Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2012, 08:03 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
^^Hahaha! Yes. There are some serious whiners.

My 9th grader's bus suddenly decided to arrive 5 minutes earlier than schedule today, after arriving late enough yesterday for my kid to walk back home, thinking he'd missed it. We had to take him to school two days in a row, which rather sucks. But, today I told him I guessed he'd hafta start going out there 5 minutes earlier.
Oh, I love when they do that. Same thing happened to us a couple times last year. It's so fun when they play games before the sun even comes up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 08:04 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,946,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
The comment that especially killed me was a SAHM they were interviewing on WTVD last night who basically said, "I can't believe my kids have to ride the bus for 45 minutes when we live 2 minutes from the school! I end up sitting here forever waiting for them!" I recognized the neighborhood she was being interviewed in and she could safely and easily walk to the school, get her kids, and be back home within 15 minutes
Because you know that she doesn't have anything else in her life that might limit her ability to do that? You know her personal health history and that she doesn't have any condition that might limit her ability to walk? You have her household census and know that there is no special needs person living there who might require close attention? etc ... Can we really judge somewhat based on what little bit of information the local infonews programs choose to show us?

Old 09-06-2012, 08:05 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Oh, I love when they do that. Same thing happened to us a couple times last year. It's so fun when they play games before the sun even comes up!
Yup. All before 6:30 in the morning. Delightful!

Old 09-06-2012, 08:17 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,158,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Because you know that she doesn't have anything else in her life that might limit her ability to do that? You know her personal health history and that she doesn't have any condition that might limit her ability to walk? You have her household census and know that there is no special needs person living there who might require close attention? etc ... Can we really judge somewhat based on what little bit of information the local infonews programs choose to show us?
She should be thankful her kids get transportation at all considering how close they are to the school. Wake County has no obligation to send a bus to that neighborhood. And the way it's worked for as long as I can remember is the kids closest to the school tend to be the last picked up and dropped off for whatever reason. So she can either have her kids riding the bus for 45 minutes, which is pretty average when you consider the number of stops a bus makes on a typical run, or she can walk/bike/drive/segway/horseback to the school and get them herself so they get home sooner. Wake County has no obligation to get your kids home in the same amount of time it would take you to drive to the school and back.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:38 PM

351 posts, read 770,565 times
Quote:
Can we really judge somewhat based on what little bit of information the local infonews programs choose to show us?
There are plenty of outsiders that have been judging WCPSS that way for the past few years.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byebyenortheast View Post
There are plenty of outsiders that have been judging WCPSS that way for the past few years.
Hell, I've been judging people on C-D for years!

Old 09-06-2012, 11:03 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Hell, I've been judging people on C-D for years!
I wish I could rep that.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:17 AM

Six more buses coming to the Apex area. WCPSS has now restored 40 of the 52 buses they had pulled off the road at the start of this year.

Wake adds more school buses to Apex - Education - NewsObserver.com

Old 09-09-2012, 06:17 AM

Today's N&O has a front page article discussing this year's busing problems:

Waiting on the bus: Anatomy of a Wake school debacle - Wake County - NewsObserver.com

Old 09-09-2012, 10:02 PM
MEM

123 posts, read 405,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
She should be thankful her kids get transportation at all considering how close they are to the school. Wake County has no obligation to send a bus to that neighborhood. And the way it's worked for as long as I can remember is the kids closest to the school tend to be the last picked up and dropped off for whatever reason. So she can either have her kids riding the bus for 45 minutes, which is pretty average when you consider the number of stops a bus makes on a typical run, or she can walk/bike/drive/segway/horseback to the school and get them herself so they get home sooner. Wake County has no obligation to get your kids home in the same amount of time it would take you to drive to the school and back.
Actually, I would rather my kids not walk down the highway with a speed limit of 55 with no sidewalks less than a mile to our house. So in some cases, transportation is a must. For the record, if I am unhappy with times I am more than willing to drive them myself.

Fortunately we have been tracked out while they figure this all out. I have heard that carpool is a bigger nightmare than the bus. Lines have been backed out into unsafe road conditions.

It is not the best situation but I'll work with it to get my kids to school
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary