Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 08:08 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
also, we do NOT have Chicago pizza here, nor affordable high quality steak places. I say the steak item since I'm stereotyping big-shouldered market-center Chicago as a place where sides of beef come cheap and plentiful.
Actually we do have Chicago pizza. The Brier Creek Uno's closed, but there is Rosati's in Morrisville. I'd rate their pizza about a 7/10. Also, it may not be perfect, but there are Ruth's Chris Steakhouses in Raleigh, Durham and Cary. I haven't tried them yet.

Brandon, are you asking about crime in your "go/no go" question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 08:13 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,235,896 times
Open doors, for everyone, people do that here.

Chill out on the driving techniques. People will let you in here and almost no one honks, ever. Definitely get a designated driver or cab if you are drinking. You need to plan ahead more with this than in chicago.

I hope you have a good navigation system or smart phone with it as you'll get lost A LOT at first. It's tough to find things as everything is hidden by trees!

Enjoy!

Old 07-24-2013, 08:50 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Actually we do have Chicago pizza. The Brier Creek Uno's closed, but there is Rosati's in Morrisville. I'd rate their pizza about a 7/10. Also, it may not be perfect, but there are Ruth's Chris Steakhouses in Raleigh, Durham and Cary. I haven't tried them yet.

Brandon, are you asking about crime in your "go/no go" question?
of course we have steakhouses - I was just stereotyping - as I said - that certainly we didn't have cheap big slabs of quality beef. Heck, perhaps the prices of Ruth's Chris & Sullivan's here would be cheap for Chi-town.

On the pizza, having been NOT from Chicago nor the pleasure of visiting, I can only go on complaints of the dearth of REAL Chicago pizza from others. A man that has to drive 40 minutes to the 1 viable pie place is not likely to be cheerful about it.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:43 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,686,955 times
When people say "have a blessed day" you say "you, too!" whether you are religious or not. They really mean it!

I don't think you have anything to worry about here. It is a nice place to live. Take it like anything else you do that seems overwhelming. One day at a time.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:03 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,207,522 times
Have to agree with Francois. I moved a year ago from Milwaukee-a 90 min. drive from you-and I use my GPS for everything. I knew Milwaukee well enough because I lived there my whole life-now I have no idea where i am or where I'm going. The streets all curve.. I get so confused. I have a small map, but really need to find a couple good ones-even for the city I live in (Clayton).

If you have time, just explore. I stumbled across cameron village one day and we had a great time checking out some of the shops-especially Cheshire cat gallery (antiques, crap, etc) and I took the kids last week to the marbles kids museum and wished my little one wasnt being such a turkey since I would have like to have just walked around a bit. People were lining the sidewalks eating with friends and dogs-was a very relaxed atmosphere. It reminded me of a neighborhood back home.

Hey Brandon, If you happen to have a Grebes Bakery nearby, I need to place my order-my kids keep whining about needed a filled coffee cake!!!!

Old 07-25-2013, 06:31 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
When I moved here in 2005 I too loved over by lake Lynn. Nice area with easy access to I-540. My suggestion is to make sure you get out there and explore Raleigh and don't neglect all the great opportunities in Durham and Chapel Hill. They make for great afternoon trips on the weekends. Just a few suggestions to see what's out thereof the top of my head:

Check out a food truck Rodeo
Visit trophy brewing in Raleigh and Fullsteam Brewery in Durham
Catch some live music at weaver street Market in Carrboro or the Raleigh amphitheater
The Durham Farmers Market is great (and has food trucks serving breakfast)
Great coffee? Jubala in North Raleigh, CocoaCinnamon in Durham, Morning Times DT Raleigh, Open Eye Cafe Carrboro
There are lots of great brewery run clubs (run 3-5 miles) then drink a pint. Great way to meet people.
Go downtown and visit local art galleries on Raleigh "First Friday"

Old 07-25-2013, 06:38 AM

41 posts, read 80,876 times
That's helpful! Thanks!

Old 07-25-2013, 06:43 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon719 View Post
I'm ok with the heat and humidity. I'll take that tradeoff over snow anytime.
You know, I used to think that. Now my family is exploring moving up to Chicago lol. I'm sure after a couple of years up there I'll be ready to return to our awful summers.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:46 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
Oh yeah and watch out for the snapping turtles and copperheads on Lake Lynn. I lived on that lake for several years and we always had to watch out for those buggers while on the trail.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:02 PM

41 posts, read 80,876 times
Well I'm settled in. We'll see what happens
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary