Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2020, 04:24 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
According to someone in Politics and Other Controversies, Downtown Raleigh is now a ghost town. This is news to me; aren’t there still a couple of new buildings on the way? Didn’t they just open a new Publix not even three months ago? I’m confused.
Quite a few of the folks over in that section of C-D reside in a state of delusion and fantasy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2020, 04:31 PM

8,801 posts, read 10,236,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
It was a ghost town about 50 years ago too.
You don't even have to go back that far, I remember walking around the Fayetteville Street pedestrian mall in 2005 and there was not much going on, although there was one hotdog vendor who was selling some of the best hotdogs I've ever had. Seems like opening that road to vehicular traffic got the ball rolling on bringing some life to DTR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Quite a few of the folks over in that section of C-D reside in a state of delusion and fantasy.
It is a good place to grab some popcorn and watch "fireworks"

Old 12-07-2020, 04:43 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
You don't even have to go back that far, I remember walking around the Fayetteville Street pedestrian mall in 2005 and there was not much going on, although there was one hotdog vendor who was selling some of the best hotdogs I've ever had. Seems like opening that road to vehicular traffic got the ball rolling on bringing some life to DTR.
I just hated when they dug up Fayetteville St. in the mid 70’s. I just couldn’t believe it.

Old 12-07-2020, 05:12 PM

8,801 posts, read 10,236,737 times
Quote:
I just hated when they dug up Fayetteville St. in the mid 70’s. I just couldn’t believe it.

I knew it had been around awhile but I didn't realize the pedestrian mall went back that far. I guess back then the city was trying to go for a DC National Mall type or something?

Old 12-07-2020, 05:31 PM

773 posts, read 645,134 times
Quote:
I knew it had been around awhile but I didn't realize the pedestrian mall went back that far. I guess back then the city was trying to go for a DC National Mall type or something?
The concept wasn't an attempt to mimic the National Mall, which is really a linear park.

"America’s first downtown pedestrian mall appeared in Kalamazoo, Mich., in 1959. At their height, more than 200 cities blocked off traffic in prime downtown business districts in hopes that by removing cars and trucks, people would flock to the city and bring life to retail and business districts facing decline.

But many of the pedestrian malls were ill-planned and had little purpose. Because so few people lived downtown, the malls became lifeless after work, attracting crime and loiterers, rather than large crowds. According to some estimates, of all the pedestrian malls that have dotted American cities in past years, fewer than 15 percent remain today."

https://www.governing.com/columns/ur...ian-malls.html

Old 12-07-2020, 05:45 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Yeah, they thought the mall would help revitalize downtown. I believe the idea modeled another project in a city in the northwest, but I just can’t remember which one.

Old 12-07-2020, 05:50 PM

1,326 posts, read 722,717 times
Quote:
I actually kind of miss the old mall a little bit. I mean I thought it sounded so great when they decided to get rid of it and go back the street just because it seemed more original and classic. At the time it made a lot of sense with the push towards revitalizing downtown.

But I wasn't as much of a fan once it was done. It was so much nicer to walk around without the street and the traffic, and there were places to sit and events were so much easier. It just seemed more like a place to spend time like the pedestrian streets that are so popular in Europe (not that it was ever really like those) and even the commercial version at The Streets at Southpoint. The redone Moore Square Park creates some of the same kinds of spaces though, so that's been nice, but it's not quite as central.

Old 12-07-2020, 06:44 PM

405 posts, read 316,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
According to someone in Politics and Other Controversies, Downtown Raleigh is now a ghost town. This is news to me; aren’t there still a couple of new buildings on the way? Didn’t they just open a new Publix not even three months ago? I’m confused.
I am confused too.

Hoffman just started demo and site work for their new $ 300 million development on Peace Street. Some folks aren’t waiting until COVID-19 goes away, I suppose.

Old 12-07-2020, 07:39 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,475,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
That might even be an understatement.

Old 12-08-2020, 03:56 PM

1,326 posts, read 722,717 times
My husband came home this evening from the grocery store with a 12 pack of low calorie beer. I don't recommend it. I can't quite put my finger on what it tastes like. It's sort of fruity and medicinal tasting...mouth rinse maybe??? Anyway, anyone want 10 low calorie beers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary