Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 08:56 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids_Dentist View Post
You guys sure can read a lot about people from their license plate I guess the same way I can infer a lot from the significant portion of people who have their name airbrushed in cursive on their front plate, ie the myrtle beach special. I actually think people here are quite over-sensitive to it. There's nothing wrong with having pride or being partial to one's home state. To infer they think they are superior based on that, well, is an inference.

But it has been about a week since a bash the northerners thread has been on the boards, so good timing!
The OP is a northern transplant.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:01 AM

867 posts, read 1,588,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongasabear View Post
First let me say I am a northerner. I moved here 4-1/2 years ago because I wanted to get out of the northeast for many reasons. I happen to love it here and could never go back. Having said that, if there is one thing I cannot stand it is people who move here and then flaunt their state as if they are forced to be here - bumper stickers, license plates, banners on their homes, etc. I get it that people have their favorite sports teams...I am not talking about that. But when you choose a NC license plate that says "new yorker for life," my first instinct is to say, Go BACK THEN IF IT'S SO GREAT! Just had to vent.
Totally agree! Well said.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:05 AM

843 posts, read 2,101,313 times
I've been in the Triangle almost 20 years. When people ask where I am from, I say NJ. If someone asks where I live I say NC. I love NC. I brag about NC every time I can. When I'm in NJ, I always talk up NC. Anyone who asks gets an earful about how great it is.
I dont want to live in NJ anymore. But it is my home State. My family is there. The food I love is there. Friends ect. So when I can, I brag on NJ too.

Whats it matter to anyone what my plate says? (I have regular plates) I don't judge every southerner with a rebel flag sticker on the car. That's their choice, and I don't KNOW why its there. They could be British for all I know.

Why is it 'flaunting' to have some pride about where they are from?

I have been thinking of putting a new bumper sticker I got on the truck...."New Jersey: Where the weak are killed and eaten"

Now that I know it may **** off someone.... I WILL!!! lol

Old 10-13-2012, 07:32 AM

146 posts, read 332,362 times
It's irritating as well. Even when I lived in Atlanta, it was the same thing. People complaining about moving down south and how much they "hate it" but yet they always brag to their family about how big of a southern house they have for half the price of a northern house.

I've always talked highly of Atlanta and Raleigh, and have always slandered New York. I'm a born and bread New Yorker that admit how that state is a Prison (if you're a New Yorker you know what I mean). After 16 years living Atlanta and being in Raleigh for 6 months I'm well educated in Southern living and I must say like the OP I ain't never going back.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:37 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Honestly with the license plate thing I think people are just going with the flow. The first time we came down here to visit I noticed right off the bat the plethora of vanity plates. And none of the ones I saw on that trip had anything to do with anywhere else, so I do not believe that that is a "transplant thing". We actually considered getting one when we got here because it almost seemed de rigeur (we ended up not because NY IS THE BEST doesn't fit on a tag - oh I KID!! I KID!!!) Seriously we didn't do it, but I think people are just trying to fit in with that and most of the good sayings are probably already gone.

However, I kind of get what the OP is saying. I blame New Jersey, because that is what any good New Yorker does

I have only recently noticed the phenomena the OP is talking about and I agree with meh.....these are the people who can't figure out why they can't fit in down here or find a way to like it.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:02 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,209,676 times
I hope I dont offend anyone that I still have WI plates, but darn it, I paid 105.00 each (self & hubby) to register them and want to wait until they are close to expiring-plus, need to save money for new plates for two cars.
We're sure not trying to offend anyone and are so HAPPY to be here!

Old 10-13-2012, 08:12 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,689,906 times
When I lived in NY it seemed vanity plates were not nearly as common, and I assume they were much more expensive there. So maybe when northerners move here they think "Cool, these are cheap, I may as well get one!" and since they are still so new to the area and feeling like an outsider, proclaiming their heritage seems like a good idea.

IMHO vanity plates are much easier to remember than a random string in a hit and run situation, so I figure it's a good thing.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:40 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,254,457 times
Funny thread. My guess is that y'all don't live with teenagers. Because if you did, you'd have REAL ANNOYANCES to live with!!!

Reminds me of my friend that has a plate that says "NATIVE NC"! She lives ITB too!!! LOL.

Vicki

Old 10-13-2012, 10:13 AM

513 posts, read 696,226 times
Probably won't "flaunt" anything on my license plate, but I will surely still be rocking my Patriots jacket, sweatshirt and red sox hats when i get down there

Old 10-13-2012, 12:09 PM

843 posts, read 2,101,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M.M View Post
Probably won't "flaunt" anything on my license plate, but I will surely still be rocking my Patriots jacket, sweatshirt and red sox hats when i get down there
Dont worry. There are more Red Sox fans here than any other team. lol There is a huge Red Sox meet up if you want to watch games with others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary