Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 10:27 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post

If they are in good condition, good location (no power lines, no roads), and are priced right, they are selling.

Vicki
Call me crazy but I've always liked having electricity and a way to drive my car to the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 10:39 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Go ahead and look now. Offer if you see a good house. Don't wait, if buying a house this year is your goal.

Houses in your price range that are good AND in the area where you want to buy, honestly do go very fast.

?
Agree. They go fast and what you like may have all dried up by the time May rolls around.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:41 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
With how awful loan officers are at their job I wouldn't be surprised if you put an offer on a house in March but couldn't close until June. I have a friend that works as a real estate lawyer and she says she can't remember the last time a closing happened as planned. When we closed on our house the date got pushed back three times because the loan officer kept forgetting to do little things. We ended up closing on the same day we had to be out of our apartment. Talk about stressful!

Old 02-13-2013, 10:57 AM

171 posts, read 318,866 times
Quote:
It sounds like you're ready.

You mentioned Wellesley, parts of Preston (which parts?)... Are you going for specific schools or do you just like the mature trees/age of homes and so forth?
We have a strong preference for the neighborhoods with mature trees, etc. Preston still seems so large/sprawling to me that I can't pinpoint one neighborhood over another off the top of my head (any advice?). There are quite a few that are way beyond our price point and yet others that have seemed a bit "rundown" (for lack of a better word). We are of course concerned with schools but we'll work with what we end up with. I like the idea of the kids going to Weatherstone Elementary if possible...I've heard decent things and the overcrowding doesn't seem to be an issue. I know it's also the overflow school for a number of the schools on the verge of capping.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:00 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
With how awful loan officers are at their job I wouldn't be surprised if you put an offer on a house in March but couldn't close until June. I have a friend that works as a real estate lawyer and she says she can't remember the last time a closing happened as planned. When we closed on our house the date got pushed back three times because the loan officer kept forgetting to do little things. We ended up closing on the same day we had to be out of our apartment. Talk about stressful!
We offered in November. Wanted to close before Christmas. Still have not closed.

Sellers held us up. Go figure.

I am thinking it'll be a 90-day closing. We really wanted a 30-day.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:47 AM

564 posts, read 872,959 times
Interesting thread. I have also seen that the inventory is very low. We have been thinking about moving up in home size. Just wondering as to what the new price point is in which it is a buyers market.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:50 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
We offered in November. Wanted to close before Christmas. Still have not closed.

Sellers held us up. Go figure.

I am thinking it'll be a 90-day closing. We really wanted a 30-day.
Wow...90 days to close?!!

I had a VA loan that closed 2 weeks late and a USDA loan that closed 30 days late but all my buyers going conventional or FHA are closing as scheduled.

Lenders aren't the only issue...goverment regulations are slowing things down!

Vicki

Old 02-13-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Wow...90 days to close?!!

I had a VA loan that closed 2 weeks late and a USDA loan that closed 30 days late but all my buyers going conventional or FHA are closing as scheduled.

Lenders aren't the only issue...goverment regulations are slowing things down!

Vicki
Our sellers had some things to clear up so that the title was clear. Took WAY longer than we figured. Our CU's average close time is 30-45 days.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:07 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
We were doing the FHA and closed three weeks late. "Oh you mean I should have verified employment sooner than the day of closing?"

Old 02-13-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
We were doing the FHA and closed three weeks late. "Oh you mean I should have verified employment sooner than the day of closing?"
HA! Similar thing right now with our lender. So odd!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary