Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2012, 12:31 PM

4,168 posts, read 4,882,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by des1rees View Post
Anyone else facing this? Since school reopened, it as been dismal. Our bus comes at 8:40...for the last two days it showed up one day at 9am, today it did not show up at all. Boys are usually home by 4p,,,last two says they are getting home after 5 and we are 5 mins away...wonder if this is going to be the trend
My son did not start riding the bus until middle school because it was much farther away. His elementary school was so close like your's that we found it much easier and convenient just to drive him to/from school ourselves and not bother with the bus at all. I know that's not an option for some parents, but the kids don't have to ride the bus just because it's provided for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 12:59 PM

22,671 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmasek73 View Post
I guess I grew up in a different era but if I lived 5 minutes from school I would be walking to and from like we did back in the day. They didnt provide bussing where I grew up unless you lived more then a mile away from school. Would certainly cut down on the bus hassles IMHO.
You are only supposed to get a bus here if you live more than 1.5 miles away. However, I know there are buses for kids who are closer, usually because of the nature of the roads they would have to walk on. Still others get one and I can't figure out why (at least at our school). Talk about a waste of money.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:21 PM

162 posts, read 292,017 times
In NJ it's 2 miles for k-8 and 2.5 miles for high school ...... I don't remember any exceptions for the type of road you had to travel - strictly based on distance.
Nor do I remember anyone complaining about it -- that's just the way it was. Frankly I've seen enough comments about 'we live 5 min / half-a-mile' etc to wonder if this isn't part of the problem.....maybe there should be more thought to guidelines for busing.
(I realize I'm setting myself up for some backlash here but obviously system is not working as is so time for some change!)

Old 08-29-2012, 02:06 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,689,217 times
I guess my younger could walk to school if there were a crossing guard to help them across Wade Ave...but if that crossing guard service was no more reliable than the bus service, I wouldn't chance it.

As for my high schooler, her walk is 2+ miles, she's done it in a pinch, but it isn't a pedestrian or bike-friendly trip.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:30 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,944,947 times
Quote:
I guess I grew up in a different era but if I lived 5 minutes from school I would be walking to and from like we did back in the day.
Uphill - both ways. Barefoot. In the snow.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:39 PM

464 posts, read 1,044,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Uphill - both ways. Barefoot. In the snow.
Of course! <grumpy old man voice> AND WE LIKED IT! </grumpy old man voice>

Old 08-29-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey919 View Post
In NJ it's 2 miles for k-8 and 2.5 miles for high school ...... I don't remember any exceptions for the type of road you had to travel - strictly based on distance.
Nor do I remember anyone complaining about it -- that's just the way it was. Frankly I've seen enough comments about 'we live 5 min / half-a-mile' etc to wonder if this isn't part of the problem.....maybe there should be more thought to guidelines for busing.
(I realize I'm setting myself up for some backlash here but obviously system is not working as is so time for some change!)

Well, one neighborhood I know of that gets a bus is off a road that has no shoulder (none, zip) and I saw a fox running across the road last year. Woods on one side and a field on the other. My DD's classroom had a snake in it a couple of years ago (yes really) and the teacher got it into a box and a parent volunteer who happened to be in the building dumped it in said field, where it probably came from. So I would say despite the fact that this development is RIGHT BEHIND the school, it's not really what you'd call walkable and I don't have a problem with the kids getting a bus. In fact, when I do occasionally see kids walking there I always wonder WTF they are thinking.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:06 PM

464 posts, read 1,044,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Well, one neighborhood I know of that gets a bus is off a road that has no shoulder (none, zip). So I would say despite the fact that this development is RIGHT BEHIND the school, it's not really what you'd call walkable and I don't have a problem with the kids getting a bus. In fact, when I do occasionally see kids walking there I always wonder WTF they are thinking.
So, they do have this wonderful invention called sidewalks / walking paths. Keeps people from walking on the street. Have they investigated putting one in to connect the neighborhood with the school? When we were walking uphill both ways to school we always had sidewalks. In my opinion they should be mandatory.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
So, they do have this wonderful invention called sidewalks / walking paths. Keeps people from walking on the street. Have they investigated putting one in to connect the neighborhood with the school? When we were walking uphill both ways to school we always had sidewalks. In my opinion they should be mandatory.
Some people really hate sidewalks. When I was growing up in NY, we had no sidewalks where I lived. Always wanted them (not sure why). Then had them when I was an adult and realized they made things look "city-ish" and were prone to buckling and breaking due to tree roots. This road I am talking about is outside the subdivision in question so there's little recourse for them. They are getting a bus, so what do they care?

Now, I walked uphill both ways to HS in NY, and across the frozen tundra of the football field to boot. I preferred when it iced over so I wouldn't sink into the snow!

Old 08-29-2012, 07:19 PM

315 posts, read 767,703 times
Am I the only one who walked uphill both ways, through the snow and freezing rain, 15 miles to school, with holes in my shoes???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary