Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2012, 10:32 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,114,450 times

Advertisements

Oh, but most people got their "choice".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 02:49 AM

407 posts, read 1,075,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superhero View Post
When my daughter was very little I used to complain a lot about how messy her room was all the time. She never picked up a thing. Then one day I met a lady whose daughter had died, and she said to me, "I'd give anything to have that messy room again."

From that day forward it changed my prospective on everything I did, and was the biggest reason why I never let things like carpool lines, or messy rooms, or sticky fingers get in the way of important things. Time with your kids is what you make it, every minute of it. I never wanted to grow old and be one of those Dad's that missed it...
You know, I just decided between moving to Sarasota for a job or North Carolina without one. Sarasota meant retiring from my job here in Orlando, and starting the new job there almost immediately. For the last 22 years, and especially the last 12, I have worked, continuously, providing for my family (wife and two young girls). A lot of time was spent away from home, missing out from watching my girls grow up, but it was for all the right reasons. We decided years ago to become a one income family, so that the girls would always have Mom around to raise them, rather than strangers at a day care. Money was tight, practically all the time, but upon looking back, it was well worth it. I have to say I have two of the most happiest girls on the planet because Mom was always there for them, and me too, when I had one of those rare days off. I have a pension now and some money socked away, but it still worries me sometimes to relocate without a new job. Regardless, we'll get by, and I get to spend so much more time with my family once we move to North Carolina next month. Whatever concerns I had in making this decision were immediately removed with your post; a million, make that a billion, thanks.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:26 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Oh, but most people got their "choice".
That's true. I find it hard to believe that the majority of these people (on a bus making 22 stops) were forced into one of the top-performing elementary schools and middle schools in the county. Just a hunch The school was darn near at capacity before the choice plan, believe me they were not in need of any more. Plenty of people on the waiting list never got in; trust me when I tell you no one is at this school that didn't choose it.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:54 AM

407 posts, read 1,075,026 times
Chances of us being able to get a school close to where we'll be relocating to in Wake County? I'd like to relocate to either Holly Springs or Apex; my wife thinks we should try Johnston County for the first year because she's concerned about the school situation in Wake. I feel it'll be fine, but have to agree with her in regards to the chaos going on now in Wake. We plan on moving at the end of this month, so if anyone can provide some input, I'd appreciate it. I know from my research and the comments I've found here on this website indicate the schools in Wake are very good, but the placement factor weighs heavy on my mind. Thanks again.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:55 AM

351 posts, read 770,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
They should put a limit on how far they'll transport kids. You want your child to bypass two elementary schools to get to another one? Fine - you take him/her yourself.
That makes too much sense. But watch how fast the liberals would file a lawsuit claiming its unconstitutional because it would not provide everyone with equal access to a quality education.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:46 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,946,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by byebyenortheast View Post
That makes too much sense.
I'm struggling to see how it makes any sense, let alone "too much," to have a so-called choice program coupled with transportation limits. If we want to limit transportation distances, shouldn't we have a proximity policy that says you go to your closest school, no matter how over-crowded it may be?

Old 09-02-2012, 11:19 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I'm struggling to see how it makes any sense, let alone "too much," to have a so-called choice program coupled with transportation limits. If we want to limit transportation distances, shouldn't we have a proximity policy that says you go to your closest school, no matter how over-crowded it may be?
It works just fine in NYC, where many kids choose which High School they go to and use public transportation to get there.

You really can't have it all....there is only so much money. If you live across the street from the school with crap test scores (and they exist, even here in *gasp* western Cary) you have a choice - travel to the school that has better scores (which ultimately mean nothing in the child's academic life). Or, put some pressure on the closer school's administration to get those scores up. Because those high scores? they don't come easy and they don't come without a lot of pressure. I have a feeling a lot of people that just had to be in our school are in for a big surprise come January (a/k/a test prep time). And everything else being equal, there's no real reason to make that trip.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:41 PM

464 posts, read 1,044,330 times
Quote:
It works just fine in NYC, where many kids choose which High School they go to and use public transportation to get there.

You really can't have it all....there is only so much money.
twingles, I wish I could rep you but I must spread the love around first. This is the crux of the matter. There is only so much money to go around and in my opinion it makes more sense to spend money on quality teachers then 6 busses that come to the same neighborhood picking up only a handful of students each.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:11 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,946,740 times
Quote:
Happens to be a NY Times article on this today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/03/ed...-left-out.html

Old 09-03-2012, 03:34 PM

351 posts, read 770,565 times
Quote:

You really can't have it all....there is only so much money. If you live across the street from the school with crap test scores (and they exist, even here in *gasp* western Cary) you have a choice - travel to the school that has better scores (which ultimately mean nothing in the child's academic life). Or, put some pressure on the closer school's administration to get those scores up. Because those high scores? they don't come easy and they don't come without a lot of pressure. I have a feeling a lot of people that just had to be in our school are in for a big surprise come January (a/k/a test prep time). And everything else being equal, there's no real reason to make that trip.
Dang! You don't believe in education by osmosis? You're obviously not from around here and don't share our values (as stated by Raleigh's former mayor).

I can't rep you either. Apparently CD also adopted some sort of diversity policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary