Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2018, 07:28 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,274,742 times

Advertisements

Excited to be getting outside again today. Going to walk part of the Loblolly trail and then take an unnamed side trail by Reedy Creek Lake. Hopefully there's still some ice and snow around to make it interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 12:21 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,597,424 times
Today is such a beautiful day! Loving my time outside!

Old 01-09-2018, 06:38 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
Excited to be getting outside again today. Going to walk part of the Loblolly trail and then take an unnamed side trail by Reedy Creek Lake. Hopefully there's still some ice and snow around to make it interesting.
What did you think of Loblolly?

Old 01-09-2018, 09:42 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,872,199 times
A real shame about the damage at Quail Ridge Books. The people in the nearby apartment have a though time as well.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
What did you think of Loblolly?
I think it's amazing how these trails can be so unique and different from each other even though they're in the same park. I found it so much easier to navigate with the lack of rocky terrain and it smelled great too with all the pines. There's just something about walking on pine needles, I can't get enough of it.

I took a left when I got to the creek crossing and followed it all the way around Reedy Creek Lake. I even crossed the creek on a fallen tree stump which was scary but fun.

Most of the trail was well beaten so I didn't have an issue until I started going around the lake. I completely lost the trail there (if there even was one) so I was carefully picking my way through the slopes. It was different, that's for sure.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:16 AM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
I think it's amazing how these trails can be so unique and different from each other even though they're in the same park. I found it so much easier to navigate with the lack of rocky terrain and it smelled great too with all the pines. There's just something about walking on pine needles, I can't get enough of it.

I took a left when I got to the creek crossing and followed it all the way around Reedy Creek Lake. I even crossed the creek on a fallen tree stump which was scary but fun.

Most of the trail was well beaten so I didn't have an issue until I started going around the lake. I completely lost the trail there (if there even was one) so I was carefully picking my way through the slopes. It was different, that's for sure.
Awesome!

Yeah loblolly is my favorite for a relatively "quick" hike at Umstead.

My favorite trail in the whole park is the Sycamore loop. The only issue is that it is right smack dab in the middle of the park and you have to hike all the way down to the creek and then half-way around the Company Mill loop....and back.

Round trip it's almost 10 miles from the Reedy Creek parking lot and back so more of a "pack a lunch" hike because you'll be there all day. If you have that kind of time and are up for that type of a hike I highly recommend it. Sycamore trail has one small offshoot on the western side of the loop that takes you to a waterfall at the edge of the Sycamore Lake.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Awesome!

Yeah loblolly is my favorite for a relatively "quick" hike at Umstead.

My favorite trail in the whole park is the Sycamore loop. The only issue is that it is right smack dab in the middle of the park and you have to hike all the way down to the creek and then half-way around the Company Mill loop....and back.

Round trip it's almost 10 miles from the Reedy Creek parking lot and back so more of a "pack a lunch" hike because you'll be there all day. If you have that kind of time and are up for that type of a hike I highly recommend it. Sycamore trail has one small offshoot on the western side of the loop that takes you to a waterfall at the edge of the Sycamore Lake.
I like Sycamore because of the access to the creek but I don't do the whole thing. I go to the Glenwood Ave entrance and start from the Sycamore parking lot and go east on the Camp Sycamore Access Road and then go south once I get to the trail.

To me, each of the trails has a 'personality' and Sycamore is all about the water access. Loblolly is a more leisurely path. Company Mill can be challenging but I feel like it has it all. Elevation, challenge, water, different trail conditions, more remote feeling. I bring a protein bar with me when I do the Company Mill but it usually takes me a while because I'm always stopping to take photos of plants or mushrooms or the creek or something.

I haven't done a 10 mile hike yet, although I'm working up to it. Gotta lose some pounds first and make that easier!

Old 01-10-2018, 08:25 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,677,766 times
Really hope I can find a house for under $200K this summer.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:43 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
Really hope I can find a house for under $200K this summer.
Where are you looking? That's low for a SFH. Maybe a townhome.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:50 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,677,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Where are you looking? That's low for a SFH. Maybe a townhome.
Yeah the only thing I worry about with the townhomes are the HOA restrictions as far as roommates go. I always live with at least 2 roommates to keep the expenses down. I'm aggressively trying to save up between now and the beginning of September to have a larger down payment to play with. Could potentially afford up to $250K but I'd prefer not to. Might have to move to Wilmington or Greensboro to find what I'm looking for.

Side note: just went for a walk. It's beautiful out again today!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary