be put into use after labor day to help alleviate the delays.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:05 PM

37 posts, read 82,303 times
Quote:
They should put a limit on how far they'll transport kids. You want your child to bypass two elementary schools to get to another one? Fine - you take him/her yourself.
Umm--some people didn't want this. It's what the county gave them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary