Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 04:52 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,873,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Beautiful post. I completely agree.

I suspect that most of the insensitive idiots who see that land and dollar signs start to flash before their eyes never visited Dix OR knew anyone who benefitted from treatment there.

Dorothea Dix was an amazing woman. That land and the facility built there were a part of her legacy and mission to humanely treat people who are mentally ill.

This whole situation is just sad.
Thank you! And thanks to those who feel as I do about our obligation to our neighbors and the use of this land.

You summarized it well in your first sentence. It typically takes a personal or family crisis for folks to fully comprehend how this area lacks services and support for the mentally ill. The folks who work in the field with this constituency are our heroes! Not the stupid sports figures, and Hollywood types.

Dix was amazing, ahead of her time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 06:06 AM

5,893 posts, read 6,961,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Then, there is the issue of the land actually being donated by Dorothea Dix for the PURPOSE of mental health care.
Is there a link for this? The info in Wiki doesn't mention the donation.
Dorothea Dix Hospital - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-22-2013, 06:19 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,944,947 times
Quote:
Then, there is the issue of the land actually being donated by Dorothea Dix for the PURPOSE of mental health care. It wasn't donated for a public park or condos or whatever govt wanted to do with it. We have no right to use the land for other purposes
Them's fightin' words - I expect much vocal debate now over the rule against perpetuities. Anyone?

Old 03-22-2013, 06:29 AM

334 posts, read 867,754 times
A lot of information here that is not true. The hospital was named after Dorothea Dix for her work. She did not build the hospital or donate any land. She was an activist that lobbied state legislatures to provide facilities and treatment for the mentally ill.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:44 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,944,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdanville View Post
A lot of information here that is not true. The hospital was named after Dorothea Dix for her work. She did not build the hospital or donate any land. She was an activist that lobbied state legislatures to provide facilities and treatment for the mentally ill.
Perhaps the history is incorrectly stated, but it does seem there were some restrictions placed on the land, per the N&O:

Quote:
There is no deed that dates to 1848; that’s the year the legislature agreed to found a psychiatric hospital. An 1857 deed – provided by Senate leader Phil Berger’s office – says the first 12-acre tract is “in trust for the use and benefit of the North Carolina State Hospital for the Insane.â€
RALEIGH: Senate committee votes to revoke Dorothea Dix lease | State Politics | NewsObserver.com

Old 03-22-2013, 06:48 AM

181 posts, read 387,536 times
Agree with you 100%. I have a close family member who is a
psychiatrist. The stories I hear regarding the way some of these people are treated simply b/c their illness isn't one you can see is appalling. On top of that some of the backward and and crazy regulations/rules they have to follow before they can attempt to do something to help the situation or person... I'll stop before this rant gets longer. Suffice to say that They could have built the new facility in Butner and kept Dix open and there still wouldn't be enough beds or space to [SIZE=3]adequately[/SIZE]
(adequate in the opinions or doctors, nurses and social workers; not insurance people or politicians) fulfill the need.

Quote:
Like TomPope, I fear this is the tip of the iceburg. And like Poggly, I felt sick. I have lived in Raleigh since 1974 and honestly do not remember a time when our local politicians behaved this way, and so frequently and blatantly. I feel that the majority of them are in it for personal gain, and they don't give a toss about our community. in fact, I am becoming increasingly disgusted with our representatives on the local, state and national level. And, I can no longer remain neutral regarding our Governor as he didn't take long to show his stripes. His smarmy attitude gets under my skin.

Dix was meant for the treatment of the mentally ill. I am tired of hearing how mental health treatment has changed and that there isn't the need for this campus anymore. Clearly these folks making these decisions haven't seen what Law Enforcement Officers see, what Social Workers deal with, what teachers have to put up with from troubled youth who need intervention or emergency evaluation. When I worked in a local non-profit, I'd say a large % of their clients was in need of some sort of mental health care.

The state of mental health care in this county and country is abysmal. A country as wealthy and with as many great minds as this one has could impact so many lives if this were made a national and local priority. Sadly, most people aren't aware of the challenges many of our neighbors face due to lack of good mental health care. Since Dix closed, these people have paid the price. There is often nowhere local to take people. The Dix property could have been a national model of MH care if politicans really knew what was needed for this community and actually cared about providing a solution for this crisis. But no, it's more important that we have a park, across from a park, and we remove those "people" with MH needs out of town. For leaders to think that the capital city of one of the fastest growing cities in the country didn't need Dix, is beyond shameful...i have no words to describe the disgust I feel about this.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:54 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,655,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Is there a link for this? The info in Wiki doesn't mention the donation.
Dorothea Dix Hospital - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Exactly. Nobody donated land. The hospital is simply named after Dorothea Dix.

And if I'm reading it correctly, only 12 acres, out of the 182 acres purchased, are to be set aside for the purpose of mental health.

NC DSOHF: History of Dorothea Dix Hospital

Old 03-22-2013, 07:00 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
Exactly. Nobody donated land. The hospital is simply named after Dorothea Dix.

And if I'm reading it correctly, only 12 acres, out of the 182 acres purchased, are to be set aside for the purpose of mental health.

NC DSOHF: History of Dorothea Dix Hospital
It's not as simple as it being named after her. She chose the site for very specific reasons. And it wasn't initially named after her.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:16 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,623,048 times
There's a book available, if anyone is interested in the complete story:

Haven on the Hill: A History of North Carolina's Dorothea Dix Hospital: Marjorie O'Rorke: 9780865263321: Amazon.com: Books

Old 03-22-2013, 08:44 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,946,248 times
I think that nobody, party affilliation dem or gop, would have any problem with this if the intent was to take the entirety of the land and use it to benefit the mentally ill in some way. I have a feeling that the state GOP is singing that song to woo public opinion so that they will ignore the fact that they are illegally voiding a legally binding lease. In the end they will do something completely different with it. It will be sold to developers etc. Just wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary