Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2018, 06:39 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,272,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Perfect day to get a good 5+ miler in at Umstead. That won't be happening again for the forecastable future!
I'm going in a few hours. This time I intend to stay on the Loblolly trail. That will be the last hiking trail that I haven't walked, which saddens me.

Now I'm looking forward to spring to see how the trail views change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 05:03 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Schools all closed tomorrow...indicative of the storm being a bust. We'll see.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:41 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Lots of birds at the feeders today. I’m not as good as my mom was at ID-I guess them but I’ve seen cardinals (male and female), tufted titmice, chickadees, downy woodpecker, red-bellied woodpecker, Carolina wren, some kind of sparrow (white-throated, song), towhee, some kind of tiny little gray bird I don’t know — looked like a mini junco the size of a chickadee.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:54 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,535 times
Random thought of the day is 'snow'
White, fluffy, falling snow.
Down as a flake piles up by the inch.

From the Sand Hills in the south
to North Hills in Raleigh,
to South Hills in Durham
to Round Hill in Virginia.
Snow, Snow, Snow, Snow!

So if Snow is falling on your head,
wear a hat, if its falling on your car's roof,
drive home and watch it through the window.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:04 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
My Bluebird box is now hosting a group of seven or eight Bluebirds nightly. I put it up by the house late fall and they discovered it almost immediately. I have to clean out the poop about twice weekly and fill it with fresh pine straw. They'll be fighting over in early Spring for a nesting site

Old 01-18-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
My Bluebird box is now hosting a group of seven or eight Bluebirds nightly. I put it up by the house late fall and they discovered it almost immediately. I have to clean out the poop about twice weekly and fill it with fresh pine straw. They'll be fighting over in early Spring for a nesting site
I can't wait until I can do this too. I never got to see blubirds when we lived in NY.

Is the entry hole smaller than normal to keep out big birds?

Old 01-18-2018, 01:46 PM

Took a walk around Lake Johnson's unpaved side today. I was pretty warm except for certain spots. My wool socks and Salomon sneakers kept my feet toasty warm and dry.

Stopped to talk to a few people, offered to take photos for them. People are so nice here.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
I can't wait until I can do this too. I never got to see blubirds when we lived in NY.

Is the entry hole smaller than normal to keep out big birds?
1 1/2" entry hole for BB. Put a box up now in the most open spot in your yard. Don't mount it to a tree or your house. Start attracting them now with the use of dried mealworms. You can mix them with seeds or use them alone in a feeder. Sunflower seed hearts are great too.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
1 1/2" entry hole for BB. Put a box up now in the most open spot in your yard. Don't mount it to a tree or your house. Start attracting them now with the use of dried mealworms. You can mix them with seeds or use them alone in a feeder. Sunflower seed hearts are great too.
I don't have a house yet.

Thank you for the tips though, one of the things I'm really excited about is having a big yard, bird houses, feeders, hummingbirds. I have a fairly serious camera with a zoom lens and tripod so I'd love to be able to photograph them too.

Do you have a baffle on the supporting pole to keep snakes away? I don't know if they bother bird houses.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post

Do you have a baffle on the supporting pole to keep snakes away? I don't know if they bother bird houses.
I do use a baffle on the pole and a predator guard on the front of the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary