Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 03:31 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,252,729 times

Advertisements

I do not live in Raleigh, but have been visiting the area quite a bit since 2006. I have visited at different times of the year, but my extended stays are usually in the summers ranging from a few weeks up to 2 months. Well, over the last few years I have noticed an increase in traffic in the area, but this year it appears to be REALLY noticeable. Now, it is still not comparable to South Florida's traffic, but quite an increase compared to 7 years ago.

One of the noticeable difference in the traffic pattern is the amount of cars on the road during non rush hour (before 4:00PM). For example, driving north or south on Capital between 440 and 401 there is quite a bit of cars on the road. Traffic is not bumper to bumper, but lots of traffic, I call it moving traffic. I also notice an increase in traffic on 440 and 540. Still, compared to other major cities, I feel the traffic is bearable even though many locals find it bad.

Another difference I have noticed is the increase of impatient drivers like I see back home in South Florida. I do not want to exaggerate and write that it is comparable to South Florida, because it is not, but drivers cutting people off, speeding up when one has the signal light to change lanes so the car is unable to change lanes is seen more and more now. It is still no where near like South Florida, but it is becoming more visible to me when I am on the road.

I would like to conclude that all in all driving in the Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill area is a pleasure compared to many other cities. I still feel this area has a "superior" quality of life compared to most cities I have visited. However, if the increase in traffic continues at this rate, driving in this area would not be enjoyable and actually a hassle within the next 10-15 years.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:01 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,170,204 times
You are so right.

The morons in power do not understand that roads are self-defeating and rail is now a necessity.

Instead of choking off stupid, long commutes, roads are widened to just make more people move further out enriching the real estate and development vendors.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:04 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,743,435 times
You're right!

I avoid Capital Blvd. Haven't driven on that road more than a few times in a decade.

If you live around here though it's not such a shock because it's happened gradually. But just out doing everyday errands during the week can be a huge difference from several years ago as far as cars on the less traveled roads. They're not so uncongested these days.

The other day I drove up the the Oxford area, up Creedmoor Rd., and it was sooooo refreshing. Just a beautiful drive for peaceful beautiful scenery. The farms, horses out to pasture, the fresh air, like fresh cut whatever it was, I'm not sure....it was so wonderful. Made me realize how much Raleigh has changed.

best,
toodie

Old 06-20-2013, 04:21 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,240,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
I do not live in Raleigh, but have been visiting the area quite a bit since 2006.

Well, over the last few years I have noticed an increase in traffic in the area, but this year it appears to be REALLY noticeable.

However, if the increase in traffic continues at this rate, driving in this area would not be enjoyable and actually a hassle within the next 10-15 years.
The population keeps growing and infrastructure can't keep up. Someone started a thread about how Wake County is running out of land for future schools! It's unfortunate and I don't see things improving anytime soon.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:40 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Yup. Cary is really crowded, too. Again, this is compared to 7 years ago. But, I can tell a difference just in the past year.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:56 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,252,227 times
Capital Blvd. is the WORST no matter what time of day and it has been that way since I have lived here and I've been here since the '70s!

Maybe if we turned all roads into toll roads, including Capital Blvd., the traffic would disappear?!!

Vicki

Old 06-20-2013, 06:05 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,809,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Capital Blvd. is the WORST no matter what time of day and it has been that way since I have lived here and I've been here since the '70s!

Maybe if we turned all roads into toll roads, including Capital Blvd., the traffic would disappear?!!

Vicki
I still think driving Capital to Mini City three times a week back in the 80s caused me to go into pre-term labor!

Old 06-20-2013, 10:44 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,986 times
Ya don't spoze the Triangle landing on any number of "best of" lists has anything to do with it, do ya? Ironic, because at this rate we'll be dropping off those lists in no time.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:46 AM

334 posts, read 867,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCanWrite View Post
Ya don't spoze the Triangle landing on any number of "best of" lists has anything to do with it, do ya? Ironic, because at this rate we'll be dropping off those lists in no time.
Dropping off the lists would be a positive. People move here from places that have been ruined with traffic and over development. I don't blame them for moving.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:57 AM

564 posts, read 873,565 times
Coming from Atlanta (and previously from Chicago), I think the traffic here is a dream. I love my 20 minute commute versus my previous commute times of 1-1/2 hours each way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary