Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2013, 05:30 AM

848 posts, read 1,120,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
I grew up in Florida shopping at Publix and moved north when I was 23. My sister has since moved from south Florida to a smaller town in central Florida. When I go there I also notice that the food at Publix is not as good as I remember it. I couldn't even find good bread in their bakery. I have always assumed that this was because it was a rural area and the standards aren't as high...similar to the Lowes Foods in Oxford, NC compared to the ones in the Triangle. That Lowes is so skanky I never would shop there when we lived in Oxford.

I'm hoping that since this is going to be an upscale Publix it will be more like I remember it when I was young.
i thought Oxford was the Triangle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 08:09 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,991,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
i thought Oxford was the Triangle?
Kinda depends...you used to have to stretch the definition of the Triangle a bit to include it. But just a few months ago Oxford/Granville County was added to the Triangle's census area with the 2012 estimates. Henderson/Vance County and Sanford/Lee County were also added.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:10 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,844 times
Bringing a new supermarket chain into an area is difficult. Most people aren't familiar with it, plus typically expansions can stretch the distribution network so the cost of operations are higher. Presumably these stores will be stocked from their existing distribution center in Lawrenceville, GA, which is a pretty long haul especially from Cary.

I have a hard time seeing Publix dominating as many people are predicting.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:41 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,230,595 times
They just have to strategically build but If they want a strong foothold I think it's possible. Just look at Walgreens 10-12 years ago they were nowhere to be found here, and now they are everywhere.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:36 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times
Publix is very smart in locating stores. Regardless of location, their stores are successful.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:05 PM

164 posts, read 287,473 times
All of 2 cents here, of course: As someone who spent 21 years around Publix, and then experienced the chain grocery stores of the PNW, I was VERY disappointed.. There was never a replacement, no matter how much I seemed to spend. Then moved to NC, heard beyond fantastic things about Harris Teeter and the uproar about Kroger buying them out in areas. 2 months in?! My knee jerk is "what?! Seriously?!! Did I miss something about HT?!" *zips up the flame suit*

I am THRILLED that Publix is coming to our area. It may end up being one of the only things I enjoy about my current Cary area, that is, if they keep along with the standards of Publix in the deep south. It also, happened to be one of the only things I missed about Florida. (Sadly enough)

Old 11-25-2013, 12:41 PM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Default Publix in Raleigh, Bedford at Falls River

According to TBJ:

Publix developer picks site for first Raleigh store - Triangle Business Journal

Old 11-25-2013, 01:17 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
^

Mind Blown!

Those will be some interesting rezoning meetings!

Old 11-25-2013, 01:43 PM

436 posts, read 671,043 times
I lived in Fl. for many years and always shopped at Publix.

I just spent most of the last 6 months in Fl. assisting aging parents. Out of the 6 closest grocery stores to their home 4 were Publix (Target and Sweet Bay were the other 2).

After 6 months of Publix shopping I think they are going to need to re-think their produce department. The vast majority of vegetables were pre-packaged in styro trays with plastic wrap. Most Triangle stores let you choose your corn on the cob, green beans, etc. - which I much prefer. Their selection was pretty modest. I went to 7 stores to find bok choy for a stir fry. I don't really think bok choy is particularly exotic these days and it is quite easy to find at just about any grocery in the Triangle.

Their service was still very good and other departments compare favorably. I really like being able to purchase half-loaves of bread in their bakery! That in itself will get me to Publix regularly.

I did try to special order a few items which fell into a black hole of lost forms repeatedly.

It will be interesting!

Old 11-25-2013, 01:49 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,615,471 times
I live outside of Tampa and shopped at Publix for over 20 years. I moved to the UK for 5 years then came back and they have gone downhill. Meat and produce are not the same quality they used to be. I still love their bakery though.
We are moving to Cary so I was glad to hear they were going to have Publix there someday. I guess it is because I dont know anything about the other grocery stores there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary