Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2021, 08:25 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I believe so far this year every time I take the dog out to pee it’s raining
You made me laugh. I can't believe how much rain we have had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2021, 06:30 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
Did anyone else notice that there are more "moving to NC/Triangle" threads now? It wasn't this crazy before, right? Or was it?
I think you can thank the pandemic making more medical staff and also remote work for the assist. My job will go from indefinite remote work to full remote in September and I’m probably moving away since I won’t need to commute to Mebane frequently anymore.

Old 02-13-2021, 07:44 PM

740 posts, read 472,187 times
Yesterday I took my 84 year old pops to get his 2nd vaccine shot. We stopped at a Dunkin' Ds to get some coffee and muffins. At the counter as we rec'd our order, my pops asked the young lady behind the counter if we could stay/dine in the shop...

The young lady looked a little nervous (probably trying to remember the specific response to this potential question that her management had specified she was to give, if asked- most likely about ventilation, in hindsight) and then blurted out, 'No, there isn't enough... clean air for more than just us... sorry.'

I sagely nodded in acknowledgement of that universal truth but then noticed my pops with a wicked grin opening his mouth no doubt to say something inappropriate and elbowed him and ushered him quickly out of the shop.

Outside he said, 'I was only going to tell her that Whole Foods is having a sale on clean air.'

The covid isolation is making him weird... yet oddly more funny.

Old 02-14-2021, 04:21 PM

2,110 posts, read 2,723,610 times
I realize I'm the only railfan on this board. However, if
anyone likes trains or has kids that likes trains and this
helps them, I wanted to share it. I got this heads up from
some fellow railfans...

"Major Heads Up: Q410-14 OD in WAX 15:00 with CSX 911, 3194, 1776."

Then this...

"Q410 has officially left Waycross with 911 & 3194 up front with 1776 as a DPU"

This is major news and every railfan I know will be trying to get this train.
The first quote means CSX train Q410-14 will be leaving Waycross, GA and
going north to Selkirk, NY on the A Line. It will have three engines on it and
all three are special paint schemes. The only special paint schemes CSX has ever
done. CSX 911 is the "Honoring First Responders" paint scheme. CSX 3194 is
the "Honoring Our Law Enforcement" paint scheme. CSX 1776 is the "Honoring
Our Veterans" paint scheme. All three are awesome looking!

The second quote means the train has left Waycross and is enroute to Selkirk.
It has to stop in Florence, SC to work that yard on the way. Unless they switch
the power around it should be 911 leading, followed by 3194 and 1776 as a
DPU (Distributed Power Unit) either in the middle or the back? It's a short train
supposedly, only 112 cars as of now?

The CSX A Line goes through Dillon, SC then Parkton, Fayetteville, Dunn, Benson,
Wilson, Rocky Mount, NC etc. As of now it should pass through Fayetteville, NC
about 6:00 AM? Train schedules are rarely if ever correct, just a FWIW. Sadly for me
I will miss this train due to work... unless it actually comes through Fayetteville at 6:00?
If it did, I could drive down there, get it then be back in Sanford for my first delivery at 7:30?

I know most on here are rolling their eyes, muttering get a life, etc about this and that's fine.
I posted it to try and help anyone I can enjoy the best hobby in the world! Plus it's a very rare event...

Old 02-14-2021, 05:51 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by builder24car View Post
I know most on here are rolling their eyes, muttering get a life, etc about this and that's fine.
I posted it to try and help anyone I can enjoy the best hobby in the world! Plus it's a very rare event...
I’m not rolling my eyes

I always sleep with a window open an inch or so. When I lived in Raleigh I could sometimes hear late at night the sound of a train horn. I could occasionally hear the rumbling of a train coming down the track. I assumed it was coming from somewhere around Atlantic Ave. as a train was passing under the beltline. I don’t hear it down here. There was something comforting about the sound of that train. I guess the closest tracks run close to Myrtle Beach and Conway.

Old 02-14-2021, 08:19 PM

2,110 posts, read 2,723,610 times
Thanks Poggly! There is already a video on Youtube of them coming
through Georgia and they looked sharp! Not my video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRMO_i3mkqQ

Old 02-14-2021, 09:46 PM

1,462 posts, read 657,996 times
Thanks24car. I come from a long line of train lovers. I love the sound of the whistle at night. Honoring First Responders, Veterans and Law Enfprcement is really special. What a great idea.

Last edited by Shallow Hal; 02-14-2021 at 10:02 PM..

Old 02-15-2021, 08:37 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,533,793 times
Today is Presidents' Day? No mention of it on wral.com. But they did tell me that Wake County students will be returning to in-person classes today.

Old 02-15-2021, 11:34 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
Today is Presidents' Day? No mention of it on wral.com. But they did tell me that Wake County students will be returning to in-person classes today.
It sure is. I put out my American flag early this morning, and it’s the only one on my street.

Old 02-15-2021, 02:15 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary