Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2012, 07:41 PM

99 posts, read 181,988 times

Advertisements

My life was more simple I suppose. I walked to the bus stop every day except later when I was able to drive, and never thought if I was walking on a sidewalk, road, or the trail that was worn in the woods between the neighborhoods where myself, all my friends and classmates lived. Freezing Rain, Snow, Rain, or heat of the day. We did it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 07:44 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,689,906 times
Hon-eee, I rode a bus at least 10 miles each way with no heat or AC and there was always a boy with stinky breath trying to put his hand where it didn't belong. I WISH I could have walked uphill both ways!

Old 08-29-2012, 08:34 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superhero View Post
. I walked to the bus stop every day . Freezing Rain, Snow, .
Not from NC, eh?

Old 08-29-2012, 09:20 PM

464 posts, read 1,044,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Some people really hate sidewalks.
There is such a thing as a classy walking / running path like they have in RTP and around my development that is asphalt in non linear paths. Very unsidewalk-like. Oh well, like you said they don't care so why should I?

Old 08-29-2012, 10:07 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
I guess my younger could walk to school if there were a crossing guard to help them across Wade Ave...but if that crossing guard service was no more reliable than the bus service, I wouldn't chance it.

As for my high schooler, her walk is 2+ miles, she's done it in a pinch, but it isn't a pedestrian or bike-friendly trip.
Yes. One would need to come here and see Wade Ave's traffic and lack of a decent pedestrian crosswalk system to see why this would be unsuitable for a child.

I think people who've never lived or spent much time here might not comprehend just how sprawled and un-walkable some areas can be.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:09 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmasek73 View Post
Of course! <grumpy old man voice> AND WE LIKED IT! </grumpy old man voice>
Get off my lawn!

Old 08-30-2012, 08:35 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,158,302 times
Just be glad we don't live in another country. When I was teaching in Japan, there was no such thing as a school bus. And the area I lived in the train wasn't an option for most of the kids. So it was either get on a town bus, which ran once an hour if you were lucky, ride your bike, or walk. I had one student that had to ride his bike over an hour through treacherous mountain roads to get to school! You'd think that would have made him a motivated student but his ultimate goal for going to school was hanging out with his punk friends lol.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:18 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,347,028 times
Surprised I haven't seen this article posted yet:
Wake schools bus driver: 'This is the worst I've ever seen it'

Old 08-30-2012, 09:40 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,114,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Just be glad we don't live in another country. When I was teaching in Japan, there was no such thing as a school bus. And the area I lived in the train wasn't an option for most of the kids. So it was either get on a town bus, which ran once an hour if you were lucky, ride your bike, or walk. I had one student that had to ride his bike over an hour through treacherous mountain roads to get to school! You'd think that would have made him a motivated student but his ultimate goal for going to school was hanging out with his punk friends lol.
There are places on this country that don't provide busing. Nc state law does not mandate busing. It possible that busing could become very limited or even cease to exist in the future.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:58 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
There are places on this country that don't provide busing. Nc state law does not mandate busing. It possible that busing could become very limited or even cease to exist in the future.
They should put a limit on how far they'll transport kids. You want your child to bypass two elementary schools to get to another one? Fine - you take him/her yourself. With the ridiculous hour long bus rides and 5:45 start times of these routes, that is what's happening anyway. At least then the school can have an idea of how many people will car pool and be able to plan accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary